Garmin vs Suunto

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I'm thinking about upgrading my Garmin 610. It's been fussy to the point of unreliable for the last couple of years, and I'm getting really tired of it. That, along with some lacking functionality have me looking at a new watch.

Garmin Connect gets the nod over Suunto's MovesCount, but Suunto reliability is better than Garmin (at least last I knew... haven't used a suunto product in probably 3 years).

If you were buying, what brand would you go with and why?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd stay with Garmin because a ) the majority of my friends are on it b ) Suunto reliability might be a bit better but I've had zero problems with Fenix 2 or 3 over the last 14 months. (updates are about monthly). c ) Garmin has all the additional bike stuff available and zero issues. d ) dcrainmaker recommendations for best gear 2015 / 2016 place the fenix 3 in a solid place.

But Suunto is a great watch.
    At the top end it doesn't matter much as the gear is pretty operational now.

so point a ) matters to me a bit. it is motivating to challenge people.

• jacksonpt
    Options
    Here's the way I see it...

Fenix 3
    It's just plain cool. And it an do and be everything. Whether it's a 12hr hike with my wife, heavy swim/bike/run training blocks, walking my dog or riding bikes with my kids, the Fenix can track it all. The look/style means it can also be a decent every day watch. Unfortunately, it's also REALLY pricey, and the hardware seems to be buggy. There appear to be FAR more user problems reported with this watch than with the other contenders.

920xt
    All the function I need, decent price, good size/appearance. Tried and true platform. If I take the emotion out of things, this is the obvious choice. Only real downside is that I'd probably never wear it for anything but training, though I suppose that's not very different from how I view my current garmin.

Ambit 3 sport
    Plenty of function (though power meter support is iffy at best, if I ever go down that road), great reliability, good price, average looks, average display. Lack of ant+ support appears to be a significant con, but it wouldn't be *that* big of a deal to buy a couple new sensors.

As I type all that out, the 920 sounds better and better. But damn the Fenix is a cool watch.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the 920xt and it's a great watch but in hindsight I wish I'd bought the fenix3, which came out right after I bought the 920. Coming from polar, the HRM run strap is great, though I miss polar's heart touch feature that lets you change screens by bringing your hand up to your chest. I wanted a true multisport watch and the 920 is that, but the looks are terrible for anything other than while you're training, and I think the fenix3 is worth the extra $50 for looks and features.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I debated the exact same thing after seeing an ad for the Ambit 3 in a tri magazine. I also compared the Fenix. In the end I went with the Garmin 920xt because of the swim metrics offered (I can't remember exactly the pros and cons now) It is ugly, I don't care, I still wear it almost every day. I got it around Christmas of 2014, trained for a HIM for the majority of 2015 and worn it pretty much every day since with no issues. I love it. I do wish it was a little more attractive though.
  • emsmom8
    emsmom8 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Is the 920 worth it when the 310 and 910 are so much cheaper right now?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    emsmom8 wrote: »
    Is the 920 worth it when the 310 and 910 are so much cheaper right now?

For me it is.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Well, I love my Fenix 3 and again, I've literally had zero problems with it. Yesterday I had to wait 5 extra sec for it to get the GPS signal (after driving 600 kms). 5 sec.

But the 920 is an excellent watch too.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Still here, still debating.

While there are a ton of user problems reported with the Fenix, if they were that pervasive, wouldn't they be pulled from the shelves or have some kind of mass recall/update? I've got the think the overwhelming majority of them work just fine.

Regardless, I was about to pull the trigger on a 920 when I noticed the watch that comes with the tri bundle is black/gray as opposed to the more obnoxious black/blue or red/white. But *gasp* $600 for that bundle. Yikes.

But since when to triathletes care about aesthetics???? I should probably get the black/blue 920 just because it IS so obnoxious.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

While there are a ton of user problems reported with the Fenix, if they were that pervasive, wouldn't they be pulled from the shelves or have some kind of mass recall/update? I've got the think the overwhelming majority of them work just fine.

Regardless, I was about to pull the trigger on a 920 when I noticed the watch that comes with the tri bundle is black/gray as opposed to the more obnoxious black/blue or red/white. But *gasp* $600 for that bundle. Yikes.

But since when to triathletes care about aesthetics???? I should probably get the black/blue 920 just because it IS so obnoxious.

Obnoxious is good.

Perhaps the Fenix3 sells more and the people using it don't have a history of this type of GPS device?

Still the top recommended by DCRainmaker (I know, call to authority).

A lot of the reported errors also seem to be user dependant - expecting excellent tracking while using ultratrack, etc...
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Obnoxious is good.

Perhaps the Fenix3 sells more and the people using it don't have a history of this type of GPS device?

Still the top recommended by DCRainmaker (I know, call to authority).

A lot of the reported errors also seem to be user dependant - expecting excellent tracking while using ultratrack, etc...

But the 920xt is still his top recommendation for a triathlete. Close call but it edges out both IIRC.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok. So now I just went back to check and that is not the case. I think I was thinking of the Garmin vs Suunato. Now I want the Fenix purely for aesthetic purposes. But that's not happening.

*shakes fist at Gene*
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ok. So now I just went back to check and that is not the case. I think I was thinking of the Garmin vs Suunato. Now I want the Fenix purely for aesthetic purposes. But that's not happening.

*shakes fist at Gene*

That's pretty much where I'm at too. The 920 is more than enough function for me, but the Fenix is cooler, better looking, and more techy/gadgetish. But if I'm going to spend $600, I'd rather spend it on a power meter. I'll be calling my local running shop today to have them order a 920.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

That's pretty much where I'm at too. The 920 is more than enough function for me, but the Fenix is cooler, better looking, and more techy/gadgetish. But if I'm going to spend $600, I'd rather spend it on a power meter. I'll be calling my local running shop today to have them order a 920.

Power meter is my next purchase. I should probably start reading.

I also realized that I bought my 920 before the Fenix 3 was released. I was comparing the Fenix 2.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    So here is a comparison yesterday between the 920xt and phenix3 - two people running next to each other for 10 km. While minor differences do appear in the path - I cannot identify which of the two is more accurate. Sometimes the 3 sometimes the 920 xt matches the map better (is the map the "truth" reference?)

Either one seems accurate enough. The difference in distance here was my friend turning his watch on and off slightly differently than I.

4dm1aock1osu.png
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

But the 3 is $499 not $600.

Yeah, I want a power meter too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Of course, choosing a power meter is a bit more complex. lol-
  • jacksonpt
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

I was looking at the sapphire glass. If I went with the Fenix it would be to wear more regularly than just for training, in which case I'd want the sapphire. I've got a bunch of watches, and the good ones definitely hold up better to regular wear and tear. IMO, it does make a difference.

Regardless, I've thought about this way more than I probably needed to already. The 920 is on it's way, hopefully arriving today, but more than likely tomorrow.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

I was looking at the sapphire glass. If I went with the Fenix it would be to wear more regularly than just for training, in which case I'd want the sapphire. I've got a bunch of watches, and the good ones definitely hold up better to regular wear and tear. IMO, it does make a difference.

Regardless, I've thought about this way more than I probably needed to already. The 920 is on it's way, hopefully arriving today, but more than likely tomorrow.

apples to pears!

I got the regular one and bought a few scratch resistant protectors - can't even see it. It's held up so far. Otherwise, yeah, I'd get the sapphire, too.

Enjoy the 920!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

apples to pears!

I got the regular one and bought a few scratch resistant protectors - can't even see it. It's held up so far. Otherwise, yeah, I'd get the sapphire, too.

Enjoy the 920!!

Similar to cell phone screen protectors? Didn't know they made such a thing, but I guess it doesn't surprise me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

*shakes fist at Gene*

apples to pears!

Enjoy the 920!!

Similar to cell phone screen protectors? Didn't know they made such a thing, but I guess it doesn't surprise me.

slightly thicker (?) since these aren't touch screen. Totally invisible: http://www.amazon.com/Shield-LiQuidSkin-6-Pack-Replacements-Self-Healing/dp/B00SXHFVA6

Think of them for the 920xt
    http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi®-MatteSkin-6-Pack-Anti-Fingerprint-Anti-Bubble/dp/B012HPAWAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459350817&sr=8-2&keywords=920xt+screen+protectors