Trying something new this week

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
And it's.....relaxing!!! It's a new concept for myself, but I'm stressing way too much about every little thing...I know how to eat LCHF. I know when I'm full, when I'm hungry....I excercise...I drink tons of water...I'm going to try not tracking (this week) and see if that helps me not obsess so much!

Replies

• dietbepsi
    Options
    Orrrrrrrrrr....I might try TRACKING..... Increasing my carbs to 50, and cutting out all artificial sweeteners. I have one Splenda a day, and I'm wondering if that might inhibit my results. Because I'm working on three months here with (for me) painfully sloooooooow progress.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Good idea to experiment. Best to vary one thing at a time. Try no artificial sweeteners for a week. Maybe 50g carbs the next week?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @dietbepsi I think you are doing great. Tracking at first is educational for sure.

I track with my breath analyzer and bathroom scales daily and both are digital so that is easy. I record the bathroom scales numbers on the back of junk mail but I am an old pencil and paper guy. :)
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Good idea to experiment. Best to vary one thing at a time. Try no artificial sweeteners for a week. Maybe 50g carbs the next week?

Good point
  • dietbepsi
    edited March 2016
    Options
    That makes me think. Does anyone have a suggestion for something to sweeten my coffee a little bit that isn't "artificial?" That's the only thing I need something sweet in. I just can't do it without it, well I mean I could, but it's something I really look forward to is my morning cup of coffee and I really don't like it without a touch of sweetness......I'm wondering about stevia possibly..
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The two main premises of low-carb are to lower insulin levels and reduce hunger and cravings.

Sweeteners, whether natural or artificial, can work against those premises. Yeah, some of the artificial sweeteners will even cause an insulin squirt. Just the anticipation of sweetness can cause it.

I think stevia is the lesser of the evils, but still best to avoid them all if you can.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    That makes me think. Does anyone have a suggestion for something to sweeten my coffee a little bit that isn't "artificial?" That's the only thing I need something sweet in. I just can't do it without it, well I mean I could, but it's something I really look forward to is my morning cup of coffee and I really don't like it without a touch of sweetness.

The problem with artificial sweeteners isn't so much the fact they're artificial as that they are sweet. They can still trigger a bit of insulin even though they're not supposed too, so anything sweet could do that.
    I also gave up sweetener not too long ago. I was exactly the same way about my coffee I tried for months and months to cut back and back and back til I didn't need it, but I just couldn't stop using it. I finally got kinda ticked off at myself for being such a wimp about it and just went cold turkey. I didn't love my coffee that week but within a few days it was tasting better. But I still wasn't happy. Then I decided to try other coffees and realized that I needed so much sweetener because my coffee just didn't taste good.
    I liked one I tried from Starbucks. I had them freshly grind it for me. But since then I found a local roaster and what a difference better coffee makes. Though, I did like the Starbucks well enough too.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post about coffee and sweeteners. I tried sugar free syrup and it wasn't for me. Now I drink it with heavy cream only. I find that I don't crave my morning joe like I did when I drank it sweet. Try it! But I agree with wabmaster...only change one thing at a time.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and just drink mine with just heavy whipping cream. I had an ice coffee this weekend and I could have done without the sugar free syrup and possibly even the splenda. I think I may try that this afternoon!
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Then I decided to try other coffees and realized that I needed so much sweetener because my coffee just didn't taste good.

You get used to coffee without sweeteners after a few days. But it does make a difference the type of coffee. If it is bad coffee it just tastes bad and there is very little you can do to disguise it. So far the ones that I like are Starbucks, McDonald's, and the Kirkland brand from Costco.
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    I only use half a packet of Splenda and it doesn't cause any cravings at all. I suppose I could do without it, I mean I can do anything, I just have to want to I guess. I could try it I suppose :)