Whey protein powder - opinions please

Options
MilllieMoo
MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
I know it's important to get enough protein.
I know it's not ideal to have protein powder as a meal replacement, rather than supplement (or at least I think that's right).
But, like many of us, I struggle to eat three meals a day, I'm just not hungry (the me of six months ago would fall over if she heard me say that!)

So, can I sometimes just have a whey protein drink when I can't face eating but what the protein?

Most of my carbs come from veggies, so I'd make sure I had a good nutrient-rich supper if I did that.

But I'm wary of falling into bad habits, would that be one? I used to just skip breakfast, until I learned that my protein is best taken at three 'mealtimes", and I've also just increased my protein, for two or three weeks to see how it suits me.

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I used protein powder on the beginning a lot. I still use it occasionally now. I found I like isopure 0 carb cookies and cream the most.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A second vote for Isopure. I used to do the unflavored and added a few blueberries or strawberries in the blender for a bit of taste.
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/nature-best-isopure-isopure-zero-carb-unflavored-3-lb-powder/np-1184#.Vub92GdRGjs. One note, depending on the brand you decide to get, watch out for the sugar in some of the protein powders, some are loaded and you'll end up feeling hungry. You should have a good blender, stirring it in water doesn't cut it.

I used it as a meal replacement because I keep an eye on my total calories for the day. After two months with the protein powder experiment, I concluded the taste was meh and I felt gassy and bloated more than I liked. I also prefer to eat my calories than drink them. I did make protein powder waffles w. almond flour and egg that weren't bad. LOL. I still lost weight doing the powder. I switched to eggs, avocado, steaks, hamburg, ground beef, bacon or just coffee or tea with heavy cream. Saving my big protein meals for lunch and dinner. I found I was getting adequate protein without the powder, just eating the meats and eggs. For me, it's all about experimentation, seeing what works for you and your lifestyle and what doesn't. It's also interesting to change things up a bit. For me, It usually takes 4-6 weeks to see what impact the change is having. Have fun and good luck.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i dont see anything wrong with it.
    if you arent hungry, dont eat
    :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've used protein powder - at one time it was a lot and I still occasionally do. As for blending, I use a GNC blender bottle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder every single day. Either in a smoothie or I make a choc/protein pudding.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I drink it in a green smoothie with every meal. :)
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make mug bread out of biochem whey protein in natural flavor. It has less than one carb. I use it to make sandwiches so that I only have to eat one meal a day and still hit my protein goals. It is not delicious, but it is tasty enough to satiate my carb cravings.
  • MilllieMoo
    Options
    I just whisk it in a glass with water and drink it in one golf, can't bear the taste (I don't drink milk). I've started adding a drop of coffee essence which makes it a bit less rank.
    I'm relieved that it seems OK to swap a meal for it. Eating enough protein is the hardest element for me,. What isn't cream packed with protein??)!!!
  • MilllieMoo
    Options
    Golf? Gulp!
    Blooming autocorrect!