Has anyone tried the blood type diet?

Options
jparks527
jparks527 Posts: 17 Member
I heard about this last week and started reading up on it. Just wanted to know if it is like the low carb?

Replies

• janekocanpayne
    janekocanpayne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This isn't one, but a series of diets based on what your blood type is. What little I've seen of it could not be qualified as low carb, and certain variants of the diet also appear to be low-fat as well.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/blood-type-diet
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    One thing you could try is to restrict yourself to the foods for your blood type but still do LCHF.

Pork is on my do not eat list and I don't think I can totally give up bacon. :)

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I did it many, many years ago. I never noticed any positive changes from it. Not like I've gotten from LCHF. It's an interesting concept, though.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    According to my blood type I should be a vegetarian eating no meat and no dairy. Also I'm supposed to tolerate grains extremely well. Since I have celiac disease I don't think that's accurate, lol. Basically I eat the total opposite of this diet and feel better than ever!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    According to my blood type I should be a vegetarian eating no meat and no dairy. Also I'm supposed to tolerate grains extremely well. Since I have celiac disease I don't think that's accurate, lol. Basically I eat the total opposite of this diet and feel better than ever!

Interesting. I just finished a book called "Gut". Apparently our blood type is determined by the bacteria in our gut (determined within 2 weeks of our birth). So, of course, is celiac disease. I guess not the same gut bacteria!
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Mi e says leafy greens, eggs meat and dairy.....
    I'm cool with that!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Me too. I'm an A (and a celiac). It's not going to work for me. ;)

From Web MD:
    Type O blood: A high-protein diet heavy on lean meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables, and light on grains, beans, and dairy. D'Adamo also recommends various supplements to help with tummy troubles and other issues he says people with type O tend to have.

Type A blood: A meat-free diet based on fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, and whole grains -- ideally, organic and fresh, because D'Adamo says people with type A blood have a sensitive immune system.

Type B blood: Avoid corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Chicken is also problematic, D'Adamo says. He encourages eating green vegetables, eggs, certain meats, and low-fat dairy.

Type AB blood: Foods to focus on include tofu, seafood, dairy, and green vegetables. He says people with type AB blood tend to have low stomach acid. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and smoked or cured meats.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ha! I would be meat free too! No thanks!
    All animal April, here I come! :wink:
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Interesting. I just finished a book called "Gut". Apparently our blood type is determined by the bacteria in our gut (determined within 2 weeks of our birth). So, of course, is celiac disease. I guess not the same gut bacteria!

Not sure where the author(s) get the idea that blood type is determined by gut bacteria or perhaps you misunderstood something. Blood type is genetically determined. Your blood type is set upon conception. You get get one allele (A, B, or O) from your father and another (A, B, or O) from your mother. People can have the following combinations (AA, AO, BB, BO, AB). Both AA and AO result in Type A blood. Both BB or BO are Type B blood. And then of course if you get one A and one B allele you are AB. If the author(s) is/are that confused about blood type, I would not suggest taking diet advice from them :-)
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

bametels wrote: »

Not sure where the author(s) get the idea that blood type is determined by gut bacteria or perhaps you misunderstood something. Blood type is genetically determined. Your blood type is set upon conception. You get get one allele (A, B, or O) from your father and another (A, B, or O) from your mother. People can have the following combinations (AA, AO, BB, BO, AB). Both AA and AO result in Type A blood. Both BB or BO are Type B blood. And then of course if you get one A and one B allele you are AB. If the author(s) is/are that confused about blood type, I would not suggest taking diet advice from them :-)

Thank you for getting my mind in gear! Enders book, I really liked for its clear and fun explanation of how we digest different macro nutrients, discussion about the immune system and lots of other things. It was recommended by my brother, a scientist so.... I re-read after your comment.

My mistakes, not Enders! :( She was talking about the immune system, not blood type. In new born babies, she said, because their immune systems are not well formed, they can, in theory, receive transfusions from any blood type. However, hospitals normally use the mother's blood type since some anti-bodies from her may be transferred to the baby. Also, apparently, after 3 weeks of life, because of bacteria collecting by the baby, "the metabolic products of our gut flora can predict increased risks of allergies, asthma or neurodermatistis in later life."

I also learned why gluten intolerance and celiac disease are far more damaging to our health than lactose intolerance. I have been lactose intolerant for years, but going LCHF, I have discovered a problem with gluten, if I try to cheat with wheat.

Maybe I need to re-read so that I do not confabulate any other bits of information!
  • jparks527
    jparks527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know there is a lot on the list, I am o positive. I am doing some of the foods and drinking a lot less of coffee and started the green tea. My stomach is not hurting so much, I am also taking kelp. Not sure if it is an appetite suppression but I am not so hungry. Taking calcium with magnesium not feeling any different. It mentions seltzer water, don't understand why someone would want that. I love fish so that is a plus. I am going to stay with it for a while to see how it goes.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Bwahahaha. Also type A. Also have major problems with grains, but also am blessed with a robust immune system. So nope.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes and it's what started me on this whole journey.
  • sofiajp
    sofiajp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. And by following it 85-90% of my joint pain disappeared.
  • cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My O- makes LCHF perfect for me, except I'm not supposed to eat pork.
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Read it 10 years ago and wish I'd paid it more heed. It said I was likely to have an intolerance to carbs and would thrive on proteins. And guess what, I now know that to be true. Even at the time, I think it rang true for me. I did play around with reducing/periodically removing wheat from my diet, but never fully committed until last year.
    I think it may have some relevance (for me) at the macro level, but when it comes to specific foods, it's hard to grasp. Why should shiitake mushrooms be bad for me and Swiss Browns good? At that level I'm more sceptical.
    According to the book, my husband is a natural vegetarian - and while he eats meat, he is always happier with lots of vegies.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I had my DNA traced with 23andMe.com, and it turns out I'm descended directly from the Cro-Magnon mammoth hunters of Europe in the last Ice Age, with 3% Neanderthal thrown in for fun. I'm doing a hybrid blend of Paleo, Type O+, and Flat Belly. Take a look at my profile to see what I am doing. 12 lbs. lost in 7 weeks. Good luck everyone!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @vikinglander I used 23andme.com a couple years back. I had a blood type test a few years back too... I'm pretty sure it was A, but I'm not 100% certain if it was A or B. I know my dad was O and my mom was AB, so I guess it could be either A or B.

99.8% of my DNA traces to NW Europe (of which, 33.4% is British and Irish / Celtic, Saxon, Viking origin) and 2.5% from Neanderthal origin (compared with 2.7% average for those of us with European ancestry).

Regardless, the meat-free diet for A's would make blood glucose more challenging to manage and would hinder weight loss. This makes zero sense for me. I'm just going to be blunt: The "Blood Type Diet" is a load of crap. There are much more relevant issues for what diet works best than blood type.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to be blunt: The "Blood Type Diet" is a load of crap. There are much more relevant issues for what diet works best than blood type.

Yep.

Super gimmick.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/NegativeBR/d'adamo.html
    http://skepdic.com/bloodtypediet.html
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »

Wouldn't there also be an OO? I was once told that "O" stands for "Original". Don't know if it's true.