Good LCHF/Keto Grocery Brands for Mayo, Dressings, Sauces?

caharris7
caharris7 Posts: 14 Member
Hi! I'm stocking up my fridge with some good LCHF/Keto items and was wondering what are some good brands for things such as: Mayo, Salad Dressings (Ranch, Blue Cheese, Caesar), Hollandaise, Reduced Sugar Ketchup, Alfredo Sauce, etc. I can make myself nuts by try to read every single label and most of these have canola oil or sunflower oil. And I'm not one to make them homemade....I'd rather buy something. :)

Do you all just get the lowest-arb brand or the one with the most "Paleo" ingredients? I'd love some recommendations on these things so I can stock up!! Thanks!!

Tomorrow is Day 1 of Keto for me! I'm nervous but ready to try something new and see if this is the new eating lifestyle for me.

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Thrive Market online carries a Paleo avocado-based mayo, Primal Kitchen brand. Label states "not a significant source of carbohydrates, protein..." 12g fat per tablespoon. Made with Avocado oil, organic cage-free eggs and egg yolks, organic vinegar (from a beet source, no grain), sea salt and rosemary extract.

The texture is spot-on for mayo. Pricy though.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Costco in nor California now sells the avocado mayo. If you have a nearby Costco worth a shot.

I make my own dressings, even Whole Foods doesn't have anything. I swear no one sells salad dressings without PUFAs.

• lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    I'm wondering about this too. I probably need to just start making stuff like that.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    I made my own salad dressing this weekend and was so glad I did, the taste was amazing. It was quick, easy and relatively inexpensive, albeit with the short shelf life I'll never get through it all. I highly recommend going homemade with the mayo and dressings so you can control the ingredients and stick with items that you choose to put in your body. I've been avoiding salads for a while because it's been impossible to find anything without sugar, everything is high sugar, low fat in the stores.
  • caharris7
    I made my own salad dressing this weekend and was so glad I did, the taste was amazing. It was quick, easy and relatively inexpensive, albeit with the short shelf life I'll never get through it all. I highly recommend going homemade with the mayo and dressings so you can control the ingredients and stick with items that you choose to put in your body. I've been avoiding salads for a while because it's been impossible to find anything without sugar, everything is high sugar, low fat in the stores.

Exactly! They don't have a long shelf life, and when you are just cooking for one, those homeade options just end up going bad before I can use them. I'm also not putting my traditional salads on my menus b/c I can't find good dressings I can use. Guess I can always do just real blue cheese with Olive Oil instead (that's easy!....I'm all about easy!).
  • caharris7
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Thrive Market online carries a Paleo avocado-based mayo, Primal Kitchen brand. Label states "not a significant source of carbohydrates, protein..." 12g fat per tablespoon. Made with Avocado oil, organic cage-free eggs and egg yolks, organic vinegar (from a beet source, no grain), sea salt and rosemary extract.

The texture is spot-on for mayo. Pricy though.

Yep, I saw that, too. They also sell it on Amazon but man, it's pricey! Sounds like homeade is the way to go. :( Thanks for the suggestion!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Hi @caharris7 I like creamy dressing and tend to throw creme fraiche in everything along with fresh herbs, so the shelf life is crap. But if you're looking for quick, easy, cheap and long lasting, I'd recommend just tossing some olive oil in a jar along with any of the following, depending on your tastes and carb levels, no recipe needed, just taste as you go and try to keep the ratio of oil to non-oil liquids at 3:1
    Lemon juice or any other citrus juice
    Your favourite vinegar
    Dried herbs
    Garlic
    Shallots
    Chillies
    Mustard
    Salt & pepper

And shake it up or blend with an emulsion blender, or toss it in a regular blender.
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    I use Duke's mayonnaise. For my veggie dip - full fat sour cream with some Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning. I wish I could find a good sugar free ketchup but have been subbing pico/guac for now. For my salads, it is usually EVOO and vinegar with salt and pepper.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited March 2016
    Google "2 minute blue cheese dressing"
    A great recipe for home made blue cheese dressing.
    You can do swaps as well. Like yogurt for the sour creme.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    The best I've found so far for store bought stuff is:

Whole Foods' 365 brand mayo -- uses non-GMO canola, though, but it's the only brand that doesn't have sugar or soybean oil and doesn't cost an arm and a leg that I've been able to get my hands on (I did find a brand that uses sunflower oil, but it's like $10 for a 6oz jar; and of course, Primal Kitchen has the avocado one, but it's not available in any of the stores I shop at, and can't justify a Thrive account right now)

Cindy's Kitchen brand dressings -- does use non-GMO sunflower seed oil, though, but again, it's the best I've found without added sugar and without soybean oil

(I'm less picky about the PUFA content of mayo and dressing, because they're a relatively small part of my diet.)

Good luck getting ketchup, though. The signature taste of ketchup comes from the blend of tomato, vinegar, and sugar flavors, so nixing the sugar is going to result in a ketchup with more bite and acidity. There are a couple of Paleo ketchup recipes out there, but if you want that familiar taste, you're likely out of luck. Even home made requires a fair bit of sugar to get that taste, though does allow you to use honey instead of HFCS or other heavily refined sugars. I use this recipe when I need to get that classic flavor (ie - for my ultra-picky son, I don't eat it, personally, anymore), but I only use about half of the called-for sugars and use honey instead of corn syrup -- http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Heinz-Ketchup-Copycat-Recipe.html . A quick search also pulled up this one, but I haven't personally tried it yet -- https://notinmoderation.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/nailed-it-ryan-wilders-wicked-easy-paleo-ketchup/ -- the rest of the recipes that I've found that have been the most promising that don't have a sugar in them (ie - honey, coconut sugar, date paste, bananas, etc) have included fennel to get the sweet flavor, which tends to make it kind of licorice in flavor.

The homemade route is arguably your best bet for more full Paleo compliance. I highly recommend this recipe/method for mayo -- http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

You can use refined avocado oil or light tasting olive oil to get the more classic mayo flavor, without the PUFAs. You can then add buttermilk, dill, and a few other spices to get ranch dressing.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    I make my own mayo, it's super easy if you have an immersion blender.

I don't do ketchup so I can't help there.

I know a lot of people like Walden Farms, they care calorie free, but I prefer to stick with full fat regular salad dressings, the body needs fat to absorb the nutrients in your salad.

Alfredo sauce is also pretty easy to make at home.

Honestly, I like to make from scratch as often as I can. While I do follow a LCHF diet, I try to stick to a Paleo/Primal diet, and don't really do a lot of packaged foods.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    Costco in nor California now sells the avocado mayo. If you have a nearby Costco worth a shot.

That's good to know!! My local Costco is great about honoring requests for products, so I'll put in a request and see what happens
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Mayo - Best Foods
    Blue Cheese - Litehouse
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Plus one for Duke's mayo, mostly sold in the South but also available online. No sugar added, soybean oil, zero carbs. I bought a jar yesterday at Publix , which is part of the Kroger chain. I'm following a very strict eating plan these days for digestive health reasons but I balked at the recommendation that I make my own mayo. Call me wimpy but "raw eggs" and "digestive health" don't sound as though they should be used in the same sentence.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Plus one for Duke's mayo, mostly sold in the South but also available online. No sugar added, soybean oil, zero carbs. I bought a jar yesterday at Publix , which is part of the Kroger chain. I'm following a very strict eating plan these days for digestive health reasons but I balked at the recommendation that I make my own mayo. Call me wimpy but "raw eggs" and "digestive health" don't sound as though they should be used in the same sentence.

You do know that pretty much all mayo is made with raw egg yolks, right? Egg is like the second thing on the ingredient list of Duke's Mayo.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member

You do know that pretty much all mayo is made with raw egg yolks, right? Egg is like the second thing on the ingredient list of Duke's Mayo.

Commercial brands of mayo use pasteurized eggs so all bacteria has been killed! You can buy pasteurized eggs in the shell in some stores if you want to make homemade mayo safer but if you are in a more rural area like myself they aren't available.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Commercial brands of mayo use pasteurized eggs so all bacteria has been killed! You can buy pasteurized eggs in the shell in some stores if you want to make homemade mayo safer but if you are in a more rural area like myself they aren't available.

I only pointed it out because her specific concern was raw eggs, she didn't say anything about pasteurized vs not.

Truth be told, I always thought that any eggs purchased/sold commercially had to be pasteurized, the only way to get them none-pasteurized around here is to get them straight from the farm, so I've learned something new today.

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I avoid canola oils in my mayo. I tried making my own, but haven't hit on anything that comes out 'right' so I am exploring commercially-available mayos again. Sir Kensington's is delicious. I got mine off Thrive Market: https://thrivemarket.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sir+kensington where I get twice the amount that my Stop & Shop bottles hold, and for $2 less.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

Publix and Kroger are two different chains. Kroger owns Fry's and Harris Teeter in the South. Publix is a competitor.

Specifically, the required part of the egg for mayo is the yolk, which is actually fairly easily digested. The rough part is the raw white, which isn't necessary for the emulsification, so you could separate it out when making your mayo.

If you're concerned about salmonella, you can either buy pasteurized eggs or pasteurize them yourself with a quick boiling water bath (not long enough to actually cook the egg). Also, consider that you're about as likely to contract salmonella from your produce and other sources as you are from eggs (which is to say -- it's not likely unless you're dealing with some pretty unsanitary conditions).
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Double that. The salmonella isn't from the inside of the egg. Eggs are hermetically sealed incubation chambers. It's the outside of the egg. Just like the outside of the cantaloupe. Okay, then you open the food, and introduce the rind/shell/skin to the inside ingredients and now the bacteria is spread through the whole thing (and anything else that knife touches). Always wash your food before you start cutting it!

/psa