Question about yogurt

Options
lowcarbluvin
lowcarbluvin Posts: 17 Member
I love yogurt but it seems like they have so many carbs. I did find Okios protein yogurt (black container) that has 9 net carbs but 15 g protein. I love it and I have been eating it every morning with pecans and a little bit of SF strawberry jam for a few mornings now. Does anyone else eat yogurt when following low carb and if so, have you had any issues with it deterring your weight loss?

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat the full fat Fage or the Bulgarian Yoghurt from time to time. I limit it to 1 cup. The more sour the yoghurt (like the bulgarian stuff) the more of the sugat has been eaten up by bacteria. I haven't had any issues.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree -I know how you feel.
    I love unsweetened full fat Greek style natural yoghurt. I could eat it at every meal, but I don't because it has 6.9g carbs per 100g.
    I factor it into my carb count at least once a week.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    So hard to find good full fat low carb yogurt. Even harder to find dairy free coconut yogurt. I just ordered a cheap yogurt maker off amazon. Hoping for good results!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? Kroger has CarbMaster yogurt
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I had issues with yogurt causing cravings, so just be careful. Then again we are all uniquely different :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I had issues with yogurt causing cravings, so just be careful. Then again we are all uniquely different :)

I did find that to be true for me after a while with the carb master yogurt. It started to become a daily habit of eating something sweet after dinner, which is a recipe for disaster for me.
    That's a good warning
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Carb Master from Kroger is yummy and has 4 carbs per container. They have lots of flavors. I love the cinnamon roll and the vanilla!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Why the heck is there a banner ad at the top of this page for Oreos?!?! Seriously?!?!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Carbmaster is okay. Just make sure it's the kind without fruit. Also, I don't where you are located but if you are in Northern California, check out a yogurt company called Peak. They make low carb triple cream yogurt (both regular and Greek styles) but right now it's only available locally:

http://www.peakyogurt.com/
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't do sweeteners.... I eat an oikos plain greek yogurt every morning. The benefits of yogurt are awesome!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Liberte Mediterranee plain yogourt, nothing but milk, cream, bacterial culture - no sweeteners or fillers like gelatin, 9-10% fat. US version of their website to find where you can buy it: liberteyogurt.com/

Hmmm, strange... I don't see the plain on offer in the US. Lots more choices in Canada, liberte.ca/en/ , maybe send them a note to find out where you can buy it in the US.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I like the Chobani whole milk. I use 1/2 cup every morning in my smoothie. you can buy it by the pint at Publix.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Why the heck is there a banner ad at the top of this page for Oreos?!?! Seriously?!?!

They've realized we have shunned their carbs. :grin:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I make whole milk yogurt with a 24 hour fermentation at 110 degrees F, to make sure the lactose is gone. Then I strain the whey off, because I prefer it that way. I like it plain.

This is the general idea: http://paleoleap.com/homemade-yogurt/
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i like oikos triple 0
    i eat about 1/8 cup with berries
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Make you're own yogurt, it's pretty easy and tastes orders of magnitude better than any store bought. And its much more probiotic when freshly made.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet I am in Nor Cal and will look for Peak! I've not seen it at the regular grocery, but may be able to find it at a specialty store.
  • lowcarbluvin
    Options
    Are you in the US? Kroger has CarbMaster yogurt

I am but not in a place where there is a Kroger. I really wish I could find some. Thanks.
  • lowcarbluvin
    Options
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    I don't do sweeteners.... I eat an oikos plain greek yogurt every morning. The benefits of yogurt are awesome!

I agree. It's been about a week do until.i start seeing issues I'm going to keep eating it.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've eaten yogurt in the past, I love adding unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia and chia seeds, but it definitely affects my blood sugar, so I avoid it now. I always bought the Fage plain as that had the lowest number of carbs at my grocery store.