How many calories are you eating now?

Options
DizsJourney
DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
Hi everyone,

I had vsg on 12/20/12. SW 325, LW 195, CW 246. As you can see, I fell back into old habits and Im dealing with that now. Down 6 lbs so far. :smile:

My question is, how far out from surgery are you & how many calories a day do you generally eat?

I know everyone is different, but Ive been a bit removed from the wls community & just trying to get an idea. Met with a nutritionist recently, due to high blood pressure, and was put on an 1800 cal meal plan. When i was eating crap, i could easily blow through that amount in one meal. Now that im making better choices, im struggling to reach 1800. So just wanted to check in with everyone else.

I apologize if this question has been asked recently. I searched & scrolled back a few pages and didnt see anything.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, 5'5" and maintaining at between 1350-1400 .
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    dlmciver wrote: »
    I'm 60, 5'5" and maintaining at between 1350-1400 .

Thanks for responding. :)
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    Options
    317# Feb'13
    277# Jun'13 @ VSG surgery
    137# Mar'15
    167# Sep'15 - saw the creep and started fighting
    159# Now
    Want to lose 15# - 1#/month is good
    Eating 1200-1600 calories - 5'9" 63yo
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    317# Feb'13
    277# Jun'13 @ VSG surgery
    137# Mar'15
    167# Sep'15 - saw the creep and started fighting
    159# Now
    Want to lose 15# - 1#/month is good
    Eating 1200-1600 calories - 5'9" 63yo

Thanks for the info! Nice job on the loss since September. :)
  • TryingTeresa
    TryingTeresa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm going to try and eat around 1500 calories. I say try because I am starting over TODAY! Sleeved May 2013, SW was 360, LW 172, CW 204 - I am stopping these bad habits NOW!! So today I have a meal plan written out and its around 1500 calories, but more importantly I am tracking my macros this time: protein (40 %), carbs (35%) and fats (25%). Its easy to track your macros on the app - for some reason I can't find it on the website.
    Good luck, keep us posted! We can do this!
    Teresa
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sw 390 vsg 9/28/15 cw 289 i dont count my calories religiously but i try stay around 1200 to 1500 and i exercise 5 to 6 x a week for 30 to 45 min
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    Hi
    I'm going to try and eat around 1500 calories. I say try because I am starting over TODAY! Sleeved May 2013, SW was 360, LW 172, CW 204 - I am stopping these bad habits NOW!! So today I have a meal plan written out and its around 1500 calories, but more importantly I am tracking my macros this time: protein (40 %), carbs (35%) and fats (25%). Its easy to track your macros on the app - for some reason I can't find it on the website.
    Good luck, keep us posted! We can do this!
    Teresa

You can do it Teresa!!! What an awesome loss youve had, even with the regain (which i know all too well, lol). I figured I'd set mfp at 1800 cals like the nutritionist wanted, so that when I see her again on the 29th she sees Ive taken her suggestions seriously. But mentally, i think im ending up around 1300 cals, max 1500.
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    Sw 390 vsg 9/28/15 cw 289 i dont count my calories religiously but i try stay around 1200 to 1500 and i exercise 5 to 6 x a week for 30 to 45 min

Thats awesome Andrew! 101 lbs lost, congrats! :smile: keeping up with the exercise is hard for me. I tend to go 200% and burn myself out, so this time I'm tyring to be mindful of that. I have a 10 min yoga dvd for relaxation & flexibility that i aim to do every morning & night. Im also trying to walk briskly at least 30 mins 5 days per week. Last weekend I did 3 - 10 min workouts (back to back) of kickboxing & a total body sculpt, since i didnt walk. I really love these '10 min solutions' dvd series. It allows me to do as little as 10 mins or as much as 50 mins & still get a nice workout. Keep up the great work! :smiley:
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I eat between 700-800 calories a day. VSG 3/4/14 SW 230lbs, CW 131.8. I struggle to eat every day, so I eat every 2 hours. My surgeon says that's ok but that I should be eating more calories.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am not counting cals right now, but when I was, I was around 1600-1800 and was losing a little and/or maintaining pretty well.
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    Hi,
    I eat between 700-800 calories a day. VSG 3/4/14 SW 230lbs, CW 131.8. I struggle to eat every day, so I eat every 2 hours. My surgeon says that's ok but that I should be eating more calories.

Hi Stephanie, thanks for sharing that with me. Im the opposite, emotional eater who binges. But i guess in a sense, were both struggling to find some balance. :wink:
  • DizsJourney
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I am not counting cals right now, but when I was, I was around 1600-1800 and was losing a little and/or maintaining pretty well.

Hi Thaeda, thanks for responding. Thats what i was thinking. 1800 seemed more like what I should be eating to maintain, not for losing. I know everyone is different, so I'll figure it out eventually, but everyones responses have really helped. :smiley:
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How close to your goal weight did your dr increase you calories?
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 months post op,and have been at goal for one year now. I eat 1500-1900 calories per day.
    I'm fairly active, but don't always exercise everyday. The days I do exercise I feel awesome no matter how much I eat. The days I don't, I feel yucky, and I feel like i'm struggling.

Tweety, my dr never changed my calories. I see a dietician, and she has always been happy with my progress. My calories just slowly went up the further I was from surgery.
  • tweety4bonnie4
    tweety4bonnie4 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh ok. I also see a dietitian at my surgeons office and I think she may adjust my diet but not sure. I see the surgeon and dietitian on March 29th. I will have to see what they do when I see them. I hope your doing well. Take care and I wish you all the best.
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The creep was creeping higher and higher at 1800!! I've taken myself down to 1200, though I haven't met that goal yet. My creep came as a result of not logging my food and snacking on carbs all day. Still trying to STOP the carb snacking. Being British, I use tea time as an excuse to have a carbo snack. Guess we are all appreciating what alumni told us....the surgery was just a tool, not a solution. Though the downride was amazing, wondrous, and encouraging...when recovery is complete, sneaky old habits that want us back start trying to derail us. I'm here as a support for anyone that asks.
  • EmeryRuin
    EmeryRuin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HW 250 lbs
    CW 166 lbs (also low weight)

I'm 15 months out (12/17/2014). I have my calorie goal set at 1500 calories/day. Some days it's lower and every once in a while it's higher. I still aim for >60 gms of protein a day, <100 gms of carbs a day, etc. (all the things my surgeon told me). I have not banned any foods, just eat in moderation, knowing that my average calories in a week must be 1500/day. I'm still losing, but it's really slow, about a lb/month. My goal is to lose 16 more lbs, but if I don't I'm okay with my size now and I'm okay with my eating plan. I feel really confident that I can keep this up for the rest of my life (as long as I continue to log my food in every day in MFP to keep me accountable). I haven't done so well on the workout front. That's been hit or miss for me. Right now I'm at 1 or 2 times a week for the gym and trying to stay active everyday around the house.

Good luck with your journey!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    about 1400-1500 per day. i'm about 1.5 years out and put on 15 lbs recently. i joined weight watchers and i like it. 32 points works out to about 1400-1500 calories per day.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm almost a year out, 60 years old, 5'5" and maintaining in my target range of 130-134 at 1450 calories per day.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged lately but when I did I was usually 2300-3000 per day. I'm at the "ideal" weight my surgeon recommended and all my labs are good. 14 months since surgery.