Supplements

Options
I'm very new to this world of weight training...
But I'm loving it so far!
I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on pre/post workout supplements or just suggestions on any supplements that may have helped you to lose weight and tone up.
Thank you!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    It's going to be mostly personal preference. There isn't that much that is necessary and from my perspective it none of which will necessarily help with the weight loss as that's a matter of calories more than anything else.

I do use protein powder on occasion but I don't do the whole need it right after lifting or anything. I use it because some days I struggle just to get 80 grams of protein and it's easy to even drink at work as we can't just be walking around eating in retail. Food is better but sometimes that 18-20+ grams in one go is helpful (pending type of powder). I have a pre-workout but I mostly lift after work at 11 pm and don't use it for then. It was free with the protein powder purchase, hence why I even have it as I mostly just use coffee or the occasion energy drink. I've looked at some inter-workout stuff (BCAA and such) but haven't tried anything at this time because it's not really a need to have for me. I don't have a lifting belt either, so there is plenty of things others use that I have not quite gotten to yet.

For weight loss, I'd still say focus more on the calories and lifting weights during will help with the body shape. Good luck.
  • Michelle9912
    Michelle9912 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same as the post above, i use protein supplements to help me meet my protein targets. I do track and try to meet my macro targets and frequently fall short in macros. I have a mix of supps. I use quest bars, which is my preferred as they have relativly high protein and fiber; low carbs and calories. If i need more calories before a long run that i do post lifting i will use the cliff builder protein bar- relativly high calories as sugar. I also use bipro unflavored protein powder and add to oatmeal and yogurt. The other powder i use is optimum whey that i typically add to a skim milk. It mixes well and tastes good and has been independently tested and found to actually Contain the ingredients it says it does on the label. Hope you find this helpful

• Onetwo_bre
    Onetwo_bre Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been using NCAAs for a while now, and I really think that taking the aminos before the workout aid with my recovery. It could be all in my head, but it is okay if it is. I'll keep doing taking them, since this is a mental game anywho. I am still working on finding a solid protein I like that I feel is an appropriate ratio of protein. I don't take pre-workout, although I have been wanting to try it. I am probably going to work on getting more of a "stack" as I am focusing more on weight training than running now.

:)
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lift very heavy 5-6 times a week and am very active. I use Liporidex stack with great success. MAX15 (energy, fat burning, appetite suppression) and PM (non-stim) fat burners as well, PRE/T Pre-workout-gives me amazing energy and pump without too much caffeine and Post workout-POS/T, which is great for muscle recovery and even has internal sunscreen. These products rock! I don't know what i would do without them. I also use Optimal Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate protein and basic multi and fish oil.
  • _Barbie_What_
    _Barbie_What_ Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! So helpful!!

Follow my journey on Snapchat: barbie.fit
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Supps are definitely a personal choice. I take basic vitamins plus BCAAs, glutamine, CLA, Carnitine, preworkout and creatine. I use protein powder about three times a week because I have a shake for breakfast. I could eat food instead but it's a sweet treat for me as I make it more of a smoothie. I will occasionally cycle a fat burner in there.
  • jannaivey
    jannaivey Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've been using C4 Extreme for my pre-workout boost, but it's very intense so some people don't like it as much as other pre-workout supplements. I also drink my protein shake that's loaded with BCAA's, glutamine, etc. within a half an hour after working out. If you're drinking the right post-workout protein, you'll be amazed at how much it helps with muscle recovery and soreness- especially with regards to a long term training plan that's being executed consistently. Plus, your body needs the boost of protein right after working out to help rebuild your muscles and provide needed amino acids to them. I also take 4-6g of CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid) daily, split up between meals. It's one of the few supplements that has been scientifically proven to not only help reduce body fat and gain lean muscle, but to keep your muscle last longer if you don't work out for a brief period of time. They also haven't found any side effects as a result of taking it, which is always a relief. There aren't many supplements out there that the same can be said for. If you want to read up more on the study, there's a great article on bodybuilding.com about it that I've included.

Good luck!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/reform12.htm
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer, I will not recommend supplements to clients and I do not consume them myself other than a multivitamin. If you chose to use any I'd recommend intense scrutiny and research. Supplement geek is a good jumping off point.
  • kelsgrif84
    kelsgrif84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whey protein, amino acids, and creatine. I usually use cellucore or optimum nutrition products. This is what works for me. I train 5-6 days a week. I am new to weight training, so I don't lift too heavy right now, but I do vigorous calisthenics. Do some research and with a little trial and error, you'll find what works best for you. There is plenty of research to support supplement use.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Rubyayn wrote: »
    As a personal trainer, I will not recommend supplements to clients and I do not consume them myself other than a multivitamin. If you chose to use any I'd recommend intense scrutiny and research. Supplement geek is a good jumping off point.

Why? I am very curious. I have never been convinced that supplements are any better than eating food, and would like to hear your thoughts on this.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I don't consume any because I don't personally think they're necessary and definitely not a suitable replacement for a healthy diet. I would not recommend them even if I did though because personal trainer liability insurance does not cover if someone reacts poorly to a supplement I recommended. Even an all natural meal replacement shake could be contraindicated for someone with a health issue. I could be sued and lose everything. It's out of my scope of practice to give a specific diet plan to a client. I'd question the credibility of a trainer that did. General help with calories and macros is all we are qualified to assist with.
  • doccnm
    doccnm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't consume any because I don't personally think they're necessary and definitely not a suitable replacement for a healthy diet. I would not recommend them even if I did though because personal trainer liability insurance does not cover if someone reacts poorly to a supplement I recommended. Even an all natural meal replacement shake could be contraindicated for someone with a health issue. I could be sued and lose everything. It's out of my scope of practice to give a specific diet plan to a client. I'd question the credibility of a trainer that did. General help with calories and macros is all we are qualified to assist with.

You sound like a smart level headed trainer, Rubyayn! I'm a NP and cannot tell you how many times I hear trainers pushing clients in my gym to do things they are either not yet capable of or resistant to. Once a client was complaining to the trainer, "my back is really bothering me" and the trainer said "PUSH past it!". A real idiot (IMHO). We should all work together and make referrals for expert guidance.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    doccnm wrote: »

You sound like a smart level headed trainer, Rubyayn! I'm a NP and cannot tell you how many times I hear trainers pushing clients in my gym to do things they are either not yet capable of or resistant to. Once a client was complaining to the trainer, "my back is really bothering me" and the trainer said "PUSH past it!". A real idiot (IMHO). We should all work together and make referrals for expert guidance.

Thank you! Unfortunately, it's a highly unregulated industry with a few bad apples. I have a low back injury myself, which is part of the reason I'm in this career now. Trainers aren't physical therapists, but it's our job to help keep clients injury free and functional. The whole point of exercise is to improve your everyday life.

• mddomain
    mddomain Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Rubyayn, I'm just curious...are you ACE-certified? I'm just wondering because I am currently studying for the ACE personal trainer exam, and everything you just said about trainers not recommending supplements and diet plans is what I'm learning in their study course. Just wondering if you went through ACE since it sounds so similar to what i'm learning...
  • daynaxxanne
    daynaxxanne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use Cellucor for pre-workout and protein powder but those are the only supplements I take. My boyfriend and I both use them and neither of us have any issues. They're less harsh, however, I find that if I take pre-workout on an empty stomach or I drink it too fast I get all tingly and it took a few days to get used to. I just started using the protein powder more recently and I use it as a post workout recovery thing to help build lean muscle.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    mddomain wrote: »
    Rubyayn, I'm just curious...are you ACE-certified? I'm just wondering because I am currently studying for the ACE personal trainer exam, and everything you just said about trainers not recommending supplements and diet plans is what I'm learning in their study course. Just wondering if you went through ACE since it sounds so similar to what i'm learning...

I'm sorry, I missed your question somehow. I'm certified through World International Training Schools. The course is offered at the state college near me. It included practicals and an internship, so I went with it for the hands on. ACE is a great program! I plan on using them for my CEU's. :)