Weekly Post - March 14th to 20th

Options
snaps27
snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
So excited to see so many newbies! WELCOME :)

Last week was a great low week until Sunday...

WARNING
- Beware of POPPYCOCK!!! This sweet popcorn is dangerous!

Had two small bowls...over 1500 calories! :s ! Shock/Horror!

Fasting today and had a 45min walk in the cold this morning to buy bread! I will work it out of my system. Gearing up for great week!

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That was the body sabotaging you. Beware! But you'll get back. When I lose a bit, my body goes into rebellion mode....crave crave crave...

Had an okay week last week food and fast wise. However tthe weekend rolled in...dinner at a friend's on Friday, seminar and two meals out on Saturday and and date with a new guy yesterday that turned into dinner. Pizza twice in 3 days and nd I'm up 1.5kg...lots of water. Cooking for yesterday's date tonight but until then I'm treating today as a fast day. Will do a proper one tomorrow.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hello all! So glad to find this group. My first day doing the 5:2. So far so good and So EXCITED!!

A little background: I've been modified paleo almost 4 yrs. I began doing keto, I think around September 2015 or maybe a little earlier than that.

I usually have a bpc (w lots of oil, dairy, etc) with 1-2 eggs with 1-2 bacon on days I workout. I didn't workout today, so my body wouldn't want the additional food as I think it's trained to eat now on those days. Monday's are super busy at my gym and I hate the crowd. I also noticed my mouth watered all the way on my hr & 15min commute just from smelling my coffee. I don't usually like or drink black coffee, so I know my body has been trained to want food with coffee too. Smh

I only drank water until I got to my office. Then began the coffee. Now I'm going to have my first meal of the day.

-1 can tuna with 15g coconut oil and Himalayan pink salt & black pepper to taste
    -45g organic baby spinach with 7.5ml mct oil with Himalayan pink salt & black pepper to taste

So far so good...Hopefully, I don't eat my kids before going to bed tonight. :) LOL
  • GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken
    Options
    Good luck to us both, megemrj, on our first 5:2 days. So far I've had a cup of coffee with a little milk (about 40 cals total) and 5 cups of water. Hoping to put off any eating until dinner tonight, keeping to 500 cals or less. Lots more water too. Then nothing more until breakfast tomorrow. The afternoon will ever hardest for me. Here's to willpower and determination!
  • megemrj
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken You are doing great. I was satisfied with my lunch, but feeling a little hungry. All in all, I am doing ok. Better than I thought. Think the kids are safe until dinner. ;) Told my husband if I'm asleep when he gets in, he better not wake me! Afraid the munchies might attack.

Options
    Stay strong!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newcomers! I am fasting today and I am hungry-ish too. And that's okay. It took practicing this lifestyle for me to realize that it is totally okay to be hungry for a while. Dinner will taste terrific and tomorrow will be here soon! But yes, the other folks in the household might want to be nice to me because I can scale up to crabby quicker than usual on fast days if I'm not careful . . .;)
  • megemrj
    Options
    @GraetLifeIfYouDontWeaken: hang in there, the afternoon is almost over! I'm rooting for you. :smiley:

@sanjoparolas: Thank you for the encouraging words. I know I really feel better about it hearing about your experience. Makes the light at the end of the tunnel more moon shape than microscopic. Lol. it's really been OK. No fainting or lightheadedness so far.

Must admit I'm a little worried about my workout in the morning. Anyone have suggestions on workouts after fds? Eating before or after, lifting heavy, or light cardio? Little apprehensive...

• lloki1
    lloki1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a newbie... just have been reading about the 5:2 and will begin my first FD tomorrow. I actually think this will be a good fit for me. I have done longer fasts, but they never seem to help correct my habits. I think this method will dovetail nicely in my life.
  • snaps27
    Options
    Yesterdays fast was a success. Even budgeted for two cookies but then my little boy got sick so I didn't feel like eating anything else and I got some extra exercise scrubbing the floor :o
  • luciewhitefield25
    luciewhitefield25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I completed my first fast day yesterday and it was much easier than expected! I think the key for me is planning! Weird thing is I am not even hungry this morning.. I normally do 16:8 anyway as I am not a breakfast eater but I didn't think I would still do it whilst doing 5:2, so hopefully by mixing these two together I will deffo get the results I want!

I am not even dreading my next fast day!

Does everyone still count calories on non fasting days?

Well done everyone!!!
  • snaps27
    Options
    I have to be a very strict calorie counter on non-fast days...like today. I feel so hungry today, worse than yesterday. It's lunch time and I managed to grab half an apple and made a tea to stop myself diving into the poppycock again :# Eating my breakfast in the morning just wakes up my belly and it thinks it has to keep eating. Holding it together...
  • snaps27
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ohhh the power of tea. I feel so much better!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    Must admit I'm a little worried about my workout in the morning. Anyone have suggestions on workouts after fds? Eating before or after, lifting heavy, or light cardio? Little apprehensive...

Meg, I usually consume a sports gel (my fav is GU caramel with a little caffeine) before strenuous exercise. I do this on FD (like today), but also on nonFD in the morning when I don't want to eat. I think it's a bargain at 100 cals and it keeps my energy high to finish my w/o. Amazon sells them cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.
  • megemrj
    Options
    @flossyruby1 Thank you for the info! I will check into that. I did follow my normal routine with treadmill, arm day for lifting, and rowing machine. I just listened to my body very carefully and did not try to push myself too hard. Just in case. I normally drink a collagen supplement which has protein as a workout recovery.

@luciewhitefield25 Congrats on the successful 1st fd! I had a similar experience and was not hungry this morning either. I was concerned working out sans those CALs but I did fine.

Hubby had my breakfast ready when I got back from the gym! So super excited was jumping in the kitchen...:)
    Options
    Congratulations to all the new 5:2ers like me! My first fast day went very well yesterday. I was a little tempted to carry on with the fast for a second day today since I wasn't very hungry this morning, and liked the tight/empty feeling i felt in my stomach when I woke up. But had a small breakfast anyway at the 39th hour mark -- don't want to go in all extreme when I'm just starting out. It was nice to see the scale telling me I'd dropped 2.5 lbs overnight too. I know that drop was a temporary / one time thing, but still it was a nice encouragement to keep going with this.
  • megemrj
    Options
    @graetlifeifyoudontweaken. Nice drop! I didn't lose overnight but I'm OK with that. Not discouraged at all. Not a surprise either as my body never cooperates like I want it to. Lol. It's temperamental and stubborn just like me!! It will see "resistance is useless"... Eventually! :D
    Options
    Don't give it another thought - you are on your way and will see results soon enough! I only hopped on the scale today out of curiosity. I expect to go up again when I eat my normal TDEE today. I will try to weigh myself only once/week, and not to be discouraged by anything I might see there, so long as I know I'm on the right track with 5:2.
  • boombalatty123
    boombalatty123 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Here's some disappointing news - I saw my doctor on Monday and my cholesterol went UP 50 points. :s I'm hoping it was an aberration, I did have a couple celebratory meals around the time I had the blood drawn, but I've never had cholesterol issues before now, and suddenly my doctor is coming down on me for it. :/

Otherwise, I'm plugging away on the diet. Fasting today and it's going well. Had a tasty salad for lunch with feta and a pickled egg and will be having grilled chicken, asparagus and polenta for dinner (total 507 calories).
  • krubbard
    krubbard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Today is my first fasting day. So far so good. My question - will my body like, explode if I go slightly over 500 calories? And by slightly, I mean approximately 80 calories, not anything crazy like 800. I just want to make sure I do this bad boy right.
    Options
    Krubbard, I'm very very new to this si feel free going ore me, but from what I've read so far, you should be okay so long as you don't stray any farther from the 500 cals today -- no exploding for sure!
    Boombalatty, I hope your cholesterol reading was a fluke. I thought this eating approach would have positive results with things like cholesterol levels -- hopefully someone can weigh in on that. Don't be discouraged!