What were your experiences directly after surgery?

Options
I'm almost done with my appointment phase and I'll soon be getting the VSG, and I was wondering, what did you all experience after surgery? Did you wake up in pain? In how much pain were you? Any other discomforts? What was the hardest thing for you after surgery? Do you have any regrets? How long was it until you felt completely normal again? How long until you were back at work? Any advice for new sleevers? I'm just nervous about surgery.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The trapped air from the laparoscopic surgery was the most painful part for me. I felt it immediately upon waking, and off and on for a couple of weeks post op. It does pass eventually, and is different for everyone. The hardest thing for me, after surgery, was realising that stalls do happen with WLS. They still mess with your head, but know they will happen! Regrets! I'm afraid I do have regrets, wishing I would have never had the surgery to start with, but mine wasn't done properly (super rare I am sure), and it made me sick, leading to the need for RNY, and malabsorption (exactly what I didn't want! So yes, I have regrets!). I choose to not look back though! Only forward, making this the best, most healthy life I can for myself! Best of luck to you!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 11/23/15 I was put on a morphine pump after surgery so I didn't feel much pain. I was up and walking the night of surgery. My pain was very minimal. I went home with liquid hydrocodone that I took every 4 hrs for the first couple days and then took it only at night when needed. I would have to say the hardest part was getting my fluids and protein in. I was so sick of yogurt and protein shakes. You will get exhausted easily and need to take it easy at first. I thought I would have a hard time sleeping but I propped a couple pillows in bed and did just fine. I would say it takes a few months to feel back to normal and I dont feel totally there yet. I still get very tired at times. I am not working right now so that wasn't an issue for me. I absolutely do not regret having my surgery. There are highs and lows in the weight loss but I would never be where I am now without it. Being nervous is normal. If you have any questions ask here or you may feel free to message me.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a ton of pain, but I was very nauseous the first 3 days post op. I spent 3 nights in the hospital before they were confident they could keep my nausea under control using oral meds and I'd be able to get my liquids in. I have had that reaction to anesthesia previously, so it was on everyone's radar that it could be an issue. By day 4, the anesthesia had worked its way mostly out of my body and I felt MUCH better. I did still get tired easy, and drinking 60oz of fluids was a full time job. But I have no regrets about doing it, 10 months later.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options
    I wasn't in a ton of pain, but I was very nauseous the first 3 days post op. I spent 3 nights in the hospital before they were confident they could keep my nausea under control using oral meds and I'd be able to get my liquids in. I have had that reaction to anesthesia previously, so it was on everyone's radar that it could be an issue. By day 4, the anesthesia had worked its way mostly out of my body and I felt MUCH better. I did still get tired easy, and drinking 60oz of fluids was a full time job. But I have no regrets about doing it, 10 months later.

I usually have nausea after anesthesia also and let my surgeon know this. They put some kind of patch on my neck before surgery and I was surprised how well it worked. If I ever have surgery again for any reason I will make sure I get that patch again. I have to look at my paperwork and see what it was.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I usually have nausea after anesthesia also and let my surgeon know this. They put some kind of patch on my neck before surgery and I was surprised how well it worked. If I ever have surgery again for any reason I will make sure I get that patch again. I have to look at my paperwork and see what it was.

I also had a patch, plus IV meds. They did their best and worked through several concoctions for me. I knew it was a risk for me, as did my surgeon and anesthesiologist. It wasn't fun, but they had it mostly under control by day 2, but opted to keep me one more night without the IV meds to be certain I wouldn't go back into another vomiting cycle that night after leaving. I felt much better the following day, and had almost no issues with nausea at home once I was released.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Options

I was petrified about becoming nauseated after surgery. I'm sorry you went through it. Sounds like they did all they could. Thank goodness it was better by the time you went home
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I felt pretty good. Groggy from anesthesia, slow and very low energy, but not too much pain really. The norco makes me kind of happy-tired-insomniac so I was sleeping very lightly in 2-3 hour chunks and then enlisting a medical assistant to walk the halls with me through the night. That would wear me out quickly and I'd doze more. The most uncomfortable part was going the 24 hours without water. They gave me a sponge on a stick to wet my mouth with but it was super annoying dry mouth for what felt like forever.

I felt so good that at 2 weeks I tore my internal stitches by overdoing something and wow, that was painful. Was mostly back to normal by 5 weeks. And that was my own fault, though I'm still not sure what exactly tore them, just that they started hurting at some point.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi: the nausea patch they place on the neck/behind the ear...is named Scopolamine.
  • r0sesarered
    r0sesarered Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I felt pretty decent right after surgery - the usual light grogginess, but very minimal pain compared to what I'd anticipated. The next day the nausea hit, and that hung around for three days. I went back to get a little extra IV fluids and an IV drug for nausea and that did help some. As horrible as vomiting sounds right after a sleeve, it didn't hurt any worse than how vomiting in general makes you feel lousy.

Once that nausea cleared, I was surprised by how tired I was in the first week or two. Walking my dogs half way around the block felt like running a 5K. That lasted for about ten days and then I was just my usual tired self. I have to say I wish I'd have started doing more exercise (walking) sooner.

I think I gave into the "I feel tired" too much. I say this because at about 7-8 weeks I started back at the gym with a trainer. For the first week my stamina was horrible, I felt like a whimp, and I was out of breath with hardly any exercise. But after about 3 or 4 trips to the gym for 1/2 an hour I started to feel so much more energetic in general.

As for regrets - I have ZERO. I was about 65-75 pounds overweight and am down something like 52 pounds now (preop diet started 8/1 and surgery on 9/10/15). I am extremely proud of the fact that I've been hitting the gym 3x/week since just before Thanksgiving and it's really paying off. Although I don't have any regrets, I can say I do miss being able to occasionally eat a 'normal' portion of something. This only happens when I have some amazing food, eat my mini portion, but want to have a little more because it's just so enjoyable. Eating isn't the fun, social event it used to be but that's okay. I'm adjusting :)

Best of luck to you!!!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly 3 years out from VSG. I remember feeling fantastic when I woke up - I wondered if they'd done the surgery yet. When I started to move, I had pain and nausea. For me, like some of the other posters, nausea was the worst. The pain was minimal. Dry mouth and chapped lips were also irritating. Pack a chap stick for the hospital.

My recovery was easy and I went back to my desk job in 2 weeks. My only regret is that I waited so long to consider WLS. My highest weight was 290 and since surgery I've been maintaining a weight of 155-165. It's still a struggle and you'll have to work at it for the rest of your life, but the surgery is a tremendous tool!
    Best of luck to you.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had very bad experiences following my gall bladder removal and hernia repair surgeries (anesthesia and pain issues), so I was really expecting a rough recovery considering I had RNY, hiatal hernia repair, and part of my esophagus removed.

I don't know what was different about the surgeon or management but I walked a mile the night of my surgery (broken up over several hours); I only spent one night in the hospital. I was walking 3 miles a day (in 1 mile increments) by 8 days after.

I used prescription pain medication for about a week at night...but that was as much to help me sleep as anything.

Unfortunately, at 10 days post surgery, I developed a case of hospital acquired pneumonia and pancreatitis. That landed me back in the hospital for 4 more nights...they tried to keep me more but I insisted on being discharged.

That recovery was much harder than the original surgery...It was weeks before I could walk 3 miles a day without completely exhausting myself.

I don't regret it for a moment but it was unexpected and rough. I was happy, in the end, that I applied for (and took advantage of) the maximum amount of short term disability for which I was eligible (6 weeks). I was able to jump right into my normal work and travel schedule without any issues.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am about 2 1/2 years post surgery. I honestly had very little discomfort after surgery. No nausea, no major pain. The first couple of days I slept sitting up in my comfy chair because I have a tendency to toss and turn when I sleep in my bed and I just wanted to be careful. After I got home I didn't even take the pain meds I was prescribed. Once in a while I took tylenol, but I felt like my aches were mainly from healing. I was up and around quickly. After a few days I was bored so I had my boss email me some work. I made sure I got up and walked around as much as I could. The worst thing was the fatigue but I just made sure I got enough rest, and eventually that went away. As you can see from reading all the replies, everyone's experience is different. I think because I did a lot of exercise before surgery and lost a nice chunk of weight before surgery, that helped me have an easy recovery.
  • 64Leslo
    64Leslo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 days post surgery and feel great. I had the ear patch which came off in shower this morning. I'm only talking 1 Tylenol every 4 hrs. I just feel muscle soreness like after a wicked ab workout. Energy is good. Better than before surgery. I lost over 20lbs in my 6 month eval and the 2 week pre-op soft food diet got me in the right mindset. I miss chewing food but miss (TMI) pooping more than chewing ;). I'm on full liquids until next week then to soft foods for 3 weeks. I wish I had done this sooner!
  • ashmiller001
    ashmiller001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So nice to read these! I'm scheduled to be sleeved the end of this month. I start my liver shrinking diet next week. I've been trying to watch what I eat now just so I'm in a healthier mindset. The main thing I'm nervous about is pain, I'm only able to take a week off work but thankfully I have a desk job so that's a plus.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm at my one week point post-RNY. I don't know if there is a big difference in pain levels between the RNY and the sleeve, but for me I was able to stop taking the pain meds by my 4th day home. And even in those days it was not really that painful, more like uncomfortable. The biggest thing for me was the fatigue and tiredness. Its hard to get the fluids in that you need when all you want to do is nap! But now that I'm getting a decent amount of protein per day, I'm feeling much better. Also, getting out of the house to go to my follow-up appointment helped me feel more energized and back to normal.

Good luck with your surgery at the end of the month! No regrets here and I hope its the same for you :)
  • BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 4 days out from my vsg. I have muscle pin but I feel like most of my pain is gas pain, and tmi but I am thrilled when I let one rip because of the relief it brings ;). Working on getting all my protein and liquids in. The hospital had me drinking water/protein shakes and walking the night of my procedure.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass on Nov.11.15 and the day of surgery I was a little sore and VERY nauseous and EXTREAMLY thirsty and I pretty much stayed that way for weeks, and even now I have to have water with me at all times. The day after surgery I hurt pretty good and was still very nauseous. But the more you are able to get up and walk the better it will be. And please have someone stay with you to be your helper/support because you will need it 100%. And for the love of God make sure you have had a BM the day before surgery, I did not and it almost put me back into the hospital after I got home ( I didn't have one at the hospital either ). Everyone has a different experience, mine was NOT good the first 2 months I cried every single day and wished I had not done it. I am just now starting to NOT feel nauseous thank God. And the stalls will put you into a big depression if your no careful, I lost like crazy at first and then NOTHING for over a month. Just remember the stalls DO happen but they pass. And you have to remember that if your not losing pounds your losing inches :-) Just be prepared that its not all great, there are going to be times you will wish you didn't do it..but then again there are some that have NO problems at all. I hope your one of those :-)
  • petunia773
    petunia773 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I had my RNY in February 2008 and from what I remember the two problems I had were when the gas they pumped in to me during surgery was trying to get out through my shoulders and that was the worst pain I've ever felt and the fact that my birth control pills made me totally nauseous and I had to stop taking them. I have regained some weight and am working on getting it back off through a low carb diet and more exercise. The surgey is just a tool and I've learned from my experience that you can put eat the surgery.
  • 64Leslo
    64Leslo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    High energy
    Low stamina but that starts to right itself as you add solids and move move move
    Cold feet
    CONSTIPATION.
    I'm 1 month out.