Nutrition Plans and Recipes

Options
bruhaha007
bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Feel free to share your nutrition plans and recipes with other members of the 16 week challenge on this thread

Replies

• judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe Crock Pot Chicken Taco Bowl
    1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast
    1 16oz jar salsa
    1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    6oz (about 3/4 cup) reduced fat Mexican cheese, shredded
    3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    1 cup brown rice, uncooked
    1 avocado, cut into 12 slices
    1 small red onion, diced
    2 tomatoes, finely diced
    Juice of 1 lime
    Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Place chicken breasts, beans, and entire jar of salsa into crock pot. Cook on low for 6-7hours.
    2. Cook rice according to package directions, and set aside.
    3. In a small bowl, by combine tomatoes, onions, lime juice and salt & pepper.
    4. Assemble taco bowls with 2 tbsp. of the cheese. Place each bowl individually in the microwave and heat for about 1 minute to melt cheese.
    5. Now top with some of the tomatoe and onion mixture, 2tbsp sour cream, 2 avocado slices, and some fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.

Calories 391 Fat: 12 Protein: 29 carb:40 6 servings
  • Barbb1557
    Barbb1557 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This looks great. I really need to start cooking meals and stop buying frozen dinners. I find it really challenging to cook for 1.
  • JourneyMan1976
    JourneyMan1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah stay away from frozen food, it's hard but so much healthier
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Judy - this sounds delicious and a good alternative to my Taco Tuesday nemesis here at work!
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    I typically shop the outside aisles of the store. I will post my meal plan in the next day or two, still working on refining it a bit more.
  • freedsheila
    freedsheila Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been having a 1/2 cup of a healthy smoothie before dinner which has helped me stay away from desiring a second helping. I use pineapple, banana, kale, vanilla yogurt and a little almond milk.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    I posted this as a response to a question in the exercise section because it hit on both exercise and nutrition. I will post my response here as well.

I don't really pay attention to how many calories I've burnt exercising nor do I eat more if I exercised more that day. I set a goal for my macro nutrients (protein, carbs, fat) based on my current plan. For instance right now my goal is 1.5g of protein per lb body weight, 1.5g of carbs per lb body weight, and .5 g of fat per lb body weight. The tracking on here makes that fairly easy to monitor and than you can adjust accordingly. Throughout the 16 weeks I will lower that carb count to closer to 1g per lb or possibly even lower to speed up fat burning.
  • Sixlees
    Sixlees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Barbb1557 wrote: »
    This looks great. I really need to start cooking meals and stop buying frozen dinners. I find it really challenging to cook for 1.

Barb, while I don't cook for one I do make meals for my neighbor lady across the street when I cook. I do a once a month cooking day (as that is how we get paid and it really helps our budget) I use a book "don't worry dinners in the freezer" I make us dinners for the month and freeze them. I pull some out and freeze single portions for my neighbor. My daughter in law is gluten free so I also make the meals separately for her. You could do something like this and freeze using the mini foil loaf pans. Then you have the convenience of freezer meals and the health of homemade .
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    My diet diary is open. Somebody commented on how much protein I am taking and I am sure it seems excessive and unless you are really pushing yourself hard in the gym I would agree 1.5g per lb is too much and unnecessary. However, 1.2-1.5 is a good target if you are strength training and looking to maximize muscle growth. Muscle helps burn fat throughout the day which is why I am a big proponent of strength training.
  • JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I posted this in my status but thought I would share and get input from you guys here as well.

Losing weight in the short term is relatively easy. There are all kinds of crazy and extreme methods. However, as I have learned the hard way, if you don't enjoy the process and lose the weight in a manner that is sutainable, you will most likely rebound. I would like to know some of your tips and tricks for making weight loss as enjoyable (even easy) as possible. Here are "tricks" that work for me:
    • Intermittent Fasting (IF). I rarely eat breakfast.
    • Huge salads. Focus on veggies and protein. Not cheese, croutons, heavy dressings, etc. So filling for almost no calories.
    • Don't drink calories.
    • Do drink black coffee, diet soda, carbonated waters. They really curb hunger.
    • Don't completely cut out foods you love. Just sets most people up for a binge.
    • Refeed days. A strategic day or 2 of the week to consume more calories.

Hit me with your tricks!
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    JeffFit70 wrote: »
    I posted this in my status but thought I would share and get input from you guys here as well.

Losing weight in the short term is relatively easy. There are all kinds of crazy and extreme methods. However, as I have learned the hard way, if you don't enjoy the process and lose the weight in a manner that is sutainable, you will most likely rebound. I would like to know some of your tips and tricks for making weight loss as enjoyable (even easy) as possible. Here are "tricks" that work for me:
    • Intermittent Fasting (IF). I rarely eat breakfast.
    • Huge salads. Focus on veggies and protein. Not cheese, croutons, heavy dressings, etc. So filling for almost no calories.
    • Don't drink calories.
    • Do drink black coffee, diet soda, carbonated waters. They really curb hunger.
    • Don't completely cut out foods you love. Just sets most people up for a binge.
    • Refeed days. A strategic day or 2 of the week to consume more calories.

Hit me with your tricks!

Thanks for posting your tips @JeffFit70

I also IF and drink coffee in the morning (usually IF 3-4 days per month between 24 and 48 hours each session)

I find following a program of some sort both for nutrition and exercise help me for the consistency aspect and I like programs back by scientific studies for validation

I also find that it help's for me to exercise religiously to help me stay focused on eating well

Cheat days and/or cheat meals/treats I agree are important for me so I don't feel like I am completely depriving myself

Finally, I am careful what I buy and keep in my house. The more junk food around the more I could be tempted. The less I eat of it the less I find I desire it as well and it just doesn't taste as good to me as it used to.
  • Healthy4me4ever
    Healthy4me4ever Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    @JeffFit70 thanks for the list. I may give IF a go, I often force myself to have breakfast because we are told we should have it but maybe missing it a few times won't hurt me. I only drink water so not drinking calories works for me, although I do make sure I drink soya milk to get calcium.

Only thing I really disagree with is not cutting out foods. I have cut out high sugar foods because when I eat a little I binge on it, cutting it out stops my cravings and I feel better for it. I appreciate that doesn't work for everyone though. Because I'm dairy and gluten free (terrible gut issues with these and a few other foods) and my children aren't it fairly easy for me to just not have 'bad' food in the house.
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only 'trick' I have is using my juicer. If I start to falter on nutrition, I will use my juicer first thing in the morning a few times a week. A fresh kale-spinach-cucumber-turmeric juice resets my taste buds to crave more healthy stuff. Plus it gives me the energy to do what I want to do!
  • SouleGirl802
    SouleGirl802 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been having a 1/2 cup of a healthy smoothie before dinner which has helped me stay away from desiring a second helping. I use pineapple, banana, kale, vanilla yogurt and a little almond milk.
    This sounds delicious!
  • Sixlees
    Options
    I have found that if I eat cereal, cold or hot , for breakfast I seem to be hungry all day. It does not matter what I eat for the rest of the day, my tummy complains to me and begs for food. If I eat eggs instead with some canadian bacon I feel satisfied until lunch and later. Don't know why... and don't know if it is bad to eat eggs everday?
  • bruhaha007
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Protein satiates hunger better than carbs. You can eat two or three eggs a day including the yolks, so enjoy them everyday! I do :)
  • bruhaha007
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Sixlees
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Protein satiates hunger better than carbs. You can eat two or three eggs a day including the yolks, so enjoy them everyday! I do :)

Thanks for that feedback, it is helping... it helps that I love eggs for breakfast also :)
  • w8ingforthesun
    w8ingforthesun Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Are more than 3 bad? Well..if you're watching cholesterol...but otherwise?
    I just haven't heard and was wondering why you said only 3 eggs a day
  • bruhaha007
    Options

Are more than 3 bad? Well..if you're watching cholesterol...but otherwise?
    I just haven't heard and was wondering why you said only 3 eggs a day

I wouldn't eat more than three yolks per day due to cholesterol concerns but you can eat as many egg whites as you'd like in a given day. The yolks contain protein and good cholesterol so it's actually good to have two to three per day.