still trying to figure out what to eat

Options
I am a very active person, I work out 6-7 times a week, and I run as well as lift. I actually just ran a half marathon this past weekend, and have several more this spring and fall, including a full marathon (my second) on tap for this fall.

I have dabble in the low carb way of life several times, and never stuck to it because it was hard to maintain my level of activity.

I am now back but with a more paleo approach, actually allowing myself potatoes and trying to keep dairy to a minimum.

I already feel like my body is adjusted, I am seeing results and feel strong, not weak like I have in the past.

Is anyone else here very active? Do you allow yourselves any starchy root veggies?

I have been allowing myself one serving a day if I am very active that day, and if I am not, I avoid the starchy root veggies.

I want to get the most of this lifestyle, and I see people here going keto. I am wondering if I should try it now that I am in between distance events.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Read! There's a ton of good info out there now.

My favorite:
    http://eatingacademy.com/

Also good:
    Art and Science of Low Carb Performance

Google "Zach Bitter" and Volek's FASTER study.

Basically, you're on the right track. Exercise will allow you to keto-adapt at relatively high carb intake levels. Traditional level is sub-50g. Average for the FASTER athletes was 80g. I probably average around 100g and can still deplete liver glycogen (and make ketones) with a good 5K run.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Yes Peter Attia is the MD/sports performance go to for keto science info at the eatingacademy.com
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks!