Emotional eating strategies - need some buddies

Options
OK - it's just got to stop! I don't know what has happened to my willpower in the past 3 months, but it's gone. (And my pants are too tight!)

I"m looking for some buddies to check in with on a regular basis. Some who might be in the same place as me.

I'm going to start a post each evening with the title Emotional eating strategies, feel free to stop in for some mutual support.

Here's what's been going on with me......

I spend more time by myself than I want. My kids are off at college and my husband has a long commute. When I'm all alone in the house - especially if I'm feeling a little stressed (which seems to be most of the time now) I EAT. When hubby is home, he needs a little space down in his basement mancave, which makes me feel lonely even when I'm not alone. So, I EAT.

When I'm feeling sad, grumpy or anxious, I EAT. (Maybe changing hormones are contributing to my emotional instability?)

But, I've got to pull it together. I don't want diabetes and I do want to be healthy overall.

Tomorrow, I am going to:
Plan my food for the week - including the snacks.
Get my 10,000 steps
Log my food into MFP
Write in the pretty journal my daughter gave me for Christmas
Check back in here.

Wish me luck!

Jeanette

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That is a good plan for tomorrow and thereafter. :)
    Yoga breathing helps with mindfulness
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd94Gh4lKOA&index=1&list=PLhiNtEBsgk1SKo-3NnmoWMeu_BkRS_kgw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxbdx-SeOOo&index=5&list=PLhiNtEBsgk1SKo-3NnmoWMeu_BkRS_kgw

I am not really in a good place but yoga has saved my life a few times and I think it can again.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like your plan I think you should do it for a while. You raised college students, your plan should be a breeze. Character can be built when a person is alone. You are not alone, you are in a position of opportunity.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    170c68ea84c8a7fdf4d3128266b35551.jpg
  • mccoyt85
    mccoyt85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have never thought of myself as an emotional eater. I really don't care about food. For me I escape my emotions with sleep. However, this past week I received some heartbreaking news of a dear loved one who is dying from cancer. After the initial shock and panic had run through me, I found myself in the Little Debbie aisle. Zebra cakes it is. The next afternoon I found myself in the bakery aisle...cinnamon rolls for that day. Last night I was at a social function, intending to behave, and someone arrived with the best Apple fritters. I tried to resist but they kept calling my name. What I have learned from my short time on this journey is how often we eat unconsciously. We don't really think about what we put in or how we are nourishing our bodies. Logging every morsel has been such an eye opening experience. I am able to see my patterns as well as my choices. Did I fail in my goal to make better choices this weekend? Yes and no. I learned I do turn to food when emotionally spent. Personally for me any failure that teaches a lesson becomes a success.
    Jeanette I will be more than happy to be a buddy to offer support. Add me if you want or I'll see you here.
    Good Luck to all,
    Tory
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lots of hugs, Tory. <3
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I got fat by eating-when I was tired, bored, anxious, happy, sad- you get the picture. The worst is when I am stressed. My mom died about 6 months ago and I have to handle estate, my sister has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and her children are not taking care of her as they should. At the point of my mom's death, I had been at goal for three years, I have now gained 10 pounds and can't get it off because I binge at night. I know I am doing it and do it anyway. My best strategy has been hot tea, walking around my deck and eating high protein snack. Sadly sometimes I do all that and still hit the cookie jar. I have another friend in the same boat and we commiserate by message almost every night. That has helped the most, because we have to report what we have eaten to each other. You have a good idea putting it "out there". It helps to know you are not alone.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    There is not an emotion that doesn't make me want to eat. Happy, sad, bored, it doesn't matter. Loneliness is a tough one. Sounds like you have a bad case of empty nest syndrome as well. I don't know what your daily schedule is but I found that during times of depression it helped immeasurably to do some volunteer work. It really gets you out of yourself, brightens you up, does good for others and, if you pick something that keeps you busy, keeps you from eating. Just an idea.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with volunteerism. There are so many opportunities to use your talents and interests with groups that would love to have you. No point in giving hubby a space to unwind and then sitting alone. If you have new interests, you will have new things to share when he comes up for air. Assess your interests....what is your passion? Or what would you like to explore that you never had time to do before?
    How did you goal setting go last week?
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Jeanette, I'm a life-long emotional eater and this is something I struggle with as well. I'm trying to substitute and do exercise instead of eating when I'm stressed. I'm having some success, but I know I need to do better. Good luck to you. Doug in Akron
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    I agree with volunteerism. There are so many opportunities to use your talents and interests with groups that would love to have you. No point in giving hubby a space to unwind and then sitting alone. If you have new interests, you will have new things to share when he comes up for air. Assess your interests....what is your passion? Or what would you like to explore that you never had time to do before?
    How did you goal setting go last week?

Hmm. That is a really good idea. Maybe I should volunteer in the evening for something bc I can't stay home and eat in the evening OR I could practice using the new features of MS WORD, EXCEL, & POWERPOINT. That will be important for any new prospective employment.

• AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Quote:

"...I spend more time by myself than I want. My kids are off at college and my husband has a long commute. When I'm all alone in the house - especially if I'm feeling a little stressed (which seems to be most of the time now) I EAT. When hubby is home, he needs a little space down in his basement mancave, which makes me feel lonely even when I'm not alone. So, I EAT.

When I'm feeling sad, grumpy or anxious, I EAT..."

And no wonder, if you feel so alone. I really feel for you. This is the plight of so many women, who I think have been conditioned to expect everything from a partner in life, particularly after the kids have left home. You need to develop a life of your own, enjoy yourself, go out more. What a wonderful stage in your (/our) lives to develop the interests that YOU have.

I wouldn't focus solely on losing weight, since it's got to be part of a larger plan to get to grips with your own life. You'll probably find the stimulus of other activities and/or other people's company energising and distracting and it might even give you the confidence to deal with your marital relationship.

Psychologists say you need 4-5 activities in your life (if you don't have paid work) to feel really engaged. Mine are currently: volunteering, art, sewing, exercise and learning a new language - most of it with other people. Go for it! You'll have a whale of a time and logging in will just be part of the fun.

PS And every time you want to snack, have a glass of water instead :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    AliceA2013 wrote: »
    Psychologists say you need 4-5 activities in your life (if you don't have paid work) to feel really engaged. Mine are currently: volunteering, art, sewing, exercise and learning a new language - most of it with other people. Go for it! You'll have a whale of a time and logging in will just be part of the fun.

that's very interesting! thank you for posting!