Team 9

Options

Replies

• jenniferstavich
    jenniferstavich Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Busting my butt this week! It's a rest day for me but I'll get that mama Mia dance in. Go team!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Only 2 more days for week2 of the Spring Break Training challenge ... and week 1 of the Amazing Race ... I took a look at the spreadsheet and we, as a team, are about halfway to the goal line ... But we do what we can and hope for the best.

Today, I am still very sore from my working out two days ago ... more sore than even yesterday so I am only doing light exercise today ... I walked for 45 minutes so far today, in 3 spurts. and the only other activity i will do is complete the squats I need to do today. They may be 'modified', but I did get 1 set of 15 done this morning while breakfast was cooking.

Go Team 9 GO ... Go ... Go!
  • issy62087
    issy62087 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As I sat on the couch resisting exercise I realized you don't have to go hard every day, at least put in a little effort just to get your blood pumping. Just do something....anything. Lay on the floor and do side leg lifts while you watch TV, do a few calf raises while you do the dishes or stand at the copy machine. Park at the back of the parking lot and walk a little further. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Every little bit counts.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @issy62087 .. you are so correct, every little bit counts for fitness. Now, for the Amazing Race, however, don't forget to include those minutes into your minutes of exercise for the day.

Something that I do every day, before I even get out of bed is really a form of exercise also ... the kind that gets the kinks out and loosens the muscles. I don't count this into my minutes, but know that I wouldn't be able to hardly lift a leg if I didn't do them ... and it doesn't take long .... ISOMETRICS throughouth the body ...

.... simply start at one end of your body and forcefully with concentration tighten and hold every section of your body that you can isolate and hold for a few counts, then release and relaxe. This is something I learned in Yoga classes back in the 1960's and still do to this day. Some parts of my body I need to do several times ... like my hands and feet. For those two parts, I also flex them as far as I can in both directions, crunched up and splayed out.
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    sukkara wrote: »
    Hmmm... how can I know which food is Greek and which is not? Or is mediterranean enough:P
    I too thought the mama mia dance is done once only.

Couldn't answer you on your status page cause it's private ... so I'll answer you on here ...

When the Golden Ticket for this week was written up, there was a short list of Greek foods listed, and a few people, myself included, asked about specific other foods and if you had to have a different Greek food each day, or would the same one repeated count. ... Well, you can repeat the same Greek Food every day and still get the daily point for it. You had needed to eat a Greek food for 5 days to get the 10 points, 2 points per day.

Here is the list of Greek Food that was mentioned in the threads ...
    Spit Roasted lamb with Tzatziki and garnishes such as tomato, onion
    Pita Bread
    Meat pie using lamb, goat, pork mince (or a combination of) with rice, tomato sauce wrapped in a pastry kneaded with white wine
    Feta Cheese
    Olives
    Grapes
    Grape Leaves
    Spinach
    Greek Yogurt

quoted from the questions I found about it ...
    "Regarding Roadblock #2, is it 5 different Greek foods on 5 different days or can some of the foods be repeated? … Answer … It does not have to be different foods. IF it is Greek oriented, it counts."

So ... if you want to branch out, there are some really wonderful Greek recipes you can find online. I've made a couple of those dishes this past week and they were so yum!

I want to make
    Spanakopita (spinach and feta cheese pie, kind of like a quich but uses phyllo pastry)
    Greek Moussaka (a casserole using eggplant)
    Avgolemeno Soup (Greek Lemon Chicken Rice Soup)

These 3 will definitely find they way into my meals when we aren't focusing on not eating white food.

Nikion 91, thanks for the detailed post :*
    Sorry for not replying earlier, but had an extremely busy couple of days. Couldn't check the forums out.
    I guess my profile was private from before I had joined this challenge. Will re-check it.
    You can post on someone's status page?! I'm really new to the social part of MFP :o
    I guess I 'd forgotten some of the rules on the greek food challenge. So thanks for the reminder! I think it was stuff like.. grapes and spinach.. which I didn't know could be considered greek food. The Spanakopita is really tasty, the soup is new to me (but sounds tasty too!).
    I grew up eating moussakka with a tomato sauce/marinade, no bechamel. I think that is the turkish and egyptian way. For a healthier version, I've been making it with grilled eggplants instead of fried. Maybe you could try it this way, it will be within the requirements of the nutritional challenge, no white foods in it :)

Off to the airport in an hour or so, will be away for 3 days, but wanted to reply before I left. Did the mama mia dance (several times) while packing :p
    Have a big workout planned tonight. So I'm logging the estimated minutes earlier just in case I couldn't log in later.

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent and excuse all the mistakes :p
    Keep up the great work everyone!
    Ciao
  • jenniferstavich
    jenniferstavich Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @issy62087 amen sista! I did awesome this week but saw little movement on the scale. I managed to do sugar only one day (after drinking of course) it kept me up all night. I'm excited about the abs challenge as that is something I really want to work on. Go team 9! One week down.
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I was out of town and wasn't able to post/log as much as I could. But I put all of my stuff in the spreadsheet now. Not sure what the scale will say on Tuesday, I fell of the wagon diet-wise Friday-Sunday :s

New week starts tomorrow! I can't wait for the new challenges!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I hope everyone was able to log into the spreadsheet and update their exercise minutes and roadblocks completed. It would be a shame if all your efforts could not be counted because they were not reported.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sorry I left posting my numbers to Sunday without knowing I was going to be sick. I sent them to @Nikion901 this morning.

I was trying to remember the chick flick movie that was made in Ireland. I think the man dies and his wife goes to Ireland. I just rememberthe bar scene. Or maybeI am confused??

Well I have both ground beef and cabbage in the fridge. Maybe this will be the motivation I need to finally try the cabbage leaves stuffedwith beef?

I hope everyone hasa great week.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Sorry I left posting my numbers to Sunday without knowing I was going to be sick. I sent them to @Nikion901 this morning.

I was trying to remember the chick flick movie that was made in Ireland. I think the man dies and his wife goes to Ireland. I just rememberthe bar scene. Or maybeI am confused??

Well I have both ground beef and cabbage in the fridge. Maybe this will be the motivation I need to finally try the cabbage leaves stuffedwith beef?

I hope everyone hasa great week.

I put your exercise numbers into the spreadsheet just now ... don't know if it was too late or not. I didn't have anything about the accountability challenge so left that blank.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @memere101 and all 'Dream Achievers" Team 9 members ...
    I hope you don't mind, however I added our team data for Week 2 ... below the lines for Week 1 of the Amazing Race ... I had a little time extra time and wanted to start the spreadsheet logging so I went ahead and created it to be similar to what I've seen on there for other teams.

There were a few members who did not log their activity and I don't know if they have decided to stop being a part of the Amazing Race challenge or not, I dd include them in the username list, but dropped them below the names of people who reported during week 1.

@memere101 ..can you tell us what our personal goal in minutes is for this week, our group has 2883 minutes to accomplish as a group ... I wasn't a part of the past challenges and don't know what to target for myself.
  • vazquezmom7
    Options
    Where do we log in the extra points for Roadblock and Eating Challenges?
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Where do we log in the extra points for Roadblock and Eating Challenges?

I think the instructions in this weeks Golden Ticket said something about keeping track yourself ... however, the spreadsheet does have a column for them ... last week, when I recorded on the spreadsheet I simply put in the days of the week on which I did them ... like, day 1,2,4,5,6 ... style and whoever calculated the points for it didn't seem to have a problem assigning a point value in their place.

I'm all for keeping it simple so I don't like posting on individual threads for it ... with so many people in this race that stuff just gets lost in the pages!

Maybe some of the other players or the leader can give other/better advice.
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I am back from my week of travels. Thanks to everyone who helped log all my weigh ins and workout minutes on the spread sheet.
  • memere101
    memere101 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 Thank you so much for getting that done on the spread sheet. I think we have so many different challenges it's a little hard to keep up with it all. :smile:

I have messaged the inactive team members to see what their intentions are but haven't heard back yet.

For this week we should all aim for about 195 minutes of exercise total for the week....39 minutes 5 days a week.
    Looks like the roadblocks are watching and trying the 7 videos she has posted and eating one Irish inspired meal this week. The extra challenges are eat all 5 colors (fruits/veggies) at some point this week and log all your meals on MFP this week.

I worked up a buddy list for us. I have always enjoyed having a buddy during a challenge I hope you all do also. And as always feel free to private message me anytime you have questions or need a little encouragement.

dyae8j04r6cu.jpeg

Hope everyone's week is going well so far. Now let's work hard and achieve our dreams :kissing_heart:
  • issy62087
    issy62087 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sorry I wasn't very good at logging everything the last part of the week. Work has been insane with our annual gala on Sunday! (I felt great in my little black dress). I don't have a computer at home either and still can't access the spreadsheet on my phone. The ab challenge looks hard, but I'm going for it.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    memere101 wrote: »
    @Nikion901 Thank you so much for getting that done on the spread sheet. I think we have so many different challenges it's a little hard to keep up with it all. :smile:

No problem! I am a bit of a spreadsheet lover having done many of them during my various careers. I use them in my personal life all the time also!

• vazquezmom7
    Options
    I was wondering about the buddy system. I will send @lindsmiled a message once I find her.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I've heard that it's hard for some folks to navigate the spreadsheet to get to our team 9 page ... thought this might help
    mwb3xwpjrgbp.jpg
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi, back from my trip.
    Missed the first 2 days of this week's challenges, it's a good thing that these challenges are 5 days. I've got the rest of the week.
    Haven't weighed in yet..I hope I haven't gained (much).