Is my scale broken???

Options
kjerome101
kjerome101 Posts: 61 Member
I weigh myself every morning after I use the restroom and from one day to the next it can fluctuate up or down by up to 2 pounds, even though I am sticking to healthy eating and exercising frequently...is that right? or do I need a better scale??

Replies

• sbransley1
    sbransley1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From what I understand your weight can fluctuate during the day from things like water retention, excess salt intake, or hormone changes. Your weight in the morning may not be the same that night, let alone the next day.
  • ripcurlrana
    ripcurlrana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same frustrations. Goes up and down by the pound or stays the same for days! It's normal (unfortunately!)
  • nov1972
    nov1972 Posts: 1
    Options
    I guess I'm glad it's normal but I hate tgat my scale hasn't been moving (down) lately!
  • kjerome101
    kjerome101 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same frustrations. Goes up and down by the pound or stays the same for days! It's normal (unfortunately!)

good to hear that it's normal! i have stayed the exact same weight for 5 days now...usually it will fluctuate a little but it's when it either stays the same or goes up and down by a lot at a time that it seems strange to me.
  • becam01
    becam01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the same but I keep seeing the scale going up. I keep hearing people say "oh it's just muscle you're putting on" but pants are tight and I am frustrated. What am I doing wrong???

Sorry, had to vent.
  • gilldunkley
    gilldunkley Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with your scales! My mass goes up by approximately 5lbs in the course of a day and I don't bother weighing myself in the week before I menstruate since I see it fluctuating "wildly"; up to 9 or 10lbs difference. Have you considered measuring progress in a different way? Tape measure and also 7 site calliper measurements?
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recommend using the app Happy Scale! You weigh yourself every day and it accounts for those normal fluctuations and gives you a "moving average" so you can get a more realistic idea of what your weight loss looks like without getting upset by water retention or too excited over a big poo haha
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. If you use Android, use the app Libra.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hev481 wrote: »
    I recommend using the app Happy Scale! You weigh yourself every day and it accounts for those normal fluctuations and gives you a "moving average" so you can get a more realistic idea of what your weight loss looks like without getting upset by water retention or too excited over a big poo haha

LOL. A big poo.

So true. Its totally exciting.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kjerome101 wrote: »

good to hear that it's normal! i have stayed the exact same weight for 5 days now...usually it will fluctuate a little but it's when it either stays the same or goes up and down by a lot at a time that it seems strange to me.

I experience the same thing and what I found to be helpful is weighing yourself first thing in the morning when you wake up and preferably after using the restroom and without clothes. Being consistent like this you will get the most accurate weight. I have found for myself that I can go 6-7 days at the same weight and then over the next 2 days I will shed 1.5-2 lbs. Everybody's body is different so learning how yours works and reacts to what you are doing is important. My doctor tells me not to weigh myself everyday but it can be hard to resist especially after working out so hard during the week.