Hello, everybody!

Options
Just thought I would introduce myself since I'm the newest member of your group. I'm Michelle, a 27-year-old wife coming up on our 2-year anniversary. We have no children except for an 11-year-old Black Lab. I live in northeast Ohio, but I like to imagine it's Narnia or Middle-Earth most days (yes, I'm a huge geek . . . AND PROUD OF IT). I write copy and promotional material for a small marketing firm, but I'm leaving all that behind later this month to pursue a career in a library! I am stupidly excited for that. I love books so much more than I love marketing.

In the past few years, I had lost over 60 pounds, and thanks to being a little too carefree on a vacation last fall, gained about 10 of that back that just WILL NOT come off. It might have been more than 10. I stayed off the scale for ages after that vacation. But at any rate, I've got a feeling this year is going to be full of hitting goals for me, so I'm excited.

Thanks so much for accepting a whipper snapper like me into your group! I already know Shelly, Paula, and Chris from a past Lord of the Rings challenge we completed together, but I'm looking forward to getting to know the rest of you, too. :)

Replies

• cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,437 Member
    Options
    Hey Michelle! Welcome to our little group! Hope you have fun!

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,897 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining Michelle!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OK I get the "Fofthe Lucky Fit", Chris; and the Fofthe "Stronghearts", Shelley; but really Michelle, the "Fofthe Whackadoodle Fitzherbert Bob"? LOL!!

And then there's this one!
    MarvelGrrl wrote: »
    Fellowship #6 is now The Fellowship of Silly Walks pphto2c1ump2.jpg

• PaulaKro
    Options
    Hey Michelle, I'm a 62yr bookkeeper who lives in the mountains in near San Francisco. You'd like it here because like your backyard, our trails look much like Middle Earth. Also a furbaby mommy but my dog is a cat who likes to greet people and fetch.

Also a geek, my dollhouse is filled with Marvel action figures, and is surrounded with fields and mountains of unicorns and dragons. (The dollhouse and its surroundings take up a whole room. Good things my kids all meow and don't need the spare bedroom.) Still in love with my husband after twenty some years even though he doesn't like to camp.

Chris leads me to LOTR challenges and Shelley makes me lift weights. Kathy is a tennis maniac and Clara is regrouping from a tough year.

BTW, I'm in the Free People. Miss seeing you friends in your private chat rooms, but it's been fun. Getting quiet now though, people track the spreadsheet but not much chat. How is it in your groups?

:flowerforyou: Paula
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Paula I like stronghearts! My group is the same Paula. I do not like the separation. I miss spying and visiting all groups.

Michelle 60 pounds is quite an accomplishment! That is rocking!
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    "Whackadoodle Fitzherbert Bob" was NOT my idea, haha! I really hate it. I'm not even sure where it came from. Oh well. I miss all my hobbits. I agree, everyone seems to have gotten really shy in our new groups.

I have a t-shirt with that Fellowship of Silly Walks picture on it!! Gotta love LOTR/Monty Python crossovers. Wish I was in your fellowship! :laugh:

Paula, I would love to see all your Marvel figurines and unicorns and dragons and Middle-Earth trails! And meet your fetching cat. That all sounds so fun.

Thanks, Shelley! Right now my overall loss is closer to 53 pounds, which I have to tell myself is still quite an accomplishment whenever I get discouraged that I'm not where I was.

Gonna lift this morning - squats, overhead presses, and power cleans. Looking forward to it! Better go get ready to leave.

• cpanus
    Options
    Okay, Michelle...that would shorten to "WFB"...I can do a lot with that but Whackadoodle Fitzherbert Bob would not be included! :p

I am the oldest of the group...even older today!! Born in San Diego...Navy brat until I was 8 or 9. Married to a pretty nice guy...for 32 years. Live in East Contra Costa County in northern California. Love it!! Retired a year ago this month and love it. Spend the morning w/my DH and grandpuppy Bean walking and then I get on the recumbent for a TV show...right now I'm into Grimm. My DDD is going to have our first grandbaby in August. We are all very excited. I help her in her 1st grade classroom almost every day. She teaches them to read and write, and I sharpen their pencils! I love to read. I'm working through all the books written by Robert Crais right now. I lost 62 pounds about 10 years ago...kept it off until recently when 10 or so creeped back on. I'm working on it, but it's a bit different now that I'm older. Things that worked when I was 40 don't work now.

I'm hoping my new group is a little more active than my last one. You know how I hate to be the last one posting.

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Michelle,

53 pounds is fantastic! That will make such a difference!! You must love how much easier it is to more and do things. Does it help inspire why you like to workout?

Congratulations!

Paula
  • PaulaKro
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BTW, how about some back stories...

What is a DDD, you ask? Well, Chris' tells us about her wonderful DD, who was dating, earned a doctorate (thus DDD Darling Doctor Daughter), adopted a fur-baby pup (Bean), got married and now is having a baby. :bigsmile: So exciting!

I confess to liking all the fellowship names, especially the Silly Walks, even "Whackadoodle Fitzherbert Bob" (someone asked, what kind of name should we come up with, can it be something like Whackadoodle, Fitzherbert, or Bob? ...and it stuck.) - but then it's fun to giggle.

That's why I used to like to drink with friends, to giggle and have fun. But bariatric surgery three years ago changed my stomach absorption - now alcohol will put me under the table :noway: so I stick to root beer. :sad:

Chris claims to be the oldest, but she isn't, we're the same age. She's just the sister-in-spirit who popped out first. :wink:

:flowerforyou: Paula
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    oh my, are we going to be claiming to be the eldest here now Paula? Talk about silliness! You are by far the silliest of us all! :*

I am also into Grimm, and being the last one posting. Accept here. Don't mind having the last word. Muahaha
  • WranglerMichelle
    Options
    The 53-pound loss definitely helps, Paula! I used to think of working out as such a punishment or necessary evil. Now my rest days are filled with thoughts of "I can't wait until tomorrow so I can work out again." Haha!

Ah, so THAT'S what DDD means! I figured "daughter" was one of the Ds, so I just read it as such. Now I know!

I stick to root beer, too, but mostly because I've never liked the way alcohol tastes. I like a nice sweet wine occasionally, and my husband and I enjoy Seagram's Escapes when the weather warms up. Drinks like mango mai tais that don't really taste like alcohol are good, too. But if I can taste too much of the drink? Ick. It's like me and coffee - throw in enough cream and sugar to drown out the coffee flavor, and I might like it!

Erm . . . youngest here. I'll be the little sister of the group. :smiley:
  • cpanus
    Options
    Okay little sister...I'm like you on my rest days trying to talk my DH into a walk...but NO!! And I don't drink any more. I'll have a beer or two on special occasions, but nothing like I used to drink before children and going back to school. I gave up soda a long, long time ago, but I am a huge coffee drinker...no cream, no sugar. I grind my beans.

You'll find that I am very proud of my DDD. It is a kick in the pants to hear her first graders call her Doctor! We gave my DH a robot kit for Christmas, and he put it together. I had over 600 pieces to it...it's pretty cool. Well, this week is "invention week" in the 1st grade. DDD is teaching them about robots. After their afternoon recess, Machanoid was sitting on one of the desks and she showed the kids how he worked. She told him to dance and he did (he has about six different dances he can do!). She told him to shake her hand...high five...work out...tell a joke...she put him on the floor and told him to walk with her...they held hands and walked around the classroom. Each kid got to either high five him or shake his hand. It was sooo funny! The kids loved it. Tomorrow they will draw him and write a five sentence paragraph about him. She teaches them stuff...I sharpen their pencils!!

:)

Chris
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,269 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle, I'm a 56 year old Senior Budget Analyst from Covington GA. I consider myself a geek as well, one of my passions is anything Harry Potter. I have all of the books...both hard copy and paper back....all 8 movies and a pretty good collection of Harry "stuff".

And speaking of Harry, I'm going on a spring break trip next month with my BFF and her grandsons (my godsons) and I don't know who's more excited to go to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter me or my eight year old godson.

My other passion is tennis. I participated in an apprentice class about 3 years ago and the next thing I knew I playing recreational league tennis. I still don't know how it happened but my BFF had a little something to do with it. :)

Don't ask how I found this group, I don't remember but somehow Shelley, Paula and Chris became my motivators, supporters and great friends. They have been instrumental in helping me finally get under 200 lbs. I started my weight loss journey several years ago at 248 and I'm currently 199. My goal is 150. I have no doubt I will reach it with the help of this group.

Again welcome and I look forward to getting to know you. :D

Kathy
  • WranglerMichelle
    Options
    Chris, I bet your house smells great after you grind those beans. I LOVE the way coffee smells, but to drink it? It's just not my "cup of tea." :wink: I drink water and tea, and that's just about it.

Is it sad that I'm jealous of those first graders? I want to play with Machanoid! :D That sounds so amazing.

Kathy, I'm currently in a Harry Potter challenge! It JUST started, so it probably won't be accepting any new students for a little bit, I'll alert you when they open enrollment again! We have Potions every week (diet/nutrition challenge), as well as Quidditch (exercise), and Room of Requirement/Forbidden Forest/Defense against the Dark Arts (optional challenges). We're all sorted into houses - I'm in Ravenclaw House. And you have a common room and dorm mates. It's super fun! And oh my goodness, I can't wait to hear about your trip next month!! That sounds like a blast!

Congrats on hitting "onederland!" I'm excited to be here cheering you on as you hit your goals!

• claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Welcome Michelle! I too work in a library. I manage the Barbara Bush Library in Spring, TX. I've been a librarian for about 28 years. I am 58 years old, trying to lose 2 to 3 stubborn last pounds and maintain.
    I love to drink martinis but try to keep them down to 2 drinks a week. Love to workout and getting back on track after a death in the family. Someone mentioned that I've had a rough year. It has been up and down. Moved my sick MIL to Texas, went to France in June, my little brother died suddenly in July, had a beautiful wedding for my DD in Nov., MIL slowly died, and now settling her estate and comforting my SIL.
    SIL flies back home next Wed. And then we'll see how life is without MIL.
    This group has been very supportive and I appreciate them!
  • PaulaKro
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Clara, Here's to normalcy :drinker: hope your life levels out soon.

Michelle, I was in Ravenclaw last year, but had to drop out for the same reason I'm an LOTR free person - don't want to drag a team down by my time constraints. I know Ravenclaw is an eagle, but the name is "raven" - right? I'm human, but my name is "kro" (like "crow"). :bigsmile:

Paula
  • WranglerMichelle
    Options
    Good to meet you, Clara! I'm excited you work in a library as well. There are truly some kindred spirits in this group!

Wow, that HAS been a rough year. :cry: It sounds like it had its bright spots, but lots of sadness, too. Hope things get back on track for you and your family soon!

Paula - The time constraints in the Harry Potter challenge are definitely a lot tighter than the LOTR challenge, so I'm a little intimidated by that! I'll do my best to keep up, though. I feel like with my shift in schedule soon, I should have a little bit more time each day, so hopefully it's easy enough to keep up. And yes, Ravenclaw's crest is an eagle but features "raven" in the title. Probably because it rolls off the tongue better than "Eagleclaw"? I don't know. Haha! A question for Ms. Rowling, I suppose.