Running and LCD

Options
60to35
60to35 Posts: 297 Member
I will start training for my 5th half marathon in a few weeks, but this will be my first time with the changes I have made in my diet. Does anyone else have any experience with this? Does your diet incorporate any more carbs for a long run? Do carbs matter a lot on runs over an hour? If your diet remained the same, did it affect your running at all-.good or bad? Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How long have you been low carb and what's your carb target?

It can have a HUGE effect on running, mostly positive.

Here's a recent study:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10338195/want-to-be-a-fat-burner-exercise/p1

And here's one of the better resources:
    http://eatingacademy.com/category/sports-and-nutrition

Personally, I like to keep my sessions under an hour, so I don't have any special fueling needs. But I also didn't need any fuel for a 3-hour bike ride. :)
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear from someone who's PERSONALLY ran a half or even a 10K race on LCHF. I've seen a similar thread to this and I want to know how someone felt during and after their long race. I've read this study/article more than once, and it's good info, but I'd like to know if anyone has personally put it to the test and how'd it go for them.

I've only run 5K's on LCHF and it has worked well...but upping the mileage makes it a different game.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've done several 8K (5 mile) runs, but the 3-hour very-hilly bike ride was the best test for me. 10K should be similarly uneventful.

There were a couple of long-distance runners who used to check in here, including one ultra runner, but they haven't been around in a while.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I have watched this video in regards to the high fat diet of an ultra runner. I don't run myself but I really admire people who do!
    http://youtu.be/96VZFklUM_Q
  • 60to35
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info and the video. It's all been very helpful and I am excited to start training and see what happens.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Maria Emmerich runs marathons and is keto, you could ask on her FB page. I sent her a PM once about running keto adapted and she replied within a few hours. She said (I was asking about training for and running a half)
    Being fully keto adapted will help, yes. I have run full Marathons in a fasted state while keto. So for that distance you wouldn't need any fuel if keto adapted.
    here's her FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ketoadapted/?fref=ts
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    mariamindbodyhealth.com/athletes-and-low-carb/

This is a good article about athletes and low carb diets, too
  • kaynagel
    kaynagel Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I started training for a half marathon 3 weeks ago (an 8 week training plan) and I started on lchf 5 weeks ago. I have been concerned with the long run. I am a pacer and need to maintain the pace for the group. lucky for me there is a nutritonist and a lchf dieter who does lchf for health reasons in my group. I have been picking their brains on nutrition and running. My first run over 7 miles with the group I took a GU as I felt I needed it to keep my pace. (i bumped up miles quickly) My plan was to practice my weekday running on water only. On my weekday running this week I will be running 8-10 miles and plan on water only. I think part of the problem is a head game, runners are told to take some nutrition during the long run and we have so many sugary products to choose from. One "expert" on You-tube said he takes raisins and a lara bar just in case he needs them but he hasnt used them. Another said a few macadamia nuts. The lchf runner in my group says that she feels better if she adds 1/2 cup of brown rice the day before her long run. At this time I am not planning to increase carbs. Last year when I was not doing the lchf diet I ran three 1/2s with only water. It seems that on lchf, I shouldnt need any nutrition during the race. I would be happy to keep you posted with my progress. The half is 4/24. Then I'm running another 1/2 the following Sunday.
  • 60to35
    Options
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply and giving me great information.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just ran a half marathon a couple weeks ago, my first on a LCD, and I actually used a larabar and had bacon and eggs before my race, (the larabar is super clean, dates and cashews, I normally eat the lemon one. It has carbs, but I figured I would burn right through them), and then I also used Generation UCAN, which is a superstarch and there has been research to show it doesn't spike your bloodsugar and can be used in conjunction with a LCD. It worked VERY well, I didn't need to take in anything but water on the course and finished very strong.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't run, personally, but you might be interested in the stats from Dr. Peter Attia. He's got a bunch of tests that he did in his first years of going low carb (and eventually keto). We was a triathlete at the time, so not out of shape by any means. It's a great illustration of the metabolic changes that happen on low carb, as they relate to athletic performance, and why keto endurance athletes can go pretty much indefinitely without hitting the wall.

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of 20:4 IF and I would always bonk trying to lift heavy after the fast. Today I took a scoop of UCAN and hour before lifting and about after 20-hrs of fasting and my lifting went really good. First time I think I've been able to do that. Too expensive though for me to use all the time. I will try it running on an empty stomach next because I often get an upset stomach when I'm pushing hard and have eaten but if I don't eat I can bonk after a long fast and after I've run about 40-min. I hope I can race a 5k hard (hard for me not you) on an empty stomach (except UCAN) and not bonk.