Supplements again?

Options
DianaElena76
DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
Those who take magnesium supplements, how much do you take each day? What other supplements do you take? I have magnesium plus electrolytes supplements contain 500mg magnesium oxide (that's not even the good kind, is it?), and I take one before bed every night. If I've been having leg cramps, I take two. But I'm not sure if that's enough or if I'm missing something else or what. I also take a women's formula multivitamin and a 1000mg B-12 supplement, but I can't shake the sleepies and muscle tension on more days than not, so I'm convinced there's something more my body needs. Suggestions?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I take a variety of supplements.
    As far as magnesium, I've changed how and what I take over the last 10 months as I learned about it.
    I started out with magnesium oxide also. I didn't know it was such a poorly absorbed form. When I learned that, I couldn't buy more at that time and wanted to use what I had bought so I started taking more so that I absorbed more of it. I could tolerate 500mg twice a day with no problem so I also took 250mg mid day and sometimes took 750mg at night if I had constipation which I did occasionally. It never gave me an upset bowel, so I could've tolerated more.
    But then I magnesium citrate. I was taking 400mg twice a day with no tummy issues. 800mg total.
    Most recently I bought magnesium carbonate in powder form. I mix it (400mg) with water and ascorbic acid (3000mg vitamin C). I throw in a little sea salt and NuSalt (potassium), a squeezed lemon and a few drops of raspberry stevia and it's a really good drink. I'll have that twice a day. Since I have no digestive response from that dosage I may add a third drink a day. It's helping me get more water too, which is never a priority for me.
    Besides that, I take krill oil, MCT oil, collagen and ginkgo biloba.

If you're interested in learning more about magnesium and how important it truly is there's a great book called The Magnesium Miracle.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i take alot. when i get home, i will post my amounts.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I take 800mg Mag Glycinate at dinner (used to take it at bedtime but the water needed to swallow the huge pills had me up to pee in the night haha). I'd started with 400mg and honestly don't recall what made me double it, but I find that with taking 800mg I sleep better than I did at 400mg, and since I am for the moment stuck taking narcotics regularly the 800mg dose (plus coffee and occasional miralax when needed) keeps things moving pretty well on the back end. I think I ought to mix up my Magnesiums though, as the Glycinate is rather expensive to be using that much just to achieve the laxative effect!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SAM-e (for methylation)
    400mg

TMG (trimethylclycine - for mehtylation)
    500mg

lutein (for eye health)
    10 mg

zeaxanthin (for eye health)
    2 mg

choline (for methylation)
    400mg

P-5-P (B6)
    40mg

FolaPro (folate = B9)
    1600mg

methylcobalamin (B12)
    6000mcg

vitamin C
    2000mg

gamma tocopherol (Vitamin E)
    750mg

DHA (cold fish oil)
    2400mg

IntraCal (magnesium + calcium)
    magnesium 550mg
    calcium oratate 1100mg

cholecalciferol (vitamin D3)
    1000iU

PQQ (for heart health)
    20mg

ubiquinol (Co-Q10)
    100mg

**please note some are MG, some are MCG and others are iU;
    this is all PER DAY**

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! I'm thinking I need to up my magnesium and add some other supplements.