Paleo macros?

Options
Hi trying out paleo, what should I set my macros on MFP to ?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It really depends. Many people don't even worry about macros as long as they're eating whole natural foods, with a focus on quality proteins and fats.

Some people have a moderate view towards carbs and include a fair amount of them. Others are low carb and eat very few carbs. When it comes to carbs, you should be avoiding processed and refined sources of them.

When I originally started paleo/primal, I was aiming for under 100 grams of carbs and the rest a good mix of protein and fat. I've since strayed into much more restrictive territory with carbs, but that is just me.

What are you currently eating? What is a basic "paleo" day in your life? How is it making you feel? These sorts of answers will really help people out. Once you have a baseline, we can start to adjust and make suggestions.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I am still learning about paleo and what it is so I havent fully started it yet.

Ive been gluten free / processed foods free for several years. Recently I tried a vegan diet that focuses on veggies, beans, and some grains and came to the conclusion that there is no way a person can feel their best on this diet. I have low blood sugar issues and realized I dont feel my best unless I've had adaquate protein in a meal. Also while trying vegan I noticed beans and grains make me feel crappy in many ways. However I loved the idea of eating a lot of veggies so my next step would be to try paleo.

For now I've cut out grains and beans. Just wanted to get an idea of what others use as their macros. I dont want to be extremely restrictive with carbs.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Mine are set to 50% Fat, 30% Protein and 20% Carbs - but I don't really worry about it much. I just occasionally check to make sure I'm in the ballpark. If you are eating lots of plants and animals, easy on the roots and fruits, and no sugar unless there is a plant wrapped around it, you'll be somewhere in that neighborhood.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic, morbidly obese, or some other such illness, I would recommend you just switch to eating whole, unprocessed Paleo foods without worrying about macros with the caveat that you are eating lots of healthy fatty animal foods (ie grass fed or wild) and limiting the sugars, starches and nuts.

I fall into the very sick category so my happy place is no carbs (aka no plants), moderate protein, and high fat but I still don't need to focus on the macros. I know exactly what foods to eat to be my healthiest. Unfortunately that's not always what I choose to do.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Paleo/Primal to battle some hormonal disorders, right now I have them set to 40% fat, 35% protein, 25% carb and so far it's working OK :) I am getting used to the lower carbs now though and playing with the idea of 75g or less and working my way down from there to see if it helps! I feel so amazing though and LOVE this lifestyle!
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.
    @breeanreyes how many calories are you eating in total with and without exercising?
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Somewhere around 60:20:20
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    Which one is protein/carbs ?
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'm thinking it's 60 fat/20 protein/20 carbs
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining roughly 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carbs for a while, and feel pretty good. From a caloric perspective, that's roughly 100 grams of each macro per day, so you'd have to look at your specific needs (ie, are you muscle building, do you do lots of cardio, etc) and adjust from their.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    While losing weight mine were at 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 (Fat/Protein/Carbs)
    At maintenance I have them set at 40/30/30
    I use that as a general guideline. I generally just check to see how I did at the end of the day.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 50/30/20 but I might try 50/25/25 for a while. I think that's more how I've been eating anyway...