HBA1C & Cholesterol Results

Options
LowCarbInScotland
LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
Just sharing for anyone new to eating LCHF as I think we all go through that phase of wondering what's going to happen to our cholesterol when we start eating this way.

I just received my test results back today after my blood draw from last week, based on 90 days of eating LCHF, which included the consumption of red meat, butter, goose fat, dairy & coconut cream, mayo, eggs and bacon.

Here's the scoop (I converted it to US numbers so it made sense to me)

HBA1C NOW: 5.9 with 20 units of insulin most days
HBA1C A YEAR AGO: 6.3 with 310 units of insulin most days

I can't find my previous cholesterol numbers right now, but they were well within normal, but nowhere near this low.

LDL: 81
HDL: 50
Triglycerides: 62

My HDL is fine, but could use a boost, I imagine as I lose more weight and exercise more it will go up further.

And my electrolytes were all spot on and in the normal range.

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing; I love seeing posts like this.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's great. I'm SO excited albeit a touch nervous to get mine done in May.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is impressive! Congrats!!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    That's good news!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome results in just a short period of time. Can't wait your next round of results down the road. Keep up the great job at eating for health.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was a bit nervous as I just had to switch to a new medical practice and I didn't know how they were going to handle diabetes treatment. I'll be a little braver next time when I'm discussing my diet w/ my doc or diabetic nurse. I told them I had cut way back on my insulin (without being entirely honest as I didn't want to have my test strips taken away). They asked how it happened, I said it was based on diet, they asked what type of diet I was on, and I said "A ketogenic diet" as a little test. They had no idea what that meant, so when questioned, I just said low carb and skipped out the "high fat" like a big chicken. But hey, now they can't argue with me about it when I see them next, so maybe I'll spill the butter.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Those are great results! Well done!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Wonderful results @PaleoinScotland! I bet the hdl continues to rise over time! Mine did! Great validation that we need to know we are choosing right, and not harming ourselves, as so many would want us to believe! I look forward to reports of your continued success!!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    :p
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    LOL at spill the butter.
    And yep, I understand testing them out to see how they'll react. :)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I had similar results reported in this thread. (I've linked it here so anyone looking for more data has two reports.)
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    That is amazing. Congratulations!

I need to get my blood work repeated but wanted to wait 6 months on diet.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    That's so awesome @neohdiver such a huge improvement! I think we need a Lab Results thread that we can all add to.
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Awesome results, PaleoInScotland!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So happy for you! This is great news!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    This is really great news for me. I have admittedly been super sloppy with my low carbness as I conquer the feelings of guilt for not eating the same way my family does. My family on both sides have diabetes and my dads family has cholesterol problems. Do you think it's going to be horrible when I get blood work done in a month? I know 90 days is the usual time frame. Also were you losing weight at the same time? I've read that weight loss can show up in cholesterol as it moves things around to eliminate fat.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think we need a Lab Results thread that we can all add to.

I agree - that's why I linked mine to yours. One of the frequent challenges to eating a diet higher in fat is that it will destroy your cholesterol. It would be nice to be able to point to a collection of data - even if it is individual reports.

• LowCarbInScotland
    Options
    Also were you losing weight at the same time? I've read that weight loss can show up in cholesterol as it moves things around to eliminate fat.

@ogmomma2012 I lost 45 lbs during that time. And, yes, I've seen a number of people share that their cholesterol has gone up in the short term, citing that reason. Based on that I really didn't know what to expect with my results and was pleasantly surprised.