Beer

Options
I miss beer. Nothing like a cold frosty one after running a race, or while grilling. We have had some unseasonably warm weather here in New England, and it's making really crave one.

Do any of you drink beer? How does it fit into your carb counts?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I will drink the low carb beer once in a while. summer is the hardest time for me too. I found that my stomach can no longer handle regular beer. times when I do have one with dinner I always regret it very quickly. The low carb Michelob ultra doesn't seem to bother me though, but it also doesn't taste like anything so
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I miss pie sometimes. And bread.

Beer is simply liquid bread.

There are lower carb substitutes.

But it's in the rear view mirror for me because I want to LIVE.

YMMV
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Beer is my weakness. I indulge once in a while and I make it a good one and really enjoy the heck out of it.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Beer generally hurts my belly, so I don't miss it much. From time to time, though, I could see me wanting one. Perhaps in the summer time. We have a beer fest in our town every September that I like. You can sample a bunch of them...I doubt I'll do it, though. It hurt my belly prior to LCHF, so I can only imagine the agony it would cause at this point. Wine. Vodka. Win.
  • anthophora
    anthophora Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yes- beer. I used to have 1-2 on Friday/Saturday (never during the work week though). I am stopping that until I can drop a good amount of weight (10-15 lbs). But it is not something I will give up completely. There are so many wonderful local beers brewed by creative folks. Giving these up permanently would be a serious decline in quality of life!
  • skippieone
    skippieone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Guinness. I know I'll likely take some flak, but it's a lowER carb option and it tastes like beer versus whatever it is that Michelob Lite tastes like. (Mind you I am not an extreme low carber and I like beer. Could be the Irish/Scot in me.)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I looooove beer and must occasionally indulge in a rich delicious beer of red ale, stout or porter origin, ideally craft. If I pre-plan for that decadence in my mouth, I'll try to go carnivore for the day. Yes, I like Guinness too and it is readily available at all the local outlets! The low-carb beers just aren't worth it for me because I don't like them, so I derive no pleasure from it. If I want a light drink, I'll do vodka with a diet soda.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Alcohol halts fat burning, and implements fat storage for 48-72 hours after consumption. Does'nt fit real well with the goal of Keto, which is to burn fat.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting it out completely for now. Saving money anyway. I like American bourbon and Scottish gin but rarely get the opportunity to drink hard liquor.

But once I am at goal, I am considering changing to a program that includes planned carb "refeeds" although I wouldn't want the bulk of those carbs to be from beer.

I don't see the appeal of "light beer." I've never had one, actually. Pacific NW regional IPAs and aged darks!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Giving up beer was at the same time both easy and really hard. I've always been a beer drinker and love rich, bitter IPAs. However, prior to going LC I was experiencing a lot of acid reflux due to my weight and poor diet. As a result I had started cutting back on the beers I truly loved and switched to Guinness, which I don't actually like (Don't hate me) but drank because it was light and low carbonation. So, when I decided to change my woe it wasn't too hard to quit beer totally. What I now find hardest about having stopped drinking beer are the social elements. It's not easy to go fishing with the guys and start making vodka sodas for myself when everyone else is just hauling can after can out of a convenient cooler.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    anthophora wrote: »
    Yes- beer. I used to have 1-2 on Friday/Saturday (never during the work week though). I am stopping that until I can drop a good amount of weight (10-15 lbs). But it is not something I will give up completely. There are so many wonderful local beers brewed by creative folks. Giving these up permanently would be a serious decline in quality of life!

Now THAT sounds like a plan. Extrapolating.... once your in the kind of shape you'd like to be in, would you add back small amounts at a time until you don't feel deprived (but you're still basically sticking to your plan)?

That's sort of what I'm thinking ..... I am hoping that I when I hit an ok equilibrium, I can get away with going to each of the small breweries in my area a couple times a month and get 2 oz. samples of whatever rotating taps are new and one or two of my favorites on permanent tap. 4 of those, 8 oz, would be about 10-15 carb-grams of the sorts of beer I would normally order.

If I were to avoid binging on Snickers...and almost all other carbs... during the day, I reckon I should be able to squeeze in 8 oz a couple times a week and live to tell about it.

(I haven't found the right formula to accommodate 3 pints yet, but I'm on the lookout.)
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I miss beer like I miss my 46 waist fat pants