How low do you go on your squats?

Options
moe0303
moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
Just wondering. I usually get pretty close to bottoming out. It's just something I've always done since starting CrossFit. I remember listening to two coaches argue about whether or not I was going too low. They never reached an agreement either way, and I was in the midst of WOD death, so I didn't care. So I figured I would pose the question to the group.

Is bottoming out or getting close to it too low to go for a squat?

For me, I feel that the bottom of the squat is a natural and functional position. So if I was going to lift something from the ground, it seems that I would want to start from the most natural position and lift from there. IDK.

Replies

• sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I always bottom out when I squat. I feel like it's the only way I can truly tell that I've gotten below parallel. None of my coaches have ever reprimanded me for going too low.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm doing...

Going for 1RM then I only break parallel ie. meet power-lifting standard

Doing tempo or pause work, probably go a bit deeper to really work those legs

Air squats... all the way

Thrusters... all the way to get maximum drive up

Different variations require different depths, I feel.

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Elegra2006 wrote: »
    It depends what I'm doing...

Going for 1RM then I only break parallel ie. meet power-lifting standard

Doing tempo or pause work, probably go a bit deeper to really work those legs

Air squats... all the way

Thrusters... all the way to get maximum drive up

Different variations require different depths, I feel.

Agree with Elegra2006 on this one.
  • beccapeterson26
    beccapeterson26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not a coach or trainer but I do remember someone telling me about why you shouldn't go down all the way in squats sometimes. Depending on your range of motion you hit a sticking point at the bottom where it makes it harder to efficiently finish the rep. You should look up more info because I don't remember exactly what this coach was saying since they were talking to someone else
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    The sticking point is not at the bottom of the ATG squat. It's a little higher. But by going to the bottom, you may get more of a stretch reflex. In CF, we are training olympic squats for the purpose of carry over to the clean, not low bar/wide stance/just below parallel squats, for the most part. As long as you don't have butt wink and you're staying tight and not divebombing your descent, you're fine. Did your coach tell you have butt wink?

I am CF'er but also a competitive powerlifter. I would say that if you can go lower, do, if you ever think you might do a powerlifting comp. What you "think" is depth might not be to the judges, as breaking parallel has to err on the side of being CONVINCING.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I go very low on weighted squats to where I'm still under tension. On air squats, I just break parallel. When I do the weighted squats, if I don't want to go too deep I put a 20 pound wall ball behind me and squat until my butt just hits the ball
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have never been told I have butt wink, but I think I found a new nickname for my little brother. He's 35 but I still like to give him crap.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. I have never been told I have butt wink, but I think I found a new nickname for my little brother. He's 35 but I still like to give him crap.

hahaha - good nickname - but in in seriousness .. it's a real affliction for us buttwinkers :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I probably go lower on air squats but I'm throwing myself down to get the bounce out of the bottom to make it a bit easier. For weighted back squats I'd guess I'm right at parallel or maybe a wee bit short. Much better than I was when I started Crossfit, but still a bit of mobility work to be done.
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I bottom out most of the time, it takes me a lot of brain power to stop myself....I was told by a coach that going lower on my squats would lead to better results (eventually) on Olympic lifts.
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I usually get pretty close to bottoming out. It's just something I've always done since starting CrossFit. I remember listening to two coaches argue about whether or not I was going too low. They never reached an agreement either way, and I was in the midst of WOD death, so I didn't care. So I figured I would pose the question to the group.

For me, I feel that the bottom of the squat is a natural and functional position. So if I was going to lift something from the ground, it seems that I would want to start from the most natural position and lift from there. IDK.

• paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Coach once told me not to bottom out on back squats in particular. Go to just below parallel.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a coach and I disagree, but different strokes for different folks. You don't go just below parallel when you catch a heavy clean. The reason we do olympic squats in CF is in preparation for olympic lifting, for the most part. Otherwise if we wanted to move the most weight like in powerlifting, we'd be using low bar back squats.