First trimester exhaustion *rant I guess!*

Options
fit_mama30
fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
Hi ladies,

I'm pregnant with my second child. My son is 7 months old and I'm still on maternity leave until March 21st. During my first pregnancy, I didn't go to the gym once in 7-8 weeks because I was too tired. I thought I could push through it this time, especially since I am at home and should be less tired I guess, but I'm so exhausted already! And I'm only 5 weeks along. I went to the gym last sunday, and one afternoon this week but otherwise all I did was walk.

I can't help but feeling a little guilty for not doing much. I'm just so tired... anyone else feels the same? I know it will get back to normal in a few weeks (hopefully), but wow, I have no energy and if I could go to bed at 7pm, I would. There is no way I have the energy to go though a Zumba class at the moment :(

Just a rant I guess! Anyone else feels the same? Oh and feel free to add my as a friend, I need more pregnant friends on MFP! :)

Replies

• EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have been lucky and never got any morning sickness but in return I get extremely tired in first trimester (this is my 4th baby). I am working from home so I ended up waking up late, having breakfast and then going back for a nap for a few weeks (I had a cold too so that didn't help). I found it worst between weeks 9-13, but I guess that differs - but since I am a few weeks ahead of you I thought I'd share my experience in case it helps.

Even if you are not working ATM, you are looking after a 7 month old which is definitely work (albeit a different kind) so don't beat yourself up about being tired. Take baby out for walks and leave the gym for a bit.

I have been doing bits on my exercise bike at home as I find that easier to find the energy/motivation for than going to the gym. I tell myself that I will just do 10 min, and some days that is all I can manage and other days I get to 40 before I have had enough. I often start yawning whilst I am doing it though (partly because of pregnancy and partly because I normally do it late at night, just before bed so it is often midnight or 1am when I am doing it)

• fit_mama30
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :) You're right that it is work handling my 7 months old, especially since he's very, very active.

I will try what you suggested, 10 minutes at a time, and maybe do 10 minutes 2-3x a day (if I can manage). I have a treadmill at home so I can do some incline walking if it's raining/snowing outside. I also have a couple of dumbbells/TRX training... and plenty of DVDs. For some reason, I feel bad if I don't go to the gym. I need to work on that feeling!
  • EmmaDetermined
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! You are doing what you can to stay active so that's great - even if it is at home. I have just had my gym membership frozen for 6 months as I was too busy to go often enough to warrant spending the money on it, and I actually managed to do more exercise from home (little and often) than the gym sessions I used to do!
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh my!

This is me right now!

I feel soo exhausted, and I have a 5 and 3 year old, and. Just. So. tired.

I do about 10-12 thousand steps during weekdays, and usually I would strength train several times during the week. I am currently managing once or twice!

How are you getting on now?
  • fit_mama30
    Options
    Well 2 months later I'm doing amazing :) I have great strength training workouts 3-4x a week, do cardio another 3-4x and I also walk daily. I feel great, I have way more energy. But I'm going back to work next week and might decrease the workouts a bit, because I will want to spend time with my son when I come home... But I want to keep my 3 weight lifting workouts and at least 1-2x cardio sessions + walking.
  • EmmaDetermined
    Options
    Meanwhile, I have hit third trimester and the tiredness has returned. Naps seem to feature daily, and between painful pelvis and lots of round ligament pain I have to be careful with how much I walk. It takes me 5 minutes just to stand up, and even my 7 year old son was asking me what was wrong as I was leaning on the car door for so long before I could walk when we got home tonight. I am still trying to do some cycling a few times a week though.

Enjoy the second trimester whilst it lasts!!!
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    fit_mama30 wrote: »
    Well 2 months later I'm doing amazing :) I have great strength training workouts 3-4x a week, do cardio another 3-4x and I also walk daily. I feel great, I have way more energy. But I'm going back to work next week and might decrease the workouts a bit, because I will want to spend time with my son when I come home... But I want to keep my 3 weight lifting workouts and at least 1-2x cardio sessions + walking.

That sounds blooming amazing! ;)
    Did you change your workouts much after you became pregnant?
    Meanwhile, I have hit third trimester and the tiredness has returned. Naps seem to feature daily, and between painful pelvis and lots of round ligament pain I have to be careful with how much I walk. It takes me 5 minutes just to stand up, and even my 7 year old son was asking me what was wrong as I was leaning on the car door for so long before I could walk when we got home tonight. I am still trying to do some cycling a few times a week though.

Enjoy the second trimester whilst it lasts!!!

Ohh goodness, have you seen anyone for the pain?
  • EmmaDetermined
    Options
    Hi Curly, yes, I mentioned it to the midwife, but apparently it is just one of those things that gets worse and worse with each pregnancy so being on number 4 I just have to grin it and bear it. I am going to see a physio about my pelvic girdle pain though.