This stuff tastes like heaven....

Options
emilybeaver
emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
i5kwkyrjps30.jpg
I'm in love with this stuff. It took me 10 minutes to eat a spoonful....I want to make some kind of low carb treat with it like a pb pie or something....anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    What is the carb count? I have never seen that, and I love peanut butter.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Here you go: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91HAuFBdVKL._SX522_.jpg

Looks like about the same for a lower quantity of peanut butter (2T - but part of that is air). It also contains things I'm not interested in consuming - molasses & fully hydrogenated vegetable oils.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I believe it is 6 carbs for 2 tablespoons. Like I said above, I only eat 1T and I make it last for about 5 mins enjoying every single bite of it. It's definitely not something I consume daily but it's my "sweet treat" when I'm craving something sweet.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You could make some kind of fat bomb with peanut butter and low carb sweeteners, maybe with grassfed butter, and have more control over the ingredients. I love peanut butter treats too.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. I'd probably whip it into some cream cheese and call it cheesecake. ;)
    I like the self-grind peanut butter at Winco. Cheap and simple. Or Adam's No Stir.

I haven't had PB yet. It's such an addiction for me. When I was pregnant, I ate peanut butter on peanut butter cookies and I still said it wasn't peanut buttery enough. I miss pregnancy... ;)
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I'm lazy. I'd probably whip it into some cream cheese and call it cheesecake. ;)
    I like the self-grind peanut butter at Winco. Cheap and simple. Or Adam's No Stir.

I haven't had PB yet. It's such an addiction for me. When I was pregnant, I ate peanut butter on peanut butter cookies and I still said it wasn't peanut buttery enough. I miss pregnancy... ;)

I miss pregnancy too...I keep telling my husband can I get pregnant yet!
    I was thinking about mixing it with some cream cheese too...and maybe add some dark chocolate shavings to the top...yumm....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »

Looks like about the same for a lower quantity of peanut butter (2T - but part of that is air). It also contains things I'm not interested in consuming - molasses & fully hydrogenated vegetable oils.

Yeah, I have to agree with @neohdiver on this one. Rapeseed oil = pesticide. Thank you, that particular ingredient is not on my shopping list or menu today and it's definitely something I want to willing put into my body. That said, the description on the front of the container does sound yummy. :)
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Whoa! Hydrogenated oil is just code for trans fat - which many countries don't legally even allow that in their food system. It's not safe at all, not even in small amounts. Why won't the US get rid of it? Just because it's a mega dirt cheep oil product (can't call it food) those making money off of our health won't stop unless they are forced.
  • Evelynandchris
    Evelynandchris Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The United States will be "getting rid of it" by 2018 and many fast food restaurants have already removed it from their ingredients. But, it persists in many shelf-stable, creamy items such as peanut butter and margarine for now.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Wow. See another reason why I'm glad I have you ladies. Looks like I won't be eating this anymore! Time to find another "sweet" treat!
  • Mongo5918
    Mongo5918 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Make your own, it is so easy even a grumpy old man can make it.
    I use 1 16 oz jar of Planters unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts because the list of ingredients is: PEANUTS and nothing else. If you get salted or any other flavor there are more junk ingredients than just salt and peanuts.

Pour the peanuts into your blender and start blending, don't add anything. The peanuts are oily enough that no other oil is needed. Keep blending and scraping the chopped nuts from the sides and magically after a few minutes the chopped nuts transform into a peanut butter consistency. You can keep blending until you get the texture you like from chunky to smooth. I then add Sweet Leaf Sweet Drops Stevia Clear Liquid Stevia Sweetener and Salt to taste. The 16 oz jar of peanuts will make about 2 cups of smooth peanut butter.

My wife likes peanut butter and after tasting this she threw out an almost full jar of Jiff because she said this tasted better. I like having complete control over the ingredients so I know there are no weird things slipped in by the wonderful manufacturers who are always looking out for our health and well-being. NOT
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Mongo5918 wrote: »
    Make your own, it is so easy even a grumpy old man can make it.
    I use 1 16 oz jar of Planters unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts because the list of ingredients is: PEANUTS and nothing else. If you get salted or any other flavor there are more junk ingredients than just salt and peanuts.

Pour the peanuts into your blender and start blending, don't add anything. The peanuts are oily enough that no other oil is needed. Keep blending and scraping the chopped nuts from the sides and magically after a few minutes the chopped nuts transform into a peanut butter consistency. You can keep blending until you get the texture you like from chunky to smooth. I then add Sweet Leaf Sweet Drops Stevia Clear Liquid Stevia Sweetener and Salt to taste. The 16 oz jar of peanuts will make about 2 cups of smooth peanut butter.

My wife likes peanut butter and after tasting this she threw out an almost full jar of Jiff because she said this tasted better. I like having complete control over the ingredients so I know there are no weird things slipped in by the wonderful manufacturers who are always looking out for our health and well-being. NOT

Another reason why I need a blender!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

Whoa! Hydrogenated oil is just code for trans fat - which many countries don't legally even allow that in their food system. It's not safe at all, not even in small amounts. Why won't the US get rid of it? Just because it's a mega dirt cheep oil product (can't call it food) those making money off of our health won't stop unless they are forced.

My husband would say for population control lol
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

My husband would say for population control lol

bahahaha.... :p
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Buy organic peanut butter and add whatever you want to it. The only ingredient should be peanuts, and maybe salt. I bet you could use that to make your own healthy snacks. I don't know of any recipes, but I'm sure you could find them.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The United States will be "getting rid of it" by 2018 and many fast food restaurants have already removed it from their ingredients. But, it persists in many shelf-stable, creamy items such as peanut butter and margarine for now.

Good! Thanks for posting that. Although why it will take them two+ years to just change a recipe is beyond me. Maybe they need time to do more rat studies on the artificial crud they plan to replace it with? Yikes. Processed foods can be so scary.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I believe processed foods cause a majority of the diseases we see today! Our food companies are making us ill!
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I buy the 2oz packets from Justin's PB. I can not be trusted with a jar! But a ton today cause they were $.50!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=164.150&SearchTerm=peanut butter

Unless they are adding peanut oil (to bring the fat content up), they have to use hydrogenated oils or not use any added oils.
    Oil products used as optional stabilizing ingredients shall be hydrogenated vegetable oils. For the purposes of this section, hydrogenated vegetable oil shall be considered to include partially hydrogenated vegetable oil.

That's what the FDA says is acceptable. Many kinds don't use any stabilizing oils, but those that do are using these because it's the definition of what is peanut butter according to our government.

Edit: I learned that fun fact when trying to figure out why there weren't any options that I found acceptable unless I went with ground peanuts and nothing else.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I believe processed foods cause a majority of the diseases we see today! Our food companies are making us ill!
    Karlottap wrote: »

Population control lol