Best probiotic for bloat/constipation

Options
agentventi
agentventi Posts: 84 Member
What do you suggest? I have a lot of colon issues going on. Extremely sluggish to the point i am facing possible surgery. In the meantime I am trying to get my system healthy again.

Replies

• tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had some gut issues and started taking a soil based probiotic and lots of fermented foods like raw sauerkraut and I found those changes very helpful. Digestive enzymes can help too.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Trenev is likely the best probiotic out there. It is quite expensive, though, and must be shipped cold so just bear that in mind. I only take it periodically and usually not every day. I also like Prescript Assist which contains prebiotics as well which is good. I would completely agree with the above poster that fermented foods are fantastic to get digestion going and are very cost effective especially is you make them at home. Kombucha, sauerkraut and other fermented veg, you could even try fermenting lemons. You might also want to up the resistant starch intake to feed those little bacterial friends. Tigernuts are a great source, or cooked and then cooled starches like potatoes, white rice, etc. When I make white potatoes I peel a whole bag at once, dice them up and boil them. Then I put them in the fridge to cool overnight and begin using them the next day. Much of the starch "gelatinizes" into resistant starch which is not metabolized by the body but beneficial bacteria love them.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The winner hands down is homemade sauerkraut. " 2 ounces of home fermented sauerkraut had more probiotics than a bottle of 100 count probiotic capsules. Translated this means one 16 ounce of sauerkraut is equal to 8 bottles of probiotics." http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Something to consider: with your problem have you been intentionally consuming more fibre, especially insoluble fibre? That's the unfortunate advice that most of us get. I'm not against fermented foods, or probiotics, or enzymes but the best solution for me was to eliminate fibre (don't mind my Canadian spelling). The more I can eliminate (for awhile I ate no plant foods, and best digestive health EVER) plant foods, the better I feel. Might not be the case for you but I still think it's worth looking at the fibre along with the other suggestions offered. I recommend reading "The Fiber Menace" by Konstantin Monastyrsky.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Isn't it in testing how we are all so different. For me it was all about gut health and restoring my gut biome.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would agree that fiber can backfire (pun definitely intended LOL) on you. I have to balance it out by making sure that I'm consuming plenty of gut healing substances like gelatin/collagen and also some adapogens like maca, ashwagandha, etc seem to help. I do much better with cooked or fermented fiberous foods. Too many raw fiber rich foods just aggravate my system. You certainly do not want to get things moving too fast, or else all the gains you may have made in healing your microbiome may be lost.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Insoluble fibre actually slows things down and creates perfect conditions for poor gut biome. The fibrous foods tend to build up and block the flow. Okay, I'm going to get gross here but bowel movements should be small and effortless (and the outputs from our guts shouldn't be overly gassy nor stinky) and the only way I get that is with a diet very very low in fibre (best results have been with zero fibre). I think I'm very lucky in that my digestive system heals very fast when I get rid of the fibre; from the experiences I've seen other people often have a harder time healing their gut. I didn't find much benefit from the many probiotics that I've tried, nor my homemade fermented veggies. I've never tried enzymes but have heard great things from other people in regards to ox bile supplements.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic. The past 2 months I started having stomach pains and digestive issues. That is the same time I upped my fiber. Now I am going to reduce the fiber to see if it goes away. I thought fiber might be the culprit. :wink:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Reducing fibre should really help, and even getting close to eliminating it (there are still quite a few plant foods that can be eaten that don't contribute very much fibre), but for many people doing that gradually is recommended since your guts are right now used to compensating for the large amounts of fibre. Strangely for me, I only have a few days of discomfort when I get rid of fibre, and I don't personally like a weaning off approach. I struggle too much if I don't make a dietary change immediate (as in with uncontrollable cravings and BED). It's like getting off of drugs, I have severe withdrawals but cold turkey makes it over much faster.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    The winner hands down is homemade sauerkraut. " 2 ounces of home fermented sauerkraut had more probiotics than a bottle of 100 count probiotic capsules. Translated this means one 16 ounce of sauerkraut is equal to 8 bottles of probiotics." http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/

I'm inspired to make my own sauerkraut, as I've been looking for ways to improve my gut flora (been sick a lot). I'll be starting a batch today!

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Update-Since my last post, I cut drastically the insoluble fiber in my diet. I stopped having stomach pains.
    I am eating more soluble fiber (leafy greens, veggies etc) My plan is to find a healthy balance between both types of fibers.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    You do not "need" any fibre as far as health goes. But as long as you are overall healthy, just keeping insoluble fibre as low as possible will likely work well for you. You don't have to "balance" it. Trial and error and keeping a detailed food diary should help; keeping in mind that digestive reactions might take a day or two to manifest.

I'm glad that you have had improvements already. It makes one wonder about all that "eat loads of fibre" advice that is so heavily promoted. Unfortunately information that doesn't support the current dietary agenda gets ignored, dismissed, ridiculed.

I've been completely fibre free now for 10 days and am finally getting back to feeling well. I notice immediate improvements in digestion, ability to feel full on much less food, increased energy level, better sleep (in fewer hours), and a MUCH happier mental state.
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-D, and my gastro gave me Phillips Colon Care. It's a one a day. Also search the net for Dr Barbara Bolin. She is an IBS expert and offers fantastic articles. Good luck with your surgery
  • GrokRockStar
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My homemade kraut ain't looking too healthy, not sure what I did wrong :/ Back to square one *sigh*
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Maybe got too much air? Not enough salt? You can usually scrape off any mild and what is below is fine.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Maybe got too much air? Not enough salt? You can usually scrape off any mild and what is below is fine.

I didn't seal the jar tight enough. My second batch looks promising, thanks!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I sometimes got mold on the top of mine, didn't affect underneath.... gasses do need to escape so careful with that tight seal.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    It was a little mold on top, but I scraped it off, and my batch was delish, so now I get to perfect it.
  • wanderinjack
    Options
    Glad to here it! I usually use jars with bail type lids. I get them for a great price at Marshalls.