Had a colonoscopy today...what the doctor said.

Options
2»

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Stupid doctor. I have mine in July (low waiting list where I live) but I'll be quiet about my diet and my health. Honestly it's none of their business anyhow...right!!??!!
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @PleasantDisarray Thanks for this perspective! I forget sometimes when speaking with docs that they have to recommend what works for the general population- not me specifically. Not to mention, the EMR requires you all to ensure you've done your required patient education so you can check in all those boxes on the computer! ;)
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There is a book out there called "The Fiber Menace" by Dr. Konstantin Monastyrsky. Just in case you want to really give your doc something to think about.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    Clean as a whistle. 64 ounces of Gatorade mixed with 238g of Miralax, and 2 Dulcolax pills will do that. Plus I probably drank 24 ounces of unsweetened tea.

I wasn't allowed to have either tea or coffee. lucky! :wink:

Well, I was told no cream, and no purple or red Gatorade, if that makes you feel better. ;)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Clean as a whistle. 64 ounces of Gatorade mixed with 238g of Miralax, and 2 Dulcolax pills will do that. Plus I probably drank 24 ounces of unsweetened tea.

I wasn't allowed to have either tea or coffee. lucky! :wink:

Well, I was told no cream, and no purple or red Gatorade, if that makes you feel better. ;)

I was told no solids and nothing with any color. for two days
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    There is a book out there called "The Fiber Menace" by Dr. Konstantin Monastyrsky. Just in case you want to really give your doc something to think about.

thanks for posting that. I have heard this argument mentioned before, and I guess there may be a legit argument against grain-based fibers. There is so much research that grains cause problems for so many people, I will keep an open mind, but dang... it does seems odd advice. I may read that book, just to get the reasoning behind it. After everything I have learned this last year on nutrition, I know that not everything I learned 40 years ago about nutrition still holds true. But no book will convince me to give up fresh veggies. Not gonna happen. :wink:
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Nope. When my heirloom tomatoes ripen, I sill have a few slices a day.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, when I was doing South Beach, the proctologist told me after a coloscopy that the diet was bad for my colon and I needed to eat a lot of bran. So I did and gained about 25 pounds. What an idiot.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    . After everything I have learned this last year on nutrition, I know that not everything I learned 40 years ago about nutrition still holds true. But no book will convince me to give up fresh veggies. Not gonna happen. :wink:

I heard an interview with Dr. Monastyrsky on the Ben Greenfield podcast. Interesting stuff. I actually buy his argument - our digestive tract is closer to the ones of carnivores than herbivores. However, the Doc makes it a point that the amounts of fiber he finds to be dangerous are kind of hard to consume if you eat just vegetables, and his book is geared for people with digestive tract problems, not the general population. After listening to him I didn't decide to give up my veggies, but I did decide to be more sparing with psyllium husks, konjac noodles, etc, and not bother with out-of-the-bottle probiotics.