One vs Surge vs Other Wrist Trackers

Options
stef_monster
stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
Longtime FitBit user here- got my Ultra in 2012 and upgraded to a One later. I love the FitBit app and dashboard, and have gotten so used to the feedback from wearing an activity tracker I wouldn't know what to do without one. I'm currently trying to get back into shape after some health issues, and focusing not just on training, but on overall health and healthy habit-building. With the help of my One, I got into the best shape of my life. However, circumstances change and I have different needs.

I currently wear my One clipped to the center of my bra. After some tinkering with the stride settings in my profile it's fairly accurate for running (underestimates a bit), and highly accurate on an elliptical (overestimates just a little). I have had very little success using it to track my sleep, because the wrist band's Velcro isn't strong enough to stay on all night, and the little vibrating motor isn't what it used to be. Because of where I have to wear the One to get an accurate count, I can't check my stats throughout the day without using my smartphone or desktop. Digging around in my shirt between patients at work is not really an option.

I've been lusting after the Surge for quite a while now. The bulkiness is actually a draw for me- I love chunky watches. Being able to switch to different exercises looks amazing- I love my cardio but I also lift heavy and would like some kind of feedback on it via heart rate. Having all my data right there on my wrist is exactly what I need. The built-in GPS also caught my eye because I run and walk outside often, and this would motivate me to go even more.

I do have concerns, though. I worry about the Surge underestimating my step count if, for instance, I'm walking without swinging that hand (pushing a shopping cart, talking on the phone, etc). I've also heard varying reports about its accuracy on an elliptical. I always hold onto the moving handles of the elliptical as opposed to the stationary ones, so I may not have a problem.

The other wrist tracker that caught my eye was the Garmin Vivoactive HR. Garmin also syncs to MFP, supposedly. Basically the Garmin looks like a better deal overall, but will take getting used to.

TL;DR- What are your experiences switching from a clip-on activity tracker to a wrist tracker? Any recommendations?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I switched from the One to the Charge HR over a year ago. I love it. The heart rate is reasonably accurate and reliable for me. After years of swearing I'd never want to wear a watch again, I love having the time (and all my other stats) right there to see easily. And, I'm not likely to accidentally wash my Charge HR like I did my One. ;)

You don't have to worry about whether your arm swings or not when it comes to picking up steps - Fitbit actually has to filter out the acceleration of the arm swing to detect the step. So talking on the phone, carrying things, etc. is not a problem. However, pushing a shopping cart is - your wrist moves with the handle of the cart and so doesn't feel the impact of your steps enough. I've learned to push shopping carts one handed, or (if there is room and the store isn't crowded), pull the cart by the front corner.

I don't know about ellipticals - I've never used one. I don't mind not having built in GPS on my walks. I just take my phone along. I've recently started running outside and the carrying phone is a bit more of a problem when running, if my pockets aren't secure enough to safely hold the phone, but that is a solvable problem.

If I were in the market for a new Fitbit, and decided that the size didn't bother me any more, I'm not sure if I'd go for the Surge or the Blaze, to tell you the truth. The Blaze doesn't have built in GPS, but it does have a color screen, you can change the band, and I've heard that using the GPS on the Surge is really hard on the battery.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good to know :smile:
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am actually doing some experimentation with this as I just received the Alta. I have been wearing it and zip with Bluetooth turned off so I can compare data. For instance, yesterday I went shopping with a cart and lifted weights. While there were discrepancies in the the activities I recorded all the data before and after each activity), at the end of the data the data was very similar. The Alta did have me higher on all accounts but bit a lot, about 150 steps and 50 calories. Surprising, since I also spent some time planing and sanding a table top and carrying loads of garbage to go to the dump.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I switched from a Charge to a One. My hands are in water a lot during the day, so I was constantly taking it off. Plus, wearing it all the time irritated my skin a bit. For these reasons, I'll probably always stick to a non wrist tracker. It just works better for my lifestyle.

I miss being able to easily scroll through my stats on my wrist, but my One may as well be glued to me, I wear it all day and night. Wearing a wrist style FitBit is also a surprising conversation starter. I was amazed at how many strangers commented on it/noticed my Charge.

As far as sleep tracking... I tracked sleep with my Charge (it detected sleep automatically quite well), but I found the novelty and usefulness of tracking sleep wears off with time.

Now that FitBit supports multiple devices, you can switch when needed! The new devices really are great looking, but now I know I wouldn't use it properly. :D