Losing Weight too Quickly?

Options
JessiokaFroka
JessiokaFroka Posts: 149 Member
Hi guys,

I am on Day 19 of eating LCHF for the first time in my life. To give you some stats, I am 28 years old, 5' 8", and my starting weight was 312 lbs. I have now lost 19 pounds as of yesterday.

While I am thrilled with the results, I am also slightly alarmed/wary that the weight is falling off so quickly. I feel great, no sickness/keto flu/nausea, AND I don't have headaches anymore (they were a regular part of my life for years) so... is this normal? I don't normally track my food, but the days that I do my fat intake is between 70%-80% and my net carbs are between 20-30 per day. I eat only when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm full.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Text book results. The large weight drop at first is mainly water weight which is ok. Your losses will level out as your body balances itself out. At the beginning of LC I had a larger weekly average but it has now settled to 1kg or 2.5lb a week after 9 months. some would say that's still too much and half of that is safe. Safe for what? My annual blood tests are the most improved results my DR has ever seen. Isn't that more safe?

Just listen to your body, keep your macros as is you are on the mark. Well done!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That's totally normal and safe especially if you have more weight to lose. The first 10-15 lbs can be water. Just keep doing what you're doing. :-)
  • JessiokaFroka
    Options
    Thank you so much! Glad to hear it; I feel much better now :smiley:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    That's very normal and it levels out over time.

One thing to keep an eye on that you may be not focusing on is sodium intake. You've likely lost a ton of sodium with that weight. If you aren't currently doing so I recommend increasing your intake to at least 3000-5000 mg a day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I posted the same thing about a month after starting too. I got the same advice: it's normal. They told me to enjoy it while it lasted because it will slow down eventually. I did and it did. ;)

Congrats on your success so far!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10343997/losing-weight-too-quickly#latest

This was another recent post with the same question.
    This low carber is close to goal and I am warning her to not get discouraged when the rate of loss significantly slows down or even appears to stop. It happens to all of us. Lots of people start to doubt themselves and start thinking they are doing something wrong. If you just keep doing what you're doing now, there is no reason to worry when the "stall" happens. There won't be a real stall. It's just part of the normal process. Sometimes it just slows down even though you're doing everything right. Lots of people start to question if low carb is the way to go, for some reason, they forget that low carb is what got them so far so fast in the first place. I just wanted to put this out there so you aren't discouraged when things slow down.
    You're having a fantastic start!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i don't have any answers (i'm new, too) but wanted to say CONGRATS! keep up the good (HARD!) work! :)
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost 50 lbs in about 3 months and then slowed dramatically (though he left low carb at 3.5 months as he found it difficult with the p90x3 program he started). He went to his dr after losing 20 lbs the first 2-3 weeks and did get his Drs blessing.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.
    I lost about 8 lbs in the first two weeks which was a lot for me, but I started keto when I was only about 20 lbs from goal. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Don't get discouraged when it levels off after a while. Glad you're feeling great!
  • NoMoExcusez84
    NoMoExcusez84 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. Day 10 and 10lbs gone. I'm so excited and happy with these results, and I'm LOVING low carb! I keep my carbs at 20 grams per day, calories anywhere from 1700-2200. I say enjoy it while it lasts, because it won't last forever.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I'd say the quick loss in the beginning was exactly what I needed. It kept me going mentally, being able to see success so quickly and feel good while doing it. I've tried other methods and it was so tedious and slow it really sucked and I was starving the whole time.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'd say the quick loss in the beginning was exactly what I needed. It kept me going mentally, being able to see success so quickly and feel good while doing it. I've tried other methods and it was so tedious and slow it really sucked and I was starving the whole time.

So true for me too! the quick loss gave me good motivation to keep going while I adjusted to eating fewer carbs.

• JessiokaFroka
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help everyone! This is so encouraging to hear. I will definitely remember this when the weight loss slows and/or stalls.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I lostabout 18 pounds in the first month, and since then, no loss. I fluctuate a lot from 260 to 265. A solid month with no additional loss. But I have had other good things happen.... smaller waist, started to exercise, and I can now sit in a booth at most restaurants.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I was a slow loser but I try to average 2500 calories daily. The faster the loss rate the greater the lean mass loss so when you get down to around 250 you might consider practicing maintaining 250 for 90 days.

As one who for 40 year way into yo yo dieting with 100%+ regains each time is the reason I have stopped dieting forever and just eat for better total health so I never regain weight again.

Keep up the great job. Measure inches and monitor your blood work ever 6 to 12 months. Best of success.
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Glad someone else asked this question, I was wondering the same after losing 27lb in 6 weeks with no exercise. (5ft 11, starting weight of 245lb).

Also worried my calories were set too low, at 1290, but I am not eating all of those most days (pretty close though), and do not feel hungry at all, so am loathe to up the intake, especially when I am loosing so well, and my High BP seems to be slowly coming down (which is the second reason I started this way of eating).

I am aware this rate of loss will slow down, so am just riding it out while it lasts, and will then re assess.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 130 lbs of fat. Sometimes it was a double digit month and then others were
    Half that

I used to check my blood glucose weekly and pulse/bp daily. It all continually got better month over month.

I kept 1400-1700 calories of 80 or less carbs and some days felt hungry. In my case the occasional dragging butt feeling was much less dangerous to my health than weighing nearly double what I should

Now it is down to 10 pounds to just polish things off. Steady course of good healthy eating and reasonable fun exercise

Stick with it and the magic will just happen, as long as you don't quit.

It seems like this diet and fitness journey was like riding bus. It was bor I got and not much fun, but sticking with it, I got there. Now it is much more fun and the ride was worth it!