Sleep quality and weakness

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
A couple of things I've noticed lately for me. I fall asleep ok for the most part, and even if I stay asleep through the night, my sleep quality itself isn't super. I wake up still tired almost daily as of late. In addition to that, I lift weights. The weight on the bar has been higher in the past than I have it at now and I'm struggling recently. I don't understand how I could possibly have gotten weaker. I had to drop weight to be able to complete sets...it's baffling. So I'm wondering a couple of things. I'm fairly mindful about my sodium levels, but maybe not enough? Also, I've heard that although the magnesium supplements can help be calming, they can also create more energy. Maybe I should try taking my supplements at lunch instead of before bed? Maybe add in a melatonin tablet in the evening for better sleep?? Thoughts??

Replies

• Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I like my magnesium and potassium in the morning.

I find that I am unable to perform at the gym or work the way I can when I'm well rested. Sleep is really important! Melatonin is super helpful if you aren't sleeping restfully.

I hope you feel better!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Weakness can be due to a lot of things, even muscle loss (due to weight loss on a hypocaloric diet, for example).

Focus on improving sleep quality first. Supplements wouldn't be my first choice (unless you're post-menopausal).

Fix the root problem if you can. Stress? Circadian disruptors? Husband snoring?
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I'm not stressed..my husband uses his iPad next to me at night. It doesn't keep me from falling asleep, though (most of the time). He has recently started snoring, too, though - although I don't find that the snoring wakes me up. If I wake up (to pee or whatever), it's harder to fall back to sleep. Maybe I should wear my sleep mask and see if that helps. I would try ear plugs, too, but then I wouldn't hear my alarm in the morning. I keep it set low because it goes off so early...and I'm a pretty light sleeper so next to no volume is generally enough to wake me.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The weakness is probably related to not getting enough sleep which could be related to nutrient intake? A former pro athlete I follow posted on Snapchat yesterday that he was challenged to get 8 hrs of sleep every night and still reach all his goals as a businessman/author. He said he started sleeping 8 hrs and his weight lifting session yesterday was the best performance he'd had in years and he works out every single day!! So I bet you'll see better results if you figure out the sleep thing. I just couldn't believe he said years...years! Lol
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Fix the root problem if you can. Stress? Circadian disruptors? Husband snoring?

This! And if it persists despite everything, do see your doctor and see if they recommend a sleep study to rule out apnea or other sleep disorders. You deserve a good night's sleep!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I personally would never take melatonin. I would be worried about the down regulation of natural melatonin secretion. Then you're stuck taking it forever. I do understand that it can be safe in much smaller amounts than what they are typically sold in at stores though. Plus, you said you're falling asleep just fine. I wouldn't mess with melatonin. Sounds like you're waking up at the worst time in your sleep cycle to me.
    The best thing I can suggest is to try a sleep app like Sleep Cycle. It is set to wake you within a 30 minute window and will wake you anytime during that window that you are already the most awake. This means your alarm doesn't snatch you up out of a deeper sleep state unnaturally. When you wake this way, even if it's earlier than you would normally wake, you feel more rested. So if the absolute latest you could wake up is 6:30am, you would set the alarm to wake you between 6 and 6:30 and whenever you are in your lightest sleep state, it will wake you. It's pretty amazing how much of a difference it can make.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I do use sleep cycle...it has definitely helped me wake up easier. I've been using it for almost two weeks and I think it's really cool...especially since I've been feeling not so rested when I wake up. My average over the days I've been using it, in terms of sleep quality, is around 70%. Could be worse, I guess...many of the recent nights have been in the 60%'s. Maybe it's the season change or something...I don't know. Hopefully I can find a way to make it better naturally.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I sleep better when I have a fan on or use the Simply Noise App (I like the brown noise best :p ) Helps me reach deep sleep and stay there... Also, try to eliminate any excess light in the room - close the blinds and curtains, turn out the hall light, have your husband turn the backlight on his Ipad low (better for dark room reading anyway, is my understanding). Light on your eyelids signals "wake up" hormones...

Sleep is very important to me :# Best wishes!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I have a small fan running on the floor too. That's a good tip. It's such a normal thing I've done for so long I don't even think about it. lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I'm not stressed..my husband uses his iPad next to me at night. It doesn't keep me from falling asleep, though (most of the time). He has recently started snoring, too, though - although I don't find that the snoring wakes me up. If I wake up (to pee or whatever), it's harder to fall back to sleep. Maybe I should wear my sleep mask and see if that helps. I would try ear plugs, too, but then I wouldn't hear my alarm in the morning. I keep it set low because it goes off so early...and I'm a pretty light sleeper so next to no volume is generally enough to wake me.

Those things are likely still disrupting your sleep quality. Here's what I'd do:

1. Ban the electronics from the bedroom. The bedroom should be reserved for two things, and the iPad is not one of them.
    2. Get it as dark as you can. Blackout curtains are the best. Your whole body responds to light, so while a sleep mask can help, it doesn't help the other 99% of your body.
    3. Find the cause of your husband's snoring and get that taken care of. He'll sleep better and likely so will you.
    4. Go to bed at the same time each night, ideally before midnight (from what I've heard, you get better quality sleep in the hours before midnight, not totally sure on the mechanics of that).
    5. Keep the house a little cooler at night -- around 66-68 degrees, or a little cooler if you keep it there in the day time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    L-Theanine is also said to help you stay asleep better. My understanding is that it's another one of the supplements that is now deficient from our normal diet (It's an amino acid, if I'm not mistaken). Pharmaceutical grade at my pharmacy was expensive, but it did work. Melatonin NEVER helped me at all...

I also us a Meditation music app that I use one single track to help me fall asleep - I never meditate to that track. @Deena_Bean if I use this after I wake up to pee, I'm right back to dreamland.

I haven't used the L-Theanine in ages, but they have it alone or combo forms, too... Definitely better than sleep meds.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to work on trying a few of these. I've encouraged him gently to not use the screens in the room, but he is a terrible sleeper and when he can't sleep it's just what he does. He doesn't think the screens effect him...science or not. He thinks it can effect different people differently. I don't think so, really. I can probably get him to try one of the blue light filter things though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Sometimes we have to work with good enough. Can't achieve the perfect scenario. But I think there are still great options that can help you.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Taking notes for my own sleep issues. :)
    Good luck, OP! I hope your sleep quality and strength improve soon.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've had sleep disruptions that I finally overcame with Simply Sleep, which is the same as Benadryl. Like you, I fell asleep just fine, but would wake up at about 2:30am every morning to use the bathroom and not be able to get back to sleep for hours. The Diphenhydramine HCl did the trick, and if I wake up at all, I can fall right back to sleep.