What works for you?

Options
sloth3toes
sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Perhaps we can come up with some common denominators of what works for us, or has worked in the past?

What seems to curb your binging, even if it's short term... ?

Try to be as specific as possible. If it's medication, name the medication. Or therapy, try to name or describe the therapy.

For me... I have to confess that I feel like a bit of a 'lightweight binger' compared to some of us, here.... I tend to consider 1,000 calories of sweets a binge.... although, I've certainly gone higher. Funny, if I intentionally choose to treat the family to DQ Blizzards, at over 1,000 calories, per.... I don't think of it as a binge... I might consider the 2nd extra huge slice of a DQ Blizzard frozen cake, near binge-worthy.... but, I consider hitting upwards of 20 Oreos at just over 50 calories a pop, to be a binge. Certainly, switching over to the bag of chocolate chips, and then hitting the Fruit Berries... a binge. But, we all know what we consider a binge, so if it's a binge to me, it's a binge.

Anyhow.....

What seems to be working for me right now, as of Jan 1, is:

I did a very short, ( 3 days, maybe ? ) 'juice fast' starting Dec 31 to 'reset' things... and as a jumpstart..... Now, if you just recognized that I just said 3 of the 7 words you can't say on MFP.... I wrote a blog a long time ago, titled "The 7 words you can't say on MFP," here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sloth3toes
back when I liked to wrestle with the MFP mainstream a bit. I think we can all agree that we're not really MFP mainstream, if we're in this group, however.

So, that said... being of the always having to jump in with both feet, and looking for instant gratification mindset... I drank home-juiced juice for 3 or 4 days. Then, I started eating a big salad for one of my meals, at least on work days. And, I started back with the bare minimum of exercise, and stuck to that.

My current job situation has been rather 'traumatic,' and I think I use the word rather loosely... but, it's changing up quite drastically, and this is causing a great deal of stress among all my coworkers. I decided to try to tackle it head-on.... and started researching relaxation techniques... which has led me to some very hippy-ish ideas. ( By my previous standards, anyhow ) I'm actually trying to breath more deeply, when I think about it, and attempting to meditate to the best of my ability. And from my minimal research into mediation... it appears that mediation is almost just prayer for non-religious people. So, if you believe in a higher power, and pray in that direction, you're probably already one step up from me when it comes to mediation.

I felt that to be able to stick to the exercise, and at least get the value of going, it was best to NOT push myself, until I felt more stable at work. For the last almost 3 months, I've been lifting old man weights on the machines.... and swimming way less laps at the pool, than I felt I should / could. But, always the 20 mins in the hot tub after... ALWAYS. I never scrimp on that. Just as of this weekend, I felt that the time had come that I could slowly start ramping up the weight, and laps in the pool. But, slowly... so as not to try to go too far, too fast.

So, the TL;DR version of this, would be.... this is my version of moderation. I didn't know how it would look, when I started out on Jan 1, or Dec 31, whatever... but, I've managed to, for once, take it slow... without making HUGE moves. So far, aside from a few mini- moderate-binges... I've done really well... knock on wood.... by:
    Eating similar foods, but with some variety, daily. A salad every work day and yogurt or oatmeal with massive amounts of strawberries and blueberries, as deserts most nights. I am trying not to demonize certain foods, but I admit there are still some I'm afraid of. Moderate exercise, not pushing it, but ramping up slowly, to actually feel like I'm doing something worthwhile Learning to relax / destress. I think this is HUGE in all our lives. I started looking into relaxation techniques more to avoid stress at work, but I think it's led to less desire to binge.

***edited to add***

And as I've said in other threads.... I haven't been counting calories, except perhaps in my head, in the most general sense, to get a feeling of where I'm at... I do weigh in, every few days or so, to see which direction I'm heading... and I don't log. While I really really really wanna lose weight... I feel that the basic premise of MFP, counting calories and logging is counterproductive for me, and added to my eating neuroses. I strongly suspect it's not good for people with various eating disorders. And I also feel that while losing weight is the end goal... if I can't kick the binging... it's never gonna happen anyhow. So, regardless of what my weight does now... if trying to restrict calories causes binges, then what's the point? IMHO, I have to kick the binging, before even looking at seriously trying to lose weight. In other words, I think that in my case, dieting caused binging.

And sorry for the excessive use of dot dot dots. It's just my thing.......

Replies

• sloth3toes
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »
    And from my minimal research into mediation MEDITATION ... it appears that mediation MEDITATION is almost just prayer for non-religious people. So, if you believe in a higher power, and pray in that direction, you're probably already one step up from me when it comes to mediation MEDITATION .

Damnit.

• daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Nothing works for me. I'm really interested to see what others have to say. I live in a dorm, which is bad because once I start to binge I will literally finish everything in my room. It doesn't matter what it is (fruit, Greek yogurt, healthy cereal, etc. the only foods I don't binge on are unflavored oatmeal and whey protein. I've tried eliminated some stuff and it helps in some ways but makes other things worse. I have absolutely no self control. It's pathetic, and I'm so sick of doing this. A typical "good" day for me would be a protein shake and fruit for breakfast; oatmeal, fruit, and a second shake (or bar) for lunch; Greek yogurt or bar for a snack; and then a big salad, lots of fruit and veggies , and a clif bar after dinner. I usually derail somewhere after lunch but sometimes before. Eating in the dining hall is okay, but I often grab a handful of chocolate chips or M&Ms on my way out and then continue eating poorly afterwards. I literally can't keep food (other than fruit) in my room so this gets tough...I'm horrified what will happen when I go home and the house is stocked with cookies, chips, candy, etc and I have absolutely no control and my parents see how much weight I gained (while training for a marathon!) it's pathetic it really is
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Great write up, as well as for the one you did about the "7 words...". I remembered that post from when I used my old account. It was well written.

I'm going to try just bringing cash with me when I go grocery shopping, to limit my purchases and help me be more focussed on my "needs".

Another thing that helped last week was to just throw away food that was tripping me up. For various reasons, we needed to go to the foodbank and rather than getting some level of nutritious food, they gave us a lot of unhealthy food. For example, 8 tubes of Pringles, 2 large bags of potato chips, cans of pop, etc. I realize it may seem ungrateful; but after eating several cans of yucky flavoured Pringles "just because they were there", it was better to get rid of them, which I did and I haven't missed them, even though I may have been hungry. They made me feel like crap anyways, so it was just as well.

I find cutting way back for a few days helps (similar to the juicing you did). For me, it's usually having my protein drinks and veggies, etc.

Take care
    ~ Elizabeth
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have to confess....prayer has been what has helped me. Prayer and faith.

Our church is in flux (I love that word! Sounds naughty!!!) and we have been without a pastor for several years. One of our fill in guys is morbidly obese and freely confesses his BED, only he calls it gluttony. Which is a sin. I know, I know! But as a Christian, I recognize it in MYSELF as a sin. Not calling y'all out, just stating MY conviction. Your model may vary!

So, since I was able to see it as a sin, it became clear to me that 1. Preachers are just as screwed up as the rest of us and 2. I had Help available to me at all times. So I began with prayer, asking my HP (God) to help me. I specifically confessed to Him and asked Him to help me be a better servant, wife, and mother by improving my attitudes-not just towards food, but towards everything. I committed it ALL to Him.

Not saying that it's perfect. I struggle. Pizza, doughnuts, and carrot cake happen. Often. But I am getting there.

I'm not going to go all preachy and try to shove Jesus down anyone's throat, and I know some of y'all may be rolling eyes at the Jesus Freak. But Sloth asked, so I shared!

And now I gotta go to work! Later 'Taters!
  • daniellethesheep
    Options
    This binge eating has actually pushed me away from religion. I begged God for help so many times and I know nothing can help me at this point...I just feel like no one is listening. I totally recognize it as gluttony also, which is why I don't go to communion anymore on the rare occasions I go to church
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @daniellethesheep I'm so sorry you are struggling so badly. Feeling alone and helpless is the worst. Remember you are not alone though, we are all here for you. You said you are training for a marathon, I think that is awesome and something you should be extremely proud of. I can't even run a mile on pavement without feeling like I'm going to die!

Right now I am not counting calories, weighing food or getting on the scale more than once a week. I think it's more important to fix my relationship with food and my body image before I attempt to lose more weight. The urge to binge is definitely still there though.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This binge eating has actually pushed me away from religion. I begged God for help so many times and I know nothing can help me at this point...I just feel like no one is listening. I totally recognize it as gluttony also, which is why I don't go to communion anymore on the rare occasions I go to church

Religion is not something I follow. I open my Bible and read and decide for myself. But I won't preach to you. That's not my intention. Sloth simply asked what worked and I shared. I am sorry your experience wasn't groovy. I wish I had the answers you need. Keep seeking!

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    The things that have drastically decreased my binging are:

1. Keeping trigger foods out of the house.
    2. Lunesta, to help me sleep through the night so I don't wake up and binge in the middle of the night.

I'm a little worried about #1 though, because my son has started staying over at my place again, and so I have to keep some snacks around for him. So far I've been okay, but I know sooner or later I'm going to give in.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    For me my medication helps immensely, but even that is not 100%. I find that figuring out what my triggers are helps. I know that stress is a big trigger for me. Sadly when my son is in a full blown ADHD moment it raises my stress levels, so I am doing what I can to help calm him down. @RespectTheKitty I know what you mean about keeping trigger foods out of the house, my kids both love chips, snack cakes, and candy and with Easter next week our house will be filled with candy. Last year their great grandmother bought them each child an Easter basket over loaded with candy, then their grandmother calls my son her chocolate boy and her got a special all chocolate basket as well as what we got him, and his aunts, uncles, and grandparents. We live in a candy wonderland, and for me when I binge I tend to lean towards sugary treats.

Sorry for rambling on, so figuring out triggers helps me, stress, feeling overwhelmed, things linked to my anxiety are triggers for me. I have been trying to figure out ways to defuse the situations before they trigger that urge to binge.
  • msty112
    msty112 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Luckily my daughter is only 2 and really doesn't have much exposure to candy yet. Her basket will be small toys and books. She went on a Easter egg hunt last weekend and she got to eat 1 piece and then we gave the rest to her older cousins. I knew if we brought it home I would binge on it.
  • mweckler
    Options
    I am trying to stay strong, I have indulged in a few pieces here and there but so far no full on binges.
  • sloth3toes
    Options

I'm not going to go all preachy and try to shove Jesus down anyone's throat, and I know some of y'all may be rolling eyes at the Jesus Freak. But Sloth asked, so I shared!

JeepGirl ~ Yes, I did ask, and you've mentioned your faith before, and that's what kind of peaked my interest when I read that meditation ( got that right this time :) ) was similar to prayer. I might start saying that 'meditation is prayer for atheists.'

@daniellethesheep ~ I wonder how your running and binging are related? Here's what strikes me.... To a non marathoner, running 25 miles or so seems rather extreme, right? As does binging to just about anyone. I'm just wondering if there's some correlation between your 'extreme' running, and extreme eating?

52252847.jpg

• daniellethesheep
    Options
    @sloth3toes yeah they're absolutely related! 3+ hour workouts nearly every day do a wonder on your appetite, even if you eat perfectly. Also I feel like I use my workouts as a reason to justify eating more (aka binging 99% of the time). Working out hard usually makes my appetite go down immediately after. But about 12 hours later (nighttime) I just feel so hungry it's ridiculous. Like massive blood sugar low, crash and burn, feels like I haven't eaten in a week even if dinner was an hour ago.

The binging for me started when I got hurt in 2014 and couldn't run. I absolutely love running. It's my everything, and sometimes it seems like it's all I've got. You take the drugs away from an addict and they'll find something else to get "high". 2 years, 35 pounds, and many injuries later, here I am.

Also sometimes I feel like fighting my brain while exercising (like "go go go!!" for 20 miles) is so mentally defeating, that I'm a lot less likely to use "mental energy" to fight urges.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    @daniellethesheep I'm really not sure where I was going with that.... It doesn't seem like lightening up on the running would do anything to relieve the binging, probably would only make it worse. What concerns me the most, is how down you seem to be on yourself. Is there anyone at the school that you can talk to? Don't they have some sort of counseling or referral service?
  • jdres
    jdres Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been battling binge eating disorder for nearly four years. There was a time, recently, where I felt so out of control and not like myself that I was absolutely terrified. It is as if binge eating stole my identity. Every day it rules an aspect of my life and every day it fogs up my brain so I do not perform to the best of my ability.

What triggers me is eating processed foods. Weird, right? Any and all processed foods lead to a huge binge 100% of the time. And can you imagine how hard it is to stay away from processed foods living in a house with seven others in a wide age range? Terrible!
    I've communicated my struggles and opened up about my disorder but coming from a Greek Orthodox background where food is never an issue but always a blessing ( this is true and I'm thankful for the availability of food), they don't fully understand or believe the pain and damage I am causing myself.

What do I do to help myself? Well, I've recently realized the trigger is being alone with food.. "Trigger foods". If my parents got up and left the kitchen and I was left alone in there, it's a signal to brain to jump at the chance to be naughty and eat what I cannot. In reality, I eat those "trigger foods" every day. So to help myself starting today, I will remove myself from the kitchen. Eat only when I'm with company and leave the kitchen when I am without.

I need to learn to listen to my stomach when it says "I'm full". I also need to eat dessert IMMEDIATLY after dinner. How do I change that?

Wishing us luck.
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I just wanted to revisit this thread, to maybe sum up our attempts at a solution. So others can add, and possibly get some ideas as well.
    • Therapy
    • Medication
    • Prayer
    • Meditation
    • Discussion ~ personally or through forums
    • Low Carb
    • Other specific diets
    • Not dieting or not counting calories
    • Not restricting calories
    • Exercise
    • Sugar Free desserts ( not highly recommended :huh: )

What else have you got? What have I missed?
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I forgot.....
    • Stress Relief, including video games and .... ?
    • Writing before you bite
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    One thing I found that helps is to take my time and prolong my meals. It's really hard because I am so used to inhaling my food like a hoover...and usually distracted by work, the tv, etc...but if I slow down and eat slowly, enjoying eat bite, and even sometimes counting each chew just makes me more mindful of what I am doing. Today I ate half of a candy bar and was able to stop, because I ate it slowly and enjoyed it.

Also, portioning out a serving and putting the rest away will SOMETIMES make me stop and think before going back for more.
  • missshadowlovely
    missshadowlovely Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. New to this group, so first post for me.

Whenever I binge, it's almost completely mindless. It's like I have zero control over my own actions, and rarely am I ever even conscious of my binging...

For example, when I walk through the door at the end of a 12 hour shift at work, even if I ate PERFECTLY throughout the day; I end up in the kitchen... then BAM... 15-60 min later... I regain clarity and cognition... and I've knocked down 1500-2000 calories worth of snacks. Whether it's chowing down on leftovers... snack foods... sometimes I just throw together whatever I HAVE available and eat it... (Think odd items like a sandwich made of bread, butter, and cashews)...

The time/span of the eating is like a blank space of my memory, and my impulse control is not there.. at all. :/

I just know that once I come to a state of awareness of how much I've eaten, I'm always ashamed and disappointed.

I also don't ever seem to feel hungry or full, usually I just eat out of boredom or to kill time or because I'm driven to eat (but not hungry).

Aside from just NOT having ANY food in my house (remember, in a pinch, I'll throw weird things together to eat SOMETHING)... does anyone have any advice? I've thought about locking my fridges and pantry.. but I don't know that I even have a way of doing that.

Suggestions?
  • mweckler
    Options
    I have also described when I binge the same way, I am almost powerless and feel like I am watching it happen as a spectator. This is where it gets tricky you need to have food at your house because we need food to live. If you carry foods you are less likely to binge on you will leave and seek out the foods you want. The first thing I tried to do was figure out the reason for the binge, what caused me to have the binge? For me it was being under a lot of stress, when things seemed to just get too much I would binge, it did not matter if I was hungry or not I would hide in the pantry and shovel food mindlessly into my face, it did not matter what it was it just went into my mouth. I would also eat in secret shame and lie about it to my family.

So you said you walk into your house after a 12 hour shift and you ate perfectly, what does that actually mean? What is your line of work? Is it a stressful job? Is your home life stressful? Are you counting calories? Did you stay under your caloric goal? Sometimes a binge is triggered because we are depriving ourselves of something and that builds up until the urge to binge takes over and we undo all the hard work we had put in up to that point. So if you are counting calories are you tracking the foods you eat; are you blocking out certain foods? Like low carb, or no sugars? Allow yourself some kind of treat throughout the day and see if that keeps the urge to binge at bay.

Also welcome to the group I am glad you found us, and I hope you can find support and answers here.