Do you ever eat beans?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
My daughter is doing a project in high school where she chose to eat vegetarian for 30 days. She is now on day 22. On day 30 she wants to make something called "White Bean Burgers".

She and I don't share a lot of things in common, but we both LOVE to cook. I have been teaching her to cook since she was 5 years old.

Anyway, she really wants me to eat one of these. I told her that I might have a bite, but without a roll. Now, she knows way more about nutrition than I do ( and she is almost 15 ), and said "But Dad, beans are very low on the glycemic index; you should be able to eat "ONE" burger without the roll."

I said that I will consider it, but I think that I will have to stick to just one bite.

Oh, and for day 31, I promised her any meal she wants at any restaurant she wants..... all she wants is buffalo wings, LOL.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    How sensitive are you to fiber and the sugars in beans? I tend to get extremely gassy and cramps from them. That would be my biggest factor. I know what my body can and can't handle.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    IMHO, unless eating the burger presents an immediate health issue, I would go ahead and have it. The relationship with your daughter trumps all. You can always cut out something else to make up the difference. Also, the shear act of making the burgers and sitting down together to enjoy them as a family is what truly counts. If you end up not eating the entire thing that probably won't be a huge issue, but no need to let her know ahead of time that your intention is to only have one bite. And, I think she's correct about the GI factoids
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=1854146
    Calories 230.9
    Total Fat 7.1 g
    Saturated Fat 1.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g
    Cholesterol 0.0 mg
    Sodium 48.0 mg
    Potassium 756.3 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
    Sugars 2.1 g
    Protein 11.8 g

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I never, ever, ever eat beans---yes, IMHO one bite is plenty.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    IMHO, unless eating the burger presents an immediate health issue, I would go ahead and have it. The relationship with your daughter trumps all. You can always cut out something else to make up the difference. Also, the shear act of making the burgers and sitting down together to enjoy them as a family is what truly counts. If you end up not eating the entire thing that probably won't be a huge issue, but no need to let her know ahead of time that your intention is to only have one bite. And, I think she's correct about the GI factoids

I agree, plan for it and deal with consequences but enjoy time with your daughter. It is not like a big piece of cake with icing and ice cream that will send your sugars raging. Beans have fiber and protein and definitely not the worst carb you could eat. I would skip the roll.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The side effects will likely be extreme, but the time with your daughter will make up for whatever distress you may feel, imo! I don't eat them because of other pain issues they cause for me, but that's me. Have a blast! No pun intended, I promise, lol!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't miss beans in my diet. However they are a staple for some. And of course there is a ton of research on their benefits. When your not use to eating them gas is the biggest complaint.
    From my understanding you should soak the beans in water overnight. And not use canned in any sauce and if canned rinse then soak.
    I don't agree on eating something just because.... But if YOU want to eat it or try it bc YOU want too then there should be nothing stopping you. Beans are not the devil. I have healthier fitter friends that consume beans almost daily.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I raised daughters, so I totally understand! Get out a small storage container before you eat. Put a whole bean burger (no bun) on your plate. Take one bite and savor it! Discuss flavor, texture, cooking technique etc. Take one more bite and repeat dialogue. Then, declare it delicious and say you're looking forward to eating more at your next meal. Put the leftovers in container. For dramatic effect, label it "Dad's bean burger!" Wait for the phone call for your Oscar nomination. IMHO, your daughter wants your attention and affirmation more than she wants you to consume the entire thing at one sitting.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten them recently, but I don't necessarily avoid them on purpose. They have never given me any unfavorable side effects, but not that I am attempting VLCHF, I really don't have the room for them in my diet.

In your case, it is one day, one meal. I would just eat the burger for your daughter, of course, I have a hard time saying no to my kids.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat beans almost every day. I had a big spoonful in my lunch, and a handful of edamame in my dinner. I love beans. I'm not very low carb though. I'd eat the burger, but we all have our goals and rules. Good luck.
  • motown13
    Options
    This would be an easier choice if I was more established in LCHF. I am only 2 months in.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm adding beans back into my diet, in small servings, regardless of carbs. They've never made me gassy, unlike many vegetables, they're as good as fat for filling me up, and they make my digestion better.
  • wabmester
    edited March 2016
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    This would be an easier choice if I was more established in LCHF. I am only 2 months in.

Only 2 months? You've posted about your fear of getting "knocked out" of ketosis. You've posted about your incredulity about a book on keto telling you 80/20 is OK.

Sorry, but I'm just curious about this mindset. What information are people reading that gives them these fears? How do you think ketosis works?

Is there any way we can convince you that you've been misinformed? :)
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think if you're worried about it, go with the suggestion to take a couple of bites and discuss it with your daughter. Heck, I'd probably cut the burger in half and eat half with another LCHF friendly side dish. That keeps you at the table, supporting your daughter, and not going "overboard" on the burger. My son has been on a baking kick lately, and he's been desperate to get feedback on what he's made, so I've had a cookie or a small piece of cake...to his credit they've been good, but I'd love if he'd make something healthier....but the relationship and validation is the important part.
  • motown13
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Only 2 months? You've posted about your fear of getting "knocked out" of ketosis. You've posted about your incredulity about a book on keto telling you 80/20 is OK.

Sorry, but I'm just curious about this mindset. What information are people reading that gives them these fears? How do you think ketosis works?

Is there any way we can convince you that you've been misinformed? :)

I don't really know. Honestly, I have not done much research. But LCLF worked to some degree for me, but I hated every second of it.... LCHF seemed like a much more enjoyable way to go.

But basically what I know for a fact about a keto diet is, "If you don't have carbs to burn, then the body will start using fat as its energy source."

But LCHF aside, I have fears with my diabetes. I was truly in a bad place a few months ago, and things are definitely much improved since switching to LCHF..... I don't want anything to disturb the process that seems to be working very well, overall. ( Though the 457 triglycerides still scare me, no matter what folks have said ).

Also, in 2007, I had a 6 artery bypass. Even today, fat still scares me.

• wabmester
    Options
    Those are valid concerns, but I guess the way I think about it is that ketosis is a natural state, so think about how you would have eaten as a caveman.

Probably around 80/20 for ketosis vs not. You'd eat meat and nothing but meat after a kill. You might fast for a day or two if food were scarce. But if you stumbled upon some honey or berries, would you pass them by because you were afraid of getting knocked out of ketosis? :)
  • motown13
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Those are valid concerns, but I guess the way I think about it is that ketosis is a natural state, so think about how you would have eaten as a caveman.

Probably around 80/20 for ketosis vs not. You'd eat meat and nothing but meat after a kill. You might fast for a day or two if food were scarce. But if you stumbled upon some honey or berries, would you pass them by because you were afraid of getting knocked out of ketosis? :)

I probably would IF I had other choices, and knew I had diabetes and heart issues.

This is not to say that I will never eat a carb laden meal again. I absolutely will. But for now, I feel like I have to have a militaristic attitude with this ( for myself ) until I feel like I have it all down, and can get right back on the horse.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    All beans are high in carbs regardless of where they fall on the Glycemic Index (GI) which is why they are usually avoided when doing LCHF. The ONLY kind of beans I eat occasionally are green beans and yellow/wax/Italian beans (think yellow green beans). I don't know how carb sensitive your body is, but eating an entire white bean burger even without the bun may be enough to knock you out of nutritional ketosis....just sayin'! One bite, probably not. The choice, of course, is yours to make.
  • motown13
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    All beans are high in carbs regardless of where they fall on the Glycemic Index (GI) which is why they are usually avoided when doing LCHF. The ONLY kind of beans I eat occasionally are green beans and yellow/wax/Italian beans (think yellow green beans). I don't know how carb sensitive your body is, but eating an entire white bean burger even without the bun may be enough to knock you out of nutritional ketosis....just sayin'! One bite, probably not. The choice, of course, is yours to make.

Except black soy beans. 1 net carb per serving.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Except black soy beans. 1 net carb per serving.

Again, unfermented soy is not something I choose to put into my body. Here is why:

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/soy/magic-bean/

FERMENTED soy on the other hand, I will eat and do enjoy.