I'm guessing bone broth is very good for us?

Options

Replies

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's the episode I mentioned before
    In case you want to know why it's good for you and they discuss done options on how to make it.
    Podcast link.

Video link
    https://youtu.be/Pj0uHtXTWUw

Excellent video, thank you Sunny for posting. I'm going to buy the book.

Dan
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How much data do you guys have?? I only get 7GB a month, I cant afford to watch all of the videos and podcasts :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    How much data do you guys have?? I only get 7GB a month, I cant afford to watch all of the videos and podcasts :(

I'm on wifi at home and actually almost everywhere else I go.
  • Christine_72
    Options

I've never understood what wifi is. Someone still pays for the data..

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

It's not paid for by how much you use though. It's one monthly price for our home internet service then we hook up equipment to make it wireless
  • Christine_72
    Options

It's not paid for by how much you use though. It's one monthly price for our home internet service then we hook up equipment to make it wireless

Ah ok gotcha. You just explained it so much better than google :lol:

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    right, only cellular should have a data charge. not wifi.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    A first for me, for lunch today I had: oxtail bone broth. Very good!

Dan
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    A timely topic for me: I just finished picking Henney Penney down to the bone for broth. I cook my broth overnight in my crock pot, which I put in the garage so I don't dream about chickens all night.

Several people mentioned adding vinegar. As I understand it, apple cider vinegar helps to extract the maximum mineral goodness from the bones; it's not for taste or texture. Here's my formula: chicken carcass (haven't tried beef bones yet), two onions, some celery stalks, four carrots, two small sweet potatoes, 3 unpeeled garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, whatever aromatics take my fancy at the time, just enough filtered water to cover the veggies. If you don't have all that on hand, I'm thinking onions and carrots would be the minimum for a full, rounded flavor. You can sub lemon juice for the apple cider vinegar but use one or the other.

It may sound like a lot of trouble (certainly more than popping open a can of Swanson's Chicken Broth) but when you see the result you'll understand why it's worth it. Right now my own digestive system is in a parlous state and I'm kicking myself for not having broth already made and ready to work its magic.

I was never very good at those combination/permutation problems in statistics class but I'm pretty sure there are NOT 200 ways to do this. If you want some other ideas, however, do a search on Pinterest for "bone broth."
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The collagen helps to prevent and repair wrinkles, and I'm sure it has other health benefits as well, so I want to get into this.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I bought oxtail for the first time today. It's simmering in the crock pot, along with a big pile of marrow bones. Smells delish.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Dan

Hey Dan! Have you done marrow broth before? How is oxtail different? My butcher convinced me to buy (steeply discounted!) oxtail today, so I'm simmering my first batch. I can hardly wait til tomorrow to eat it. :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Dan

Hey Dan! Have you done marrow broth before? How is oxtail different? My butcher convinced me to buy (steeply discounted!) oxtail today, so I'm simmering my first batch. I can hardly wait til tomorrow to eat it. :smiley:

How many oxtails did you use? Those things are tiny.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

It was just under 2lb - I got some big meaty ones and some of the itty bitties. Then 2lb of marrow bones.
  • Christine_72
    Options

It was just under 2lb - I got some big meaty ones and some of the itty bitties. Then 2lb of marrow bones.

Thanks. I bet it's going to be delicious :smile:
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I would think oxtails might be cheap, but they are decidedly not where I can get them..... $9 a pound and almost no meat.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    I would think oxtails might be cheap, but they are decidedly not where I can get them..... $9 a pound and almost no meat.

$8 here :/ I only bought them because my butcher cut me a deal and gave them to me for $2.99 a pound, since she was out of soup bones.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oxtails are $11 per kg here. (1kg=2.2lbs)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Bones, water, simmer, drink. How do you write that 200 different ways? LOL

Broth making is an art. Japanese ramen for example is judged not on the noodle but on the broth and there are many regional varieties. The shop with the best broth form lines for miles.

Ah yes, gazing at the pork with eyes of love! A young Ken Watanabe in Tanpopo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9m6FoSw4jE
  • TheCakeDiva
    TheCakeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another tip I do when making broth - I put the bones on a sheet pan and roast them at a high temp (about 375-400) for half an hour to 45 minutes. That roasting kind of carmelizes things and gives an extra layer of flavour to broth. Then I load up the stock pot and let it simmer for 4 or 5 hours. I throw in onion & garlic & bay leaf, peppercorns, carrots & celery if I have it on hand.

I've only done it with turkey bones though. I've not attempted a beef broth before. I currently have fifteen 2 1/2-3 cup baggies of broth in the freezer for making soups.