Any experience with Gallbladder surgery?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
I had one gallbladder attack and it was a doozy. I ended up in the hospital and on my 3day there they decided to do surgery. The whole time I was hospitalized my liver enzymes were greatly elevated, this after having completely normal liver enzymes in May 2015. Within days of being discharged after my surgery I started having "attacks" again, obviously not gallbladder attacks, but pretty darn painful. The pain is directly under my breast bone. At first they were only happening at night, but now I am getting them during the day as well.

I went to a GI doctor for this and had an Endoscopy done which was normal. An u/s of my liver showed Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. I'm also diagnosed as Non-Celiac Gluten intolerance. Tests for Celia, AutoImmune Hepatitis, and Hepatitis (other varieties) have come back normal. The only constant has been my elevated liver enzymes. The doctor opined that my "attacks" are related to my Acid Reflux. I tried telling him that I've had Acid Reflux for 20 years but have never had pain like this and he brushed it off. I take Nexium every morning and Prevacid every night and nothing is better. I think that I'm going to see about getting a second opinion, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has been through anything similar.

Thanks.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Not quite the same, but there was a time several years ago when I had gall bladder flares every other month. While having flare-ups, my liver tests would come back wonky. I was misdiagnosed with hepatitis based on ALT/AST results from blood taken during a flare-up.

I never had gall bladder surgery, though. I had an ultrasound that showed no stones, but enough "sludge" that it was causing the same issues as stones do. I tried a "cleanse" I found online, which started by fasting several hours and then alternating drinking olive oil and lemon juice every 15 minutes for 4 hours. The idea was the oil provided lubricant and the acidic juice broke down stones/sludge. I only got a couple hours into it before I could no longer stand drinking a glass of olive oil. But it was enough to work because I've had no flares since then.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I was told when I had mine out that I would have "phantom gall bladder attacks" possibly forever. Which I did a couple times a year even 23 years later. UNTIL, I started Keto. I haven't had one in over a year.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry :(
    my husband had his gallbladder out about 19 years ago and never had another issue.
    i hope you get well soon.
    :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in 2000 and it was the worst mistake I ever made... I don't recommend it. My gallstones I felt in my back, not under my breast bone, but @auntstephie321 might be able to chime in about having weird acid reactions of stuff...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have had a gastritis attacks that feel like I'm dying and are similar to my old gallbladder attacks....but that should've shown on an endoscopy.

Celiac disease can elevate your liver enzymes and considering you have a ton of small intestines and they only biopsy a couple of areas it could be missed. Are you 100% gluten free?

If the pain gets very severe go to the ER. My husband has non alcoholic fatty liver and a few years after his gallbladder was removed he ended up with a blocked bile duct which caused pancreatitis and needs stents put in. The pain was terrible!

I hope you find some answers soon!
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Slippery elm root for the acid reflex? It's really works for me.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    After my gallbladder surgery in 2012, I still had pain issues. GI doctor did an ERCP, that checked for a blockage in the common bile duct that opens into the upper small intestine. Gallstones can block the tube. Mine had pieces of stones and what they called "sludge" in it. They did make the opening a bit larger to facilitate drainage through the tube. (The tube still functions to bring digestive enzymes from the pancreas to the small intestine) I finally improved after that. It's not uncommon to have a retained stone that can cause issues later. You need another opinion to be safe. Being blown off by any physician is my sign to fire them, and find me one who will listen!

Signs of acid reflux would have been seen on an endoscopy! Do not take any PPI (Proton pump inhibitors, such as nexium, prilosec, Protonix) since your scope was normal I don't see a need for these terribly harmful medications! If you believe acid reflux to be a true issue for you drink some Apple cider vinegar, diluted in water, and see if you improve. This has helped me tremendously, but I had true diagnosed GERD, for years! Doesn't hurt to try it, and a couple of tbsps, in 12 ounces of water doesn't taste bad.

Best of luck in getting treated properly, and feeling better!