Ugh, reddit

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
There are so many good things about reddit, but it bugs the crap out of me that an unpopular experience/opinion gets downvoted and ignored. It wouldn't even be bad if people would debate it. But, they just vote it away.

Funniest part? The post didn't even say anything different from what had been said. Didn't deny their CICO belief system.

Well, maybe it will get voted back up in time. It's only at a 0 now. But, that's usually a sign that it will get hit a couple more times.

Replies

• Nifesie
    Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Which post are you referring to? I have joined the site recently and will begin this WOE on Monday, but I am curious as to which topic you posted that is getting downvoted? It's not always the members voting, either. I'm a member of other Subs and there are bots that will automatically upvote or downvote for some reason.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/4c3dg5/do_you_have_to_calorie_restrict_to_lose_weight/

I am not the original poster. I'm just one of the people who says you don't [always] need to restrict and that it often takes care of itself. If you go through, anyone who says restriction isn't part of keto, or hints that way, is downvoted.

It's funny, because the FAQ itself says that most people don't need to count calories.

FAQ
    The macronutrient makeup of a ketogenic diet make it very easy to stay in a caloric deficit and lose weight. Most people do not need to count calories on that diet, because they naturally start consuming a healthy amount of calories.

Then there is the claim that it might work for me, but everyone else would eat 3,000-4,000 calories a day. This claim is extremely common (more on here, but I expect that from a calorie counting web forum), but it is extremely rare in practice. People will have one day where they eat that much, or two days, and think that's how much they would want every day. Try it for a week or two. If you're not underweight, there is a very very remote chance that you will find it easy.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Ya, I've only been on reddit for about a year and a half, and it's easy to get frustrated there. I dunno, I like participating, but it's like a love/hate relationship. :)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've been on it a few times, but, truthfully, I didn't even know you could participate.
  • Nifesie
    Nifesie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/4c3dg5/do_you_have_to_calorie_restrict_to_lose_weight/

I am not the original poster. I'm just one of the people who says you don't [always] need to restrict and that it often takes care of itself. If you go through, anyone who says restriction isn't part of keto, or hints that way, is downvoted.

It's funny, because the FAQ itself says that most people don't need to count calories.

FAQ
    The macronutrient makeup of a ketogenic diet make it very easy to stay in a caloric deficit and lose weight. Most people do not need to count calories on that diet, because they naturally start consuming a healthy amount of calories.

Then there is the claim that it might work for me, but everyone else would eat 3,000-4,000 calories a day. This claim is extremely common (more on here, but I expect that from a calorie counting web forum), but it is extremely rare in practice. People will have one day where they eat that much, or two days, and think that's how much they would want every day. Try it for a week or two. If you're not underweight, there is a very very remote chance that you will find it easy.

I think the people don't want newbies to get the idea that they can just go on their urges to eat. Someone who comes onto the diet fresh from the SAD will eat whenever, still feeling the urges to snack when they aren't really hungry. So if you're not keto-adapted, I doubt just eating whenever will do anyone any good.

I'm new to this diet (three days in) and I am consuming 1440 calories a day, or about there. I don't trust myself to just eat whatever because I still have that boredom desire to eat. If I just went by that feeling, yes, I would be consuming 3,000 - 4,000 calories a day, but I wouldn't be losing. Maybe I'd be maintaining or gaining. Who knows?