Options

Replies

• E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Three pair of size 12 that legitimately fit. Bought 3 pair at Kohl's for under $100.00. I am set for quite awhile for my casual. I bought a few articles of clothing at Walmart for the gym. The outfits are super cute. The last thing I have to worry about is my professional wardrobe. Another size 14 professional outfit bit the dust this week. I better go try on a suit, I have 3 important meetings this week.

Thank you, @luluinca for encouraging me to get rid of them. I have some other dresses that will have to go too.
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @E_Brault - Shopping for new, smaller clothes is it's own reward! Love it!
    Just added back in some more clothes from my closet that finally fit again and pulled out some more that are now too big. I love shopping for free in my own closet!!! Looks like, this summer, I'm going to have to do some shopping for new shorts though. Yippee!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Spent the last few days sorting through things at my mom's house. I own it and my daughter still lives there so, there was never any urgency to clean it out. *Sigh*. So this time, I went through some closets....mom was very stylish and a real clothes horse. (That particular trait totally missed me!). She had every closet in the house stuffed with fashions from every time period! She always bought high quality and kept them forever. What do I do with mink? She had a white stole, a white short jacket, a brown longer jacket and a full length white coat! Not to mention the hats and collars! Anyway, I tried on a leather jacket I always liked....and it fit me! What? I have never been able to wear my mom's clothes since I was 13 and found some vintage '40s crop blouses I thought were cool. Then I got chesty and nothing has fit me since. Until yesterday! I had a very long, emotional but good day going through closets and trying on some incredible fashions. Won't be able to wear many of them....I don't dress up and go out very much, but I could actually "wear" them....they fit! Fifties belted dresses I remember her wearing to pick me up at school, '60's "Mod" look mini skirts and stirrup pants, '70's long pointed collars and '80's big wide shoulders! All here! What a treasure but now a new problem. I pick out a few things that I think I can pull off wearing now but what to do with the rest? Certainly an interesting closet shopping trip for me. And more to go!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    @E_Brault - Shopping for new, smaller clothes is it's own reward! Love it!
    Just added back in some more clothes from my closet that finally fit again and pulled out some more that are now too big. I love shopping for free in my own closet!!! Looks like, this summer, I'm going to have to do some shopping for new shorts though. Yippee!

That's great! Do tell what shorts you buy. I forgot, I will need a couple shorts too. My favorite were from Walmart - cargo shorts with a bunch of pockets. They might have been Levi or Lee. At the end of last season, I bought a pair of sandals from Clarks - great deal.

Enjoy!

• E_Brault
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    Spent the last few days sorting through things at my mom's house. I own it and my daughter still lives there so, there was never any urgency to clean it out. *Sigh*. So this time, I went through some closets....mom was very stylish and a real clothes horse. (That particular trait totally missed me!). She had every closet in the house stuffed with fashions from every time period! She always bought high quality and kept them forever. What do I do with mink? She had a white stole, a white short jacket, a brown longer jacket and a full length white coat! Not to mention the hats and collars! Anyway, I tried on a leather jacket I always liked....and it fit me! What? I have never been able to wear my mom's clothes since I was 13 and found some vintage '40s crop blouses I thought were cool. Then I got chesty and nothing has fit me since. Until yesterday! I had a very long, emotional but good day going through closets and trying on some incredible fashions. Won't be able to wear many of them....I don't dress up and go out very much, but I could actually "wear" them....they fit! Fifties belted dresses I remember her wearing to pick me up at school, '60's "Mod" look mini skirts and stirrup pants, '70's long pointed collars and '80's big wide shoulders! All here! What a treasure but now a new problem. I pick out a few things that I think I can pull off wearing now but what to do with the rest? Certainly an interesting closet shopping trip for me. And more to go!

This must be difficult, but if you do want to sell the items - you can try Craig's List. You might even have fun selling them on e-bay. As for fur coats, you must live in a cold climate. Older people tend to buy fur. Try putting it in the PennySaver. There are many older people who will not buy online and are more comfortable reading the local PennySaver.

Start with just one item. Who knows? It might just turn into a side business for you.

• E_Brault
    Options
    I found my former "favorite shorts" that I used wear in a size 16 or 18. Apparently, I bought them at Kohl's - they have an elastic waist. No more elastic waists for me! I will never overeat another meal.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Losing weight is effecting every part of my wardrobe and my desire to take care of me. I just retired some old PJs for something silky and pretty.

Anyone have opinions on gym clothes? I have been buying mine at Walmart. I like the Lycra stretchy stuff. I've seen some pants with compression built into the knees - that seems so smart.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of things used or at discount stores like TJ Max and Walmart. I think that's fine.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    High heels or not? I'm a NYer, I love beautiful clothes - especially with 3 inch heels. I will be interviewing soon. I feel most confident in a suit and beautiful shoes. I have not been able to wear pretty shoes or pretty clothing in a while. Recently, I purchased Clarks - they are super comfy and about one inch. I don't feel like I walk like a lady in them - for lack of a better way of expressing myself. The Clarks look good with pants, but not my skirt suits.

I would appreciate any constructive thoughts on the subject.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have made such progress. For an interview, wear what you are most confident in. :)
    Are there beautiful shoes for you that are a little lower than three inches?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Last time I went shoe shopping was in October. I have lost 20 pounds since then. I just read an article about how heels throw off the alignment of back, hips, and knees. If I really want to be good to myself, I might have to pass on the heels.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have not bought new shoes for a while but I am guessing you could find a beautiful pair of flat dress shoes. Maybe something like a ballet shoe. Or something metallic.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    You can do what my mom always did...wear the comfortable shoes (pants, T-shirt) to the nearest restroom and then change into the "professional look" before entering the door. One reason to carry a large hand-bag :-) I can't tell you how many times we stopped at a gas station on our way somewhere so mom could dress "properly" - she hated having her skirt wrinkled by sitting in the car with a seat belt so she hung the good skirt in the back until we were within sight of our destination!
    The heels will make you feel more beautiful which will translate into more confidence and assurance. When it is over, back to the shoes that won't throw your body out of whack and which are comfortable for walking. Interviews don't usually last too long and much of your time will probably be spent sitting and talking. Pretty shoes may be worth it in the short-term if it means you feel more professional and exude that confidence to land the job. Good luck with your interviews....regardless of your shoes!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm a NYer too. One who falls a lot. Haven't worn heels in ....
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    For the longest, I thought I had gotten to old to manage heels. Then I lost 80 pounds and I could wear them again, turns out I was just fat. Who knew?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Ok, off to the mall tomorrow. I like Clark's shoes - nice leather - upper and lower. I need a couple of pull over knit tops anyway. I can get some serious steps in at the mall. Lol
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Happy shopping!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    The mall was empty. There is a newer and much nicer mall about 5 miles away - didn't want to deal with crowds. Poor decision. The selection at this mall has deteriorated. I found a decent pair of Ralph Lauren shoes, but I am not sure I will keep them. I will go to the other mall tomorrow to make sure I didn't miss anything.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Whoa!!! TWO malls within 5 miles??? My closest is 75 miles from home :-) Good thing I really don't like to shop much! Hope you find something you will love.