Day 3 of Keto - is this normal?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
I only ate 950 calories yesterday (in spite of my diary, I fudged it to hit 1000 so I could complete). Today, I wasn't hungry until noon. I'm actually ok with all that.

I'm really thirsty. I had 32oz this morning of coffee/milk and have had at least that much water. I'm not peeing as much as one would think. I feel kind of wonky in my head. I'm currently drinking 16oz of broth with added salt in case the feeling is from low sodium, but if not, might I have keto flu? I did Atkins like a million years ago, so I don't remember if I felt like this before.

I'm not actually sure if I'm in keto yet, I just bought some test strips at lunch time. Do I need to use FMU to test or can I test at any time during the day as long as it is a clean catch?

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the strips.... I have NEVER tested as being in ketosis.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    Don't trust the strips.... I have NEVER tested as being in ketosis.

Then how do you know when you are? Do you feel a certain way? I'm around 30+/- net carbs right now and was hoping to use the strips to determine how high I can go and still maintain keto.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Is "keto breath" a sign? I'm thinking so since I got it after I lowered my carbs to 30-35ish and have it every afternoon (I don't notice it in the mornings for some reason).
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    It won't erase if you don't complete the day, so no need to fudge your numbers. It simply won't alert your friends that you've completed the day. I think I completed like 10 days in the very beginning, but nothing in nearly a year.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Keto strips work for me.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Well, I just tested and the strip showed a small to moderate amount of ketones. I'm hoping that it is accurate, it would certainly explain my current brain fog :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @michelle172415 the link below will take you to another MFP discussion. I use a $15 breath analyzer off ebay daily (see embedded link in first post in below thread) and the Precision Xtra when I want hard data.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1236978/breathalyzer-for-ketosis-check
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Well, I just tested and the strip showed a small to moderate amount of ketones. I'm hoping that it is accurate, it would certainly explain my current brain fog :)

You are probably in ketosis, and really that is what you need to know. The strips (from what I have read) will measure what your body does not use, which is why it is expelling it through the urine. As you progress into keto, the strips quit working as your body is consuming more and more of the ketones you make. So are you making ketones? Sounds like it. Is your body fully utilizing them? Not yet. I've read this can take a few weeks or even a few months. So when people panic that their strips don't detect ketones yet they have done everything right, it means they are in full ketosis now. But that is why the strips quit being useful as it really doesn't have much to measure. For me I use the Precision Xtra and test once a week. (It is not cheap!) But honestly, I can now 'feel' where I am with ketosis. There are signs, like reduced appetite, bad breath, stable blood sugar...etc. I dropped out a keto a month ago and I was RAVENOUSLY hungry, like crazy. I pigged out on eggs, meats and healthy fats but avoided most carbs for 2 days just to get back in keto. Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If it's showing ketones you are making them for sure.
    Sometimes they don't show ketones when someone is actually making them. That's how they are inaccurate. I personally think when that happens its related to very dilute urine from drinking a lot of water. Simple dilution preventing it from showing up. There's nothing wrong with drinking all the water you want.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you are eating fewer carbs than you body needs you will produce ketones. I think the brain alone needs something like 120g of glucose daily, if you consume less than that your body will deplete your glycogen stores, once that's done it will convert some from protein and start burning fat thus producing ketones. If you are consuming low carbs you will inevitably produce ketones. Common side effects in the beginning are reduced appetite also since you are depleting those glycogen stores you will be releasing water as well likely triggering thirst to replenish that water.

I guess it would depend on the definition as to whether or not you are in keto. Are you producing ketones, yes, based on above criteria, check your numbers.

Ketostix are probable useless, aside from the fact that they help you to see an actual physical change to prove you are flushing ketones. Again though based on the fact your body has to burn fat for fuel if it's lacking glucose, you are producing ketones whether a stick shows it or not.
  • motown13
    Options
    kimmydear wrote: »
    Is "keto breath" a sign? I'm thinking so since I got it after I lowered my carbs to 30-35ish and have it every afternoon (I don't notice it in the mornings for some reason).

I had horrible breath for 4 - 5 weeks.... it is now back to normal, which can be normal.
  • motown13
    Options
    If it's showing ketones you are making them for sure.
    Sometimes they don't show ketones when someone is actually making them. That's how they are inaccurate. I personally think when that happens its related to very dilute urine from drinking a lot of water. Simple dilution preventing it from showing up. There's nothing wrong with drinking all the water you want.

Yeah, I guess that could be true since I used to drink 100+ ounces a day, and now that my blood sugar is fairly close to normal, I am drinking 40 - 50 a day.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    kimmydear wrote: »

I had horrible breath for 4 - 5 weeks.... it is now back to normal, which can be normal.

Oh good, this gives me hope that mine will go away too!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think the strips are mostly accurate. Mostly. Which annoys me because I can rarely get above small ketones. ;)

BTW The brain fog is probablyfrom low electrolytes. A cup of brothe will probably help with that. :)

Congrats. Sounds like you are doing well!
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Isn't 950 calories a day dangerously low?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    950 calories everyday is low. If they balance out with hungrier, higher calorie days, you're good. The lack of hunger is a transition to adjust to! It's so new, but is wonderful!

Thirst is a signal that your body, likely, needs sodium! Ketoers need to replace the sodium we lose by consuming 3000-5000mg of quality salt (sodium tablets work too!) everyday! The more fluids you drink, the more sodium you are losing!

The strips are neat to use for validation of ketosis, but don't work for some people when they don't have much fat to burn that leads to the excess being spilled over into the urine. They are worth a try. I find that I can use them any time of day (when I do). You just hold them under your urine stream, no need to catch a sample (or clean catch as you mentioned). Good luck!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    Isn't 950 calories a day dangerously low?

No, not really. It's low, and any normal person would have a very difficult time getting all of the necessary nurtrients into their diet at their caloric level. But that also isn't a normal day for me, yesterday I hit over 1,200 yesterday and Saturday I was at just over 1,452, no I'm not worried about one low day, it really would only be an issue if it were an every day thing.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    Just got a positive again for ketones which I'm happy about because I had more carbs yesterday than I wanted, 45 total, 38 net.

I definitely felt better yesterday after chugging some broth with all the added salt I could stand, so I'm sure that was it. It definitely wasn't dehydration, because while not as light in color as normal, my urine was still light-ish.

I don't have any of my food planned today, so hopefully come dinner tonight I can whip something together that will fall within my macros.