Cardio machine - how best to increase time/strength

Options
gmoo150
gmoo150 Posts: 31 Member
Thought I was in pretty good shape, walking and strength training with no problem, but got a toy called a ZeroRunner (probably related most closely to an elliptical) and, well, embarrassed to say that just three minutes on that thing turned my legs wobbly! Used it about five or six times yesterday, sometimes for only a couple of minutes, without any ill effects -- not sore or anything. And want to do it every day, especially since it acts as a foot pod with my tracker and it's a good way to add to my step goal -- plus, it's the most fun ever!

But my question is, will it be effective to build up stamina to continue using it a few times each day, each time as long as I can manage? Or would it be better to just do it every other day?

Thanks

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,158 Member
    Options
    http://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/zero-runner/zr7/

I used to have an Octane elliptical so I know their products are top-notch. My ex "won" it in the divorce and I haven't replaced it. I haven't seen the ZeroRunner before. It looks interesting and the idea of running without pounding is certainly attractive.

Since I haven't used it, my best guess would be to slowly build up your sessions, keeping track of your results as you go using the app. As long as it's fun, it's going to be easy to keep building up. Once you reach a level where it's not kicking your *kitten* each time, you can start pushing the pace for intensity.

Have fun and please report back your experiences.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Lol, first time I got on an elliptical, I lasted 2 minutes and got off and pretended I had to go to the bathroom. I conquered it by just doing a little more each day. Since I wasn't at home I couldn't do it more than once a day. I would also suggest going backwards, (if it does that) almost as much as going forward. My collegiate soccer player daughters taught me this. It strengthens muscles on front and back of legs (and firms the butt) and helps prevent shin splints. Good luck!
  • gmoo150
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you both for your comments.

Marekdds, I did laugh about pretending to need to go to the bathroom -- that sounds exactly like something I'd do! And thanks so much for the suggestions!

UncleMac, I am so impressed with the quality, and it's the only fun cardio thing I've ever used! I'll take your advice about tracking results -- I actually made it 10 minutes yesterday, though it wasn't pretty, and there was very little "running" involved! But mostly it's a minute or two at a time -- seems silly to track but it will be fun to see improvement. The lifesaver is, of course, that it's so easy to vary pace, and your suggestion to go for time first, then intensity is incredibly helpful. I usually get discouraged with anything new 'cause of the "all or nothing" mentality, but I'm trying to do better, so I particularly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks again!! Have a great week all...

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. My sister got a Bowflex Max Trainer which is an elliptical/something else sort of thingy. One program I can do a whopping 7 minutes. On the actual Interval training part, which is the best program to do apparently, 3 minutes and I was sure a trip to yhe ER was necessary. Jeez alou. These things look so easy on tv! A little bit at a time. It is humbling. You think you're in decent shape and these things tell you what's what.
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Nikkib - Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I've seen the commercials for the Bowflex -- it looks incredibly intense!!

It is so very nice to have something at home for cardio. Happy (well, "happy" may be a bit strong) to go to the gym three times a week to sling a few weights around but a real treat not to have to go any more often.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The best thing is not to go full speed ahead all the time, the magic happens when you do Intervals.

You warm up, you do a certain amount of work at a slower speed, then you speed up for a certain amount of time. And you repeat that, adding the cool down at the end.

• Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I googled the zero runner and all the images I found show that during a stride, the bottom of the foot faces directly behind you. I use an elliptical, but I don't think it compares well to the zero runner. The zero runner is much harder. I also use an AMT (precursor), and it is a better comparison, but again, the running motion of your machine is much more challenging. I really think it is a hard machine and not comparable to any of the cardio machines at my gym. I would say get on it at least 3 times a week and kick butt. If you use it consistently, you willl notice improvement in a short time.
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Sorry to be so long getting back to say "thanks" --

McMack- thanks for taking the time to Google the ZR - that was so thoughtful! And consistency will be the key -- thanks for reminding me!! It's great that there's no motor and you control the stride length, so you can basically do anything your legs would do from hop to walk to run flat-out! I'm kind of at the hopping/walking/slow jog stage -- but it is super fun and something I'll likely stay with.

MostlyWater -- great advice about the intervals, and as soon as I can muster up the strength to stay on the thing long enough to do a warmup AND something else (and I'm laughing at myself right now!!), then I'll do them, for sure.

Appreciate everyone's input so much -- I don't have a lot to contribute to the forum but it's such fun to read what you all are up to every day, and to know you're out there, a great brain trust, if there's a question!!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Nice new "toy" @gmoo150! I had to look it up online to see what you were playing with. When I first tried the AMT (Mccmack and marekdds) I could only GO backwards! And only about 2-3 mins. You will figure it out and be able to get those intervals back. Have fun!
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. I found the info on an AMT -- that looks awesome!

It's so helpful to know that I'm not the only one who had to start small. I've come to serious exercise so late in life that sometimes I wonder if I'm not kidding myself, but something has finally clicked in my brain and "working out" is finally kind of fun. So it's especially helpful to hear "baby steps" are okay!!

Thank you again!
  • chamblisk
    Options
    @gmoo150 Like many of us (ladies especially), I'm sure you spent your younger years taking care of others. It is about time we got selfish and took care of ourselves. I am in awe of the accomplishments us older folks have made! My own journey this year has been nothing short of miraculous! Baby steps are the way to go....especially if you are starting back to fitness from a long-term focus on others. Just finding something you enjoy and can convince yourself is fun, can soon become central to your daily, healthier, lifestyle. There is no expiration date for finishing this life so enjoy the process of getting your best years now and in the future.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It looks like a really interesting machine. In action, it seems that the type of motion is highly variable based on user input, but I would think at differing speeds the motion would become your natural motion over time.

I didn't find any specifics on what metrics it displays for time, distance, calorie estimations, etc. But whatever information it gives you, my advice is to record that information with every workout. Then over time you can compare time, distance, and other metrics to watch your performance grow.

We have an older model elliptical at home, and I train on it a lot as a time saver and during the winter and foul weather. We got it when my wife wanted it, but I never used it much. Now I use it as a method to cross train and love it. One of the things I really enjoy is that I can control the climate, turn a fan on, remove all traffic, etc... essentially remove all the variables that might impact my pace on a run or bike ride.

Even though I had been biking for over a year (1000+ miles) before I got back on the elliptical, it has helped greatly in improving my cardio base. Those improvements do translate to the bike when I get on it, and though I rarely run they translate there as well.

Regardless of your starting point, recording the info and finding new bests is very motivating. If you have the right data it makes things even easier. I mix up my workouts between lower and higher intensities, various times, etc and try to keep it fun. I don't follow any super structured program other than to try to train and enjoy myself, finding and testing improvements when I can.

I can honestly say that for years I hated most cardio, possibly a by product of being forced to do it when I was in the military. But our elliptical that we had for years before I used it with any serious intentions... it changed the game for me. The data and lack of distractions make it easier to test myself and find new limits. Being able to see and control my pace, and having that data in my face, are huge motivations for me.

But be warned. Before you know it, you will be finding that when you think you've hit a wall, you can work through it. And as you improve you find yourself looking for a new challenge. Like doing the research, crunching the numbers, and doing a Tabata protocol HIIT session on your machine. Been there, done that. You might find something like VO2 or VO2max is now a term, along with lactate threshold or FTP, that you have to consider as relevant to your training. Or find that changing your diet macros, times you eat, or workout fueling are becoming more important, because they are.

They say it's the things you do when nobody is watching that defines who you really are. As much as I used to despise most machines for exercise, I've found it to be true. I still haven't beat my elliptical, and it can still challenge me on so many levels. But after a couple years of getting back into better shape, I have found that I can exceed the readout ability on the power output for brief periods.

The only "warning" I would give regarding machines is that as much as they try, they still aren't the same as the exercises they intend to simulate. The first time I got out and actually jogged in many years (20+) I rediscovered some muscles that the machine didn't find. But the machines might find and define muscles you don't use walking, skiing, running, or whatever else that machine can simulate. And the cardio gains can give you one less thing to be concerned with.
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Robert - thank you for your great post, and for the encouragement! You sound like me -- love the data -- and I'm definitely keeping track of time, effort, etc. I'm making some progress and it's still the most fun ever! I've moved recently and am not confident walking outside alone -- wish I were braver, as there are so many lovely parks nearby with trails that I'd love to walk/hike, but for now this machine is like it was made for me!

I really admire your progress and all your hard work -- and, again, I so much appreciate your comments!!
  • chamblisk
    Options
    So glad you are enjoying your new equipment. That is half the battle when it comes to "exercising". Quick thought on your walking outside; have you ever thought of volunteering at your local ASPCA or Humane Society. They always need walkers to take the dogs out and socialize. You may be able to explore the local parks with a canine buddy and a few other friends from the shelter. Then the new area wouldn't feel quite so overwhelming. Hope you are settling in. Keep up the good work here!
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Great suggestion -- thanks! Volunteering is always good, and if there's walking involved, well, that's definitely a "win-win."
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There might be a walking group. Look on meetup.com
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone mentioned sprints. Adding sprints will definitely make you faster. A common approach for any endurance sport is to have sprint days, where you work out for a shorter time, but do exclusively interval training. It's hard, but it works.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh - I thought everyone knew that intervals means sprints.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    +1 for the intervals and sprints. Though I haven't done it in a real structured form, I'm sure that both have helped on my elliptical workouts. I mix up steady state, some interval days at varied output, and now and then a true Tabata or something that really gets the heart working quickly.

Mixing it up also removes the boredom that doing the same thing over and over can induce. Some days I really have no plan at all until I get on the machine, and even then sometimes I find something different to add or change up.

I do simulated bricks at times. Ramp and resistance up real high, then flatten the ramp and remove resistance quickly. The transition is so strange, but interesting!
  • gmoo150
    Options
    Great suggestions all -- thank you so much! I found an app called "Rock My Run," which lets me sort of zone out and makes the time go faster. I am gradually increasing time, and when I get a little more proficient, will definitely add in intervals. It's still the only fun cardio I've ever done, though, so that's a good sign that I'll stick with it!

Thank you all again!!