A1C level

Options
Drum roll please.....

6.5% that was on February 11 this year. Last year, June 11, 14%.

I don't know if it's the same in America, but in Canada, anything below 7% is the goal.

I'm on the right track at last. And, according to my waist measurement at the doctor's, 1/2 in smaller than March 3, for a total of 4 3/8 total inches off my waist since September.

Replies

• DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't know how the readings compare between US and Canada, but you are down by more than half and that is great. Good work.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Actually, I checked on the ADA. And when it comes to A1C, the readings are the same. It's the daily readings that differ.
  • Goul22
    Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Drum roll please.....

6.5% that was on February 11 this year. Last year, June 11, 14%.

I don't know if it's the same in America, but in Canada, anything below 7% is the goal.

I'm on the right track at last. And, according to my waist measurement at the doctor's, 1/2 in smaller than March 3, for a total of 4 3/8 total inches off my waist since September.

• Goul22
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Judy, I was told under 6 is the goal. Last year I achieved 6... And was told still not good enough. I had worked SO hard! So that's when I let things slide. I was so discouraged you know?

Those are the levels I am expected to reach:

Fasting sugars : under 5 mmol/L
    Before a meal : 6 or under
    A1C : 5.9 or less

This morning, I woke up with a pounding headache. I was 5.8 mmol/L. So that's not good enough apparently... :(

• judyvalentine512
    Options
    When I started this journey, my A1C was 14%. My fasting sugars were between 19 and 29. After meals was through the roof.
    As of Feb, my A1c was 6.5%, which is still diabetic, but my fasting and after meals are more in line with the 'normal' If I go below 5, I get the lower sugar symptoms.
    My doctor, and the surgeons say, that because I'm dealing with only 50% of my pancreas, I will always be diabetic now, as well as considered 'chronic pancreatitis'.
    So, I may never get to the pre-diabetic levels, and will be taking meds the rest of my life, but it is slowly improving, and that's all I can hope for.
    I have another appointment with my doctor in June, and I will finally see an endocrinologist in May. We'll see how things shake out then.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Ju
    Goul22 wrote: »
    Judy, I was told under 6 is the goal. Last year I achieved 6... And was told still not good enough. I had worked SO hard! So that's when I let things slide. I was so discouraged you know?

Those are the levels I am expected to reach:

Fasting sugars : under 5 mmol/L
    Before a meal : 6 or under
    A1C : 5.9 or less

This morning, I woke up with a pounding headache. I was 5.8 mmol/L. So that's not good enough apparently... :(

Just double checked again with the Canadian Diabetes Association. A1C goal is 7% or less. Fasting is between 4 to 7, and two hours after a meal is 5 to 10.
    Like I mentioned, if I go below 5, I get the low blood sugar symptoms.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great news!!!!! I know it is a good feeling to see your hard work showing up on the blood work.
  • Goul22
    Options
    Judy, thank you! Will talk to my doctor about those Canadian Diabetes Association goals. Those I can achieve! Maybe he has his "own" goals??!?
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Judy, thank you! Will talk to my doctor about those Canadian Diabetes Association goals. Those I can achieve! Maybe he has his "own" goals??!?

Well, my diabetes educator told me that the numbers are guidelines. It can vary person to person. It never hurts to check with your doctor though.
  • Goul22
    Options
    Judy, my doctor is extremely demanding. It's never enough. I've been putting off blood work for that very reason. I know. It's stupid.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, Judy!! What an improvement!!! I bet the doctor was so pleased to see that too!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Thanks Jane. She was impressed with that, but not nearly as much as I was. She was really pleased with the 4 inches off my waist. The weight doesn't seem to be moving, but it'll come I'm sure.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jane. She was impressed with that, but not nearly as much as I was. She was really pleased with the 4 inches off my waist. The weight doesn't seem to be moving, but it'll come I'm sure.
    You have a great attitude and I am sure it's gonna come!! Stay on track and it will happen!!

• MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options

Well, my diabetes educator told me that the numbers are guidelines. It can vary person to person. It never hurts to check with your doctor though.

way to go my levels now sit between 6 and 6.5 and my doctor does not even count me as diabetic levels will be off meds. by next visit because i have taken some lows around 5 lately. so that is what you can look forward to
  • judyvalentine512
    Options

way to go my levels now sit between 6 and 6.5 and my doctor does not even count me as diabetic levels will be off meds. by next visit because i have taken some lows around 5 lately. so that is what you can look forward to

I think it will all depend on the endocrinologist I will be seeing in May. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I think I still have a long way to go, diet and exercise wise to be taken off meds.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My last A1C was 5.4 but my daily fasting BG is sometimes over 100. I'm a little confused as I have had one doctor say that as long as it is under 120 I'm okay but another says it should be under 100. I have tried to do research on the internet and get mixed results as well.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    My last A1C was 5.4 but my daily fasting BG is sometimes over 100. I'm a little confused as I have had one doctor say that as long as it is under 120 I'm okay but another says it should be under 100. I have tried to do research on the internet and get mixed results as well.

I find, for the best information, check with the American Diabetes Assoc, or Canadian Diabetes Ass0c. They'll set you up with an educator and dietician. And, their website has all the levels for A1C and daily levels.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It appears that the ADA has a higher threshold of acceptable glucose than others' and what they recommend might cause long term damage. But 5.4 seems good. My doc wanted to take me off meds at that level, but going off meds would not allow me to be at that level, so I am continuing on them. Probably lower numbers recommended on this is more prudent.