Newly diagnosed with hashis and so scared.

Options
Hi everyone! 2014 I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism caused by hot nodules. I had an ultrasound and rai uptake to confirm. I was off meds from April 15 and still am. My tsh is suppressed but free t3 and free t4 are within range. I had to beg my endo for antibodies test. Heightened tgab and anti tpo is 366. He says antibodies don't matter (ya right) . Everywhere i posted says hashimotos and my pcp said definitely an immune issue.

I can't stop reading horror stories online and it's messing with me. I am so scared I'm doomed. To be miserable and sick forever. (I currently have no symtoms.. Just anxiety over this) I'm scared I'm going to get every other auto immune disease, cancer, be obese forever because of it, brain deterioration etc. I know anxiety is causing this but I am just overwhelmed.

Please someone tell me it's not going to be like that :( all you see online is terrible stories.

I made an appointment with a holistic Dr who works with this and also am going gluten and dairy free and taking 250 mcg selenium and 5-6000 ui vitamin d ( my level I'd low)

Thanks for reading, just reaching out for support and hopefully seeing that living with this without completely suffering forever is possible

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Please stop reading all the horror stories and anything which is not from a recognised thyroid support site or proper medical site. It is possible to achieve an accommodation with it given the right medical support. I'm sure you younger women will have a much better future than us who were experiencing our first harsh symptoms including being rebuffed by the medical profession back in the 1960's. Much of this is discovering what is right for you. One site says there are up to 300 possible symptoms from which to take your own, as if you have a choice they choose you. This is probably why many of us take a lifetime to have a diagnosis. Please read from the links at the start of this group site some of it will ring true to yourself other things won't. And never ever give up.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Let me tell you - I was diagnosed about 5-6 years ago. And let me be realistic - life has not been a walk in the park - but there is plenty of hope. Do your research thoroughly (I recommend Stop the Thyroid Madness - very comprehensive site). Please don't be afraid to advocate for yourself with your doctor - (making an assumption here about your sex based on appearance, please correct me if I'm wrong) girls and women tend to be taught to be quiet and accept what an authority figure says, but that won't get you better.

I asked to have several tests done and to experiment with a couple different meds to find the right one for me - now that I'm on a med that's working for me, I'm working on advocating for a higher dosage so I feel better. Also, take it from someone who's been there and is still looking - please find a doctor/endocrinologist that listens to your concerns and doesn't just treat you as a collection of test results.

As a heads up regarding the auto-immune aspect - yes, it is true that if you have one auto-immune condition it is statistically likely that you will have more than one (they tend to be co-morbid), but I seem to be living proof that this is not guaranteed at all.
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    HypnoticHayleeLynn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts! I was so overwhelmed with horror stories online that I went into a frenzie. I am obsessing this but am being pro active. Right now I am not hypo. I have fine t3 and t4 and suppressed tsh. Highish antibodies. I have to try all I can to have a good doctor on board for when /if it gets worse. My endo isnt great but he will listen and run tests and is open to ndts. I also am on a six month waiting list to get in with a highly recommended holistic Dr who works with this.

I am hoping that by taking care of myself now I won't develop further diseases ( I have severe medical anxiety. My biggest fear is illness so this is so hard for me mentally) I'm now gluten and dairy free and going to keep up with exercise. A good doctor Is a must so I really hope the holistic Dr is great!

I really feel for everyone who is suffering. I wish we could all be well, but hopefully we can stick together and help educate motivate and inspire each other and feel the best that we can
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts! I was so overwhelmed with horror stories online that I went into a frenzie. I am obsessing this but am being pro active. Right now I am not hypo. I have fine t3 and t4 and suppressed tsh. Highish antibodies. I have to try all I can to have a good doctor on board for when /if it gets worse. My endo isnt great but he will listen and run tests and is open to ndts. I also am on a six month waiting list to get in with a highly recommended holistic Dr who works with this.

I am hoping that by taking care of myself now I won't develop further diseases ( I have severe medical anxiety. My biggest fear is illness so this is so hard for me mentally) I'm now gluten and dairy free and going to keep up with exercise. A good doctor Is a must so I really hope the holistic Dr is great!

I really feel for everyone who is suffering. I wish we could all be well, but hopefully we can stick together and help educate motivate and inspire each other and feel the best that we can

I hope I'm not being presumptuous, but have you considered seeing a therapist to help with reconciling your hypothyroidism with your fear of illness? They may be able to help you with some coping mechanisms at the very least and help you take down the stress level that comes with fear.
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    Options
    Yah I definitely am going to look back Into that next year. Right now my copay is too high so going to switch to another insurance next year :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if I submitted the correct parameters I could link researching WebMD to increase of cancer. There are so many sites making a buck via fear generation it should be criminal. Only source recognized peer reviewed sites. Thyroid disorders are by and large very treatable and manageable. Focus on the positive and relish in the fact you have been diagnosed. You now know what the issue is, simply focus on treatment. There are a number of elite level athletes with thyroid disorders who are now competing at a higher level post treatment. Jillian Michaels is one I continually point to if you need inspiration.

Start keeping a journal on your behavior - if you found MFP you are way ahead of the game. Link your diet and exercise to you medications and speak to your treating physician about this - present them with objective evidence and help them help you.
  • HypnoticHayleeLynn
    Options
    Thanks so much! Day at a time and learning as much as I can!
  • michsol1966
    michsol1966 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That's how I felt when I was first diagnosed too and now I don't even think about it at all. Those stories are not good to read. You are on your own journey and it will unfold for you - good or bad - you can handle it. Good luck.
  • Kgroppe
    Kgroppe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lived with hashimoto's for 25 years. You learn to adapt. It took about 10 years for my thyroid to totally burn out. Regulating mine has been much easier since then. Just keep in tune with your body and if you don't feel right get back to the doc. You learn to adapt to the fatigue and such. Definitely no doom and gloom with this disease, a lot more people than you realize have it.
  • Susie_Magoozie
    Susie_Magoozie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's. I have lowered my TPOab close to 600 points by cutting gluten, wet cow milk, soy, and taking NP thyroid. Stop the Thyroid Madness is hands down the best advice out there regarding getting our thyroid hormones "optimum" not just in range. Just in range; many feel awful, exhausted, lethargic, (kinda like mono). When thyroid hormones get optimum; we feel GREAT even with hashimoto's!!! There are people like Isabella Wentz (Hashimoto's Root Cause) who reversed hers (get TPO ab in range - no more antibodies!) So I'm working to lower my TPOab. It is a journey! There are ups and downs. The weight loss issue often has to do with the thyroid hormones being in improper ratios; even though they're in range; and as well some people have an RT3 problem which basically interferes with the availability of T3. A lot of regular endocrinologists are not up on this information; however, there are physicians who are growing in their understanding. It takes time for new information to work its way into the practices. Research, check the studies, don't believe everything you hear, and check out STTM (Stop the Thyroid Madness) and their amazing facebook group FTPO - amazing help.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and havE been diagnosed since 1991.

The problems arose before I was diagnosed.

There are longer term issues, tiredness, inability to lose weight (gaining quickly), hair loss are my main 3 side effects if I am not careful.

Know your numbers, this follows a pattern for me too, more thyroxine needed in winter, more vit D and a great diet.

Stay away from sugar completely. I recommend this wholehearted. No fake fats and add coconut oil. For dry skin use vaseline and coconut oil. Exercise even if tired, then walk.

It's doable with care.

Oh and one amazing side effect, I look 10 years younger than my age.

There are pluses, in that you take care of you.

I was also diabetic too and that has gone to normal.

I juice four times a year for 5 days and exercise like crazy.

Not at my goal weight and I do not diet.

Muscle gain is almost impossible.

No horror story here