Volatile blood sugars

Options
wdnisbet
wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
For years I experienced sugar readings that ranged widely, but lately things have changed. A new doc and a new med regimen since last summer got me much lower overall and December through February things were pretty good.

As as result doc lowered my insulin very modestly a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately now my readings are up again. Not like before but higher than I like. 110+ in mornings, 140 ish before lunch.

I have reviewed my logs and my food choices seem pretty consistent. No change in exercise level.

I don't know what to make of it. I am so disappointed. I worked so hard to get those improvements. I'd hate to lose them. I've been diabetic for more than 15 years and I really worry about my eyesight.

I am going to try replacing some of my more processed carbs with higher fiber versions (whole wheat pasta maybe) but since I haven't done this before I don't see it being responsible for the new higher numbers.

I cannot take metformin or other orals.

Any insights or suggestions?

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat anything is much better than the white flour, pasta, bread. The fibre helps the rest of the stuff digest slower, thus releasing the glucose slower. Also, you said you had a lot of stress lately as well as not feeling well. Both will contribute to higher blood sugars.
    Add a bit more protein?
    Whole wheat pasta is great. I've been using it for years, even before I was diabetic. Whole wheat bread as well. Now, if I use the white versions, they taste like paste to me.

Try for whole foods whenever you can. Real meat, not processed meat. That kinda thing.
    Keep me posted!
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes to what Judy suggested! Also try to eat some fat when you eat carbs. I eat raw unsalted almonds everyday and they are said to help regulate blood sugar..you might to try a handful before meals. They are healthy fat. Make sure you eat enough fiber too. Best wishes!!!!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Diabetes can be a very individual disease. I find that I am best off avoiding foods that cause a rise in either insulin or blood glucose. When I first started "eating to my meter" (2014) a whole wheat pasta dinner would spike my blood glucose from 120's to 140-150's and a white pasta dinner would spike into the 160-170's. None of those would be considered bad for a diabetic but even 120 causes some nerve and circulatory damage. It's the best that can be done with current diabetes meds.

Today I am controlling blood sugar with diet not meds. My typical fasting BG is high 80's to low 90's. Two hour post meal is 90-100. Today's pasta dinner would be zucchini noodles made with one of those "as seen on TV" gadgets. The pasta sauce would be made with real butter, real cream, fresh grated Parm, garlic. The meatballs would be all meat no breading.

I'm down 75 pounds since 2014. My knees don't hurt. My doctor is happy with my fasting BG, LDL & HDL numbers. His comment, "Just keep doing what you're doing."
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    Diabetes can be a very individual disease. I find that I am best off avoiding foods that cause a rise in either insulin or blood glucose. When I first started "eating to my meter" (2014) a whole wheat pasta dinner would spike my blood glucose from 120's to 140-150's and a white pasta dinner would spike into the 160-170's. None of those would be considered bad for a diabetic but even 120 causes some nerve and circulatory damage. It's the best that can be done with current diabetes meds.

Today I am controlling blood sugar with diet not meds. My typical fasting BG is high 80's to low 90's. Two hour post meal is 90-100. Today's pasta dinner would be zucchini noodles made with one of those "as seen on TV" gadgets. The pasta sauce would be made with real butter, real cream, fresh grated Parm, garlic. The meatballs would be all meat no breading.

I'm down 75 pounds since 2014. My knees don't hurt. My doctor is happy with my fasting BG, LDL & HDL numbers. His comment, "Just keep doing what you're doing."

I sometimes use spaghetti squash to replace pasta. What I find interesting(if I can use that word) is how quickly I started to enjoy the squash. And, sweet potatoes on place of white potatoes. I think that as humans, we can evolve and adjust to just about anything with a little patience and time.
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    The last 3-4 days my numbers have been better. I have eatten the same calories and mostly the same foods. I have adjusted a little, like fruit earlier in the day and very limited pasta. I don't cook pasta at home. I only get it in things like Lean Cusine meals for lunch. This helps me with portion control but still lets me have noodles sometimes.

I know the sugar in fruit can be a problem but I just refuse to give it up. I know the chips, cakes, fries etc really have to go, but I cannot lose my bananas. I just can't. Have to figure this out.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'll be brutal. Are bananas worth the loss of your feet or vision? I'll be even more brutal, for many diabetics the realization of that choice comes only after it is too late. I was handed the diagnosis of T2 diabetes in 2014 when I had a lab test with a fasting BG reading of 126. That was after several years of readings in the 120+ range. I recognize now that I have both nerve and circulatory damage. At the time I was diagnosed, I had a friend enter his final stages of his battle with diabetes. Over a period of 2 years he had a toe amputated, then a foot, then his leg below the knee, then his leg entirely. The process was repeated on his other leg. A few months after I was diagnosed he died, legless and angry with multiple organ failures. How tasty are those bananas?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    wdnisbet wrote: »

I know the sugar in fruit can be a problem but I just refuse to give it up. I know the chips, cakes, fries etc really have to go, but I cannot lose my bananas. I just can't. Have to figure this out.

It is surprising how much our beloved and healthful fruit can set off our blood sugar to climb outrageously ... a little story ... my doctor and me having a conversation about my blood sugar readings and weight changes ... and I say something like ..." well doc, I'm glad my A1c is iimproving, but the readings are still higher than by a lot over what they are 2 hours after a meal, or at bedtime. I've been careful about the carbs I eat, but I do love my fruit and have been having several servings a day." and dear doc replies ..."I'm not worried about the fruit you eat, but I do want you to be careful of the starchy carbs." ....

yes, well ... what I found is that I can only eat fruit as part of a meal and not as a snack. So, no more apple and peanut butter as a TV-prime time snack or a mid-afternoon snack to hold me over for dinner, even with some nuts or cheese with them. So now I put fruit into my morning porridge or shake for 1 serving. And for my 2nd serving I put the fruit into my salad or as a dessert right with my dinner, but not on it's own.

Try that ... maybe it will help you also to have your banana and eat it also.
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    Yes, I do see I have be careful about my fruits. Especially higher sugar varieties. I am going to try having these with meals that are otherwise very low carb, like salads. A green salad with egg white or shrimp, vinagrette and then a fruit on the side. Or apple slices with cheese or peanut butter for a light meal. This sounds very much like what you do. I just have to measure the fruit honestly. I have been trying to eat them earlier in the day also, so I am more active. I have to take a few days of sugar readings and see if that is working.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    "yes, well ... what I found is that I can only eat fruit as part of a meal and not as a snack. So, no more apple and peanut butter as a TV-prime time snack or a mid-afternoon snack to hold me over for dinner, even with some nuts or cheese with them. So now I put fruit into my morning porridge or shake for 1 serving. And for my 2nd serving I put the fruit into my salad or as a dessert right with my dinner, but not on it's own."

Niokion, I found the same thing with the apple and peanut butter in the evening. I have my morning banana with my cereal, or if I'm going for a bike ride, I'll either eat a piece of fruit before, or bring it along.
  • nichole0483
    nichole0483 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm looking for fellow diabetic friends. I could use many works of wisdom and advice!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Welcome. Just post here any help you need, and someone will have the answer for you.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I find 1 banana a day is fine. Mango does not spike me at all, nor does Avocado. I do eat lots of berries too. Actually, a lot of my diet is fruit.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    I love fruit but do best to eat it say before vigorous exercise or in the morning when you are going to be active. I also eat it with part of a meal. When I eat bananas i only eat 1/2 at at time and have another fruit that is lower in sugar...also at work if I take an apple, I only eat 1/2 there because I don't move much..desk job. It's the moving after I eat it that makes the difference. Hope that helps!!
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    I have noticed some minor improvement with these two actions. As suggested I eat bananas with other food, but mostly protein, not in cereal (too bad really, because I love them in cereal). I also do not eat too many fruits long time periods from insulin doses. I have to spread carbs generally out more evenly over the day. I'll see how this goes for a couple of weeks.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    I have noticed some minor improvement with these two actions. As suggested I eat bananas with other food, but mostly protein, not in cereal (too bad really, because I love them in cereal). I also do not eat too many fruits long time periods from insulin doses. I have to spread carbs generally out more evenly over the day. I'll see how this goes for a couple of weeks.
    Best wishes and let us know how it goes!! I love bananas in cereal or anyway too...they are really hard on my blood sugar..I have been embracing blueberries :)
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    Jane, I've been eating moe blueberries this year myself. I have an easy "treat". I toss some berries with a small dish of sugar free vanilla pudding. Love it.
  • topathemorning
    topathemorning Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Get Richard Bernstein's books and eat to your meter. There's quite a few youtube videos done by him. He's a type 1 diabetic, MD and Engineer who figured out lots and shares it once a month on a phone call. He's in his 80's and what I'd consider a national treasure!
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    Jane, I've been eating moe blueberries this year myself. I have an easy "treat". I toss some berries with a small dish of sugar free vanilla pudding. Love it.
    Excellent! Blueberries are one of my faves!!
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    could just be an adjustment to new dosage if stays this way tell your doctor may need the larger dose. i did this with fluid tablets i was on one a day it was removed and i went up 12 pounds and had pain problems in my legs so went back on half dose seems to work