Any fellow nurses out there?

Options
cbryantrn
cbryantrn Posts: 9 Member
I need ideas for quick snacks. I'm stalling on my weight loss. Some days I don't get to eat breakfast or lunch till 3pm. On busy days I grab a cheese stick or a few macadamia nuts to hold me over till I can actually eat. We all know that sometimes we don't have time to pee much less eat. Anybody got some ideas? I need to cut out nuts, but we aren't able to eat at nurses station. Any ideas are appreciated.

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would consider switching your eating windows around so that you can be fasting while working...eating before and/or after... I typically fast through midday and love not having to be bothered to stop and focus on food, etc.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not a nurse, but for quick bites and curbing hunger between meals I have been using hard boiled eggs with a bit of salt. They really help keep me going for a few hours. I've also made a few scrambled egg patties with melted cheese, cooled them off and wrapped them into individual snack sizes. Hot or cold, they work great. Also, coffee with lots of whipping cream has bought me hours of no hunger. I keep cream at work just in case. Lastly consider pre making fat protein shakes. I made two this week and fattened them up healthy chia seeds, coconut oil and a bit of cream.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Jerky sticks like these:

http://www2.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=829

Or how about these:

http://www.ketobars.com/collections/frontpage/products/keto-bars-10-pack

Not sure if they would melt in your pocket or not though.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I keep coffee with hwc, or butter, at hand, and sip it throughout the day (I keep it in a "Yeti" cup and it's stays warm enough for me to drink it). Keeps me satisfied through my eight hour shift in an outpatient surgery clinic. I don't eat until I get off around 2pm. If I had to bring something it would be meat slices wrapped around cheese, tuna fish in a lettuce wrap, or things like that for a fairly easy grab.

• RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just ranted about this the other day, I so feel your pain.

I keep individual cheese slices in my pocket (not the Kraft American Cheese but little cheddar slices made by Land O'Lakes.) Do not, however, make the mistake of putting Babybel in your scrubs pocket because the wax covering will melt and get over everything! Hormel makes little packets of pepperoni that are small, convenient and most importantly not messy.

I look for small things that I can easily swallow in two bites while either hiding in the supply closet or med room because who has time for lunches and bathroom breaks??? Since I'm a nurse I usually don't have a ton of time or energy to prep food ahead of time, so I buy cheap things at the local grocery store/Wal-mart. They're probably not the best choice but it works for me. :smile:
  • cbryantrn
    cbryantrn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I already use some, but sometimes it's rough. I bring all my food/snacks to work but have some pretty good options from what I was doing.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I keep snacks in the pocket of my scrub pants ;) tomorrow I have some slivered almonds.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Some things you can put in your pocket, others you can grab and eat quick- cheese, jerky, hard boiled eggs, fat bombs, deli meat wrapped around cheese or cream cheese, peanut butter, olives...these are my staples for the times I don't get to actually sit down to eat some real food. It happens. Just check for uneaten snacks before you throw your scrubs in the wash...