Cracked Corners in my mouth

Options
2»

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yep! Malabsorption from gastric bypass keeps me from absorbing B12. It was actually my neurologist who began the shots after I complained to him about my toes hurting, and the mouth sores. He said that even with normal lab values, the malabsorption keeps one from absorbing enough to sustain a healthy central nervous system (it was neuropathy setting in my feet and the B12 helps!).
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't know how helpful this will be, for the OP, but in my experience, by taking a daily multivitamin (I like the Flintstones Complete chewable one, which has a lot of the US RDAs at 100%) and a daily calcium gummy (I like Vitafusion with Vitamin D, too, which helps the body absorb the calcium), by using facial moisturizer daily, and by using chapstick, I can minimize the dry, red, chapped spots on my face. I also eat quite a bit of sodium and fat from boullion cubes in cups of hot water (one per cup) throughout the day. This helps me stay clear-headed and relatively crack-free.

I've never really been a fan of crack ;)
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    @Blu3Hea7en This is a common complaint that we see in the clinic. As people have posted above, it is usually associated with Vit B deficiency, riboflavin in particular. A Vit B complex supplement is advised. If the problem persist you should see a doctor
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Mouth issues can definitely be caused by a vitamin B deficiency! I take vitamin B12 shots, weekly, and when I am a couple of days late I will develop mouth ulcers. They go away once I get my shot!

Any idea why pills didn't sufficiently elevate your B-12 level?

I think it's just an absorption issue. As far as I know, the best oral form is methylcobalamine and should be taken in high doses so that you can meet your needs. But the most common form is cyanocobalamine, which is just a waste of money.

I had no idea there were different types of B12. I'll have to dig into it.

Thanks for the information - much appreciated!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Blu3Hea7en wrote: »
    Ever since I started LCHF the corners of my lips have split and haven't seemed to heal at all. Anyone else experience severe dry mouth?

Before anyone asks- yes I drink water. Half my body in ounces. EVERYDAY. I'm moisturizing my lips to the MAX! I don't know whats going on.

So, you could certainly be deficient in vitamin B, most people probably are. But, the bold typed statement tells me this is dehydration. Why would B Vitamins suddenly plummet?
    Get you some sodium and a good magnesium. If you already have, take more.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @Blu3Hea7en have you found any relief from the cracked lips
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Blu3Hea7en wrote: »
    Ever since I started LCHF the corners of my lips have split and haven't seemed to heal at all. Anyone else experience severe dry mouth?

Before anyone asks- yes I drink water. Half my body in ounces. EVERYDAY. I'm moisturizing my lips to the MAX! I don't know whats going on.

So, you could certainly be deficient in vitamin B, most people probably are. But, the bold typed statement tells me this is dehydration. Why would B Vitamins suddenly plummet?
    Get you some sodium and a good magnesium. If you already have, take more.

Yeah, that's my thought, too, especially since a whole foods based LCHF diet (ie - not living on Quest bars and Atkins shakes) contains plenty of sources of the entire complex.