low carb high fat or low carb high protein?

Options
SuperSizeMeNot
SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
which one would you personally go for? why?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Neither, but it depends on the definition of "high."

Just enough protein to minimize muscle catabolism.

Just enough fat to reach satiety. More is just excess calories.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    Options
    my boyfriend wants to do low carb and we don't know what his Marcos should be. that's another reason for this post
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Weight, height, activity, and goals?

Really, it's hard to go wrong with either high protein or high fat or even both. The most important thing is low carb. :)
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    Options
    hes on his feet all day at work (8-12 hours), 6 foot. 200 pounds. goal is not to be "over weight" (lose at least 20 pounds)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Weight, height, activity, and goals?

Really, it's hard to go wrong with either high protein or high fat or even both. The most important thing is low carb. :)

Thank you so much for the bolded above - I just don't find the satiety I'm "supposed" to find on high fat, adequate protein, low carb. I routinely have very intense protein cravings but have been denying myself because of the whole idea that my body will convert the extra protein to carbs (not that I understand it really at all, I more have to just trust what I read but it gets so confusing!). It's interesting and a little relieving to see someone say high protein isn't the end of the world.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go for low carb, high protein, moderate fat.
    Except for yesterday when I finished that damn box of cheerios that's been calling my name for days. I'm glad it's gone and outta the house, never to return! Yes, cereal is my kryptonite :(
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I think it comes to .80 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass.
    <20 net carbs, and fat to make up the rest until I'm satisfied or hit my calories for the day.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think it's really personal - I'm Keto but it took me awhile to get here. Part of it is determined by goals and the other part is just personal preference. One of my trainers is an Ironwoman and did the NYC Marathon this year - she thinks I'm insane for giving up fruit.

My point is that what works for one person won't work for another - we are so unique. Track what you're doing so you have an idea of how to alter if need be. It's good to start out that way so you really know how many grams of each macro you're ingesting. Later on, you might not want to track. I do - it's how I stay honest with myself.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of low carb high protein in the past (Dukan) and now that I've done LCHF, I'm never going back! ;) It's a lot more satisfying, and it's also had other health benefits that LCHP never did (reduced joint inflammation, acid reflux and other GI issues calmed down a lot, improved mood and energy).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can not do LCHP and stay in nutritional ketosis as well so I go LCHF. The reason for LCHF is I am trying to prevent things like dementia, cancer, heart disease, etc and fat is the only food that does not bump up the risk of cancer and ketones seem to protect from dementia related to metabolic syndrome/BG over 90.

@SuperSizeMeNot as others have stated we work our way forward with different macros until we find the one that works for ourselves regardless if it makes sense for others or not. Nothing ever worked for me before I finally stopped dieting for life and just had one objective which is to learn to eat for better health. Weight loss is now a non thought process that my body manages on it on for the most part. If I get over on my +/- 10 pound range I just stop eating after like 3pm for a few days. This is one way I weigh each day. Best of success. This WOE is not a precise numbers game I finally figured out.
  • HaveToKeepMoving
    HaveToKeepMoving Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Have you tried out Keto-Calculator? http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I go for about 25 Carbs, the rest is about 65% fat and 25-30% protein at about 1600kcal, it's important to note that High Protein can knock you out of ketosis, if that's your goal, as protien is converted into glucose during gluconeogenesis. with the focus on fat you can dial the calories up or down without side effect.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Lchf for last 6 mo 75 f 20p and 5% carb 48lb and almost goal weight. I'm now moving to more of a low carb mod fat and mod protein. But I lost fast and don't think it was great doing it that way but it was what I needed to do it... I had to see the scale moving!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @ettaterrell you did well. My weight lose slowed after the first six months. I plan to stay LCHF for life because it manages my joint and muscle better than any Rx from any doctor.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I go for low carb, high protein, fat to satiety. I keep very low carb when I'm not derailed by my kryptonite (fruit) and then just try to choose the fattest protein I can find (and eat, I don't like the taste/texture of fat). Most of my meals are just protein, usually meat and/or eggs. Other than that I'll have coffee with butter or coconut oil and the occasional square of very dark chocolate.

This is very far from what I'd like to eat but it's definitely what my body prefers and since it allows me to control hunger and cravings, that's what I'll have until I reach a normal weight. Then I intend to make some experiments and see how it goes when I add more veggies (and fruit!).

::flowerforyou::
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LCHF for me. I go for ketosis to help with insulin resistance. I find protein increases my BG when it is high.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend wants to do low carb and we don't know what his Marcos should be. that's another reason for this post

Honestly? The best way is to just start and experiment a little. Start out with around 1g per pound of lean mass, a carb goal that works for you (some find going straight to 20g-50g is too daunting, but some don't; I recommend started with a cap no higher than 100g, which I've found to be sufficient to drop most grains and spur habit changes, and to get the benefits of low carb, without the challenges of deeper ketosis levels), and the rest in fat. That generally puts protein and fat grams about the same (~100g each for around 2000 calories). Do that for about a month and see where you're at from there (remember, the first couple of weeks are adaptation and withdrawal, which doesn't really count for hunger/satiety monitoring). After that, you can start experimenting with increasing fat or protein by 10-20g grams and decreasing the other accordingly (protein grams will change more than fat grams when calories are held constant).