Hydration Set up for Bike

Options
2»

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    For an Oly I keep it simple. 1 liquids bottle in a torpedo mount, tools in a bottle off the back. I'm pretty much only going to be on the bike for an hour so I'm not going to get through much more than 1 bottle. Maybe stash a handheld in transition to take out on the run so I can get some liquids right off the bike.

For 70.3s and 140.6s I'll either run 2 off the back (1 having tools) plus the torpedo, or 1 off the back/1 down tube (tools), and the torpedo. Just use the torpedo mount for keeping whatever I'm pitching/picking up at aid stations.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    On my P3 I use an xlab torpedo and I agree that's all you'll likely need for an Oly. I do have a profile double carrier in the back and use one side for my tools. Hint: If you go with a back carrier, swap out the cages for gorilla cages. The cages that come standard with those things are notorious for launching bottles. Sucks for you AND the guy behind you. I'll take a bike pic in a minute.
  • solieco1
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tl0x4qxjvwwt.jpg
    da62k9tl5das.jpg
    Hydration set up without torpedo strapped on.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Danny, I think I still have an old 2-cage mount like the one above (posted by solieco1). If you want it, it's yours... just pay for the shipping. It's very similar to this, but not sure if I have the actual cages still or not. -

profile-design-rm1-rear-hydration-system-with-c02-mount-10.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Danny, I think I still have an old 2-cage mount like the one above (posted by solieco1). If you want it, it's yours... just pay for the shipping. It's very similar to this, but not sure if I have the actual cages still or not. -

profile-design-rm1-rear-hydration-system-with-c02-mount-10.jpg

thanks man, i appreciate that.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Gatorskin tires are great if you are prone to flats and the reminder to carry a tube with a long valve for race tires is a good one. My brother had a new P3 and double flatted about 30 miles into an Ironman and lost almost 2 hr waiting for a valve extension and just made the bike cutoff. For hot, long rides, I carry a bottle of water and one of sport drink on my tubes plus the aero bottle. I'm prone to sunburn and wear coolers, so the water gets used for cooling if I don't need the fluids.
  • solieco1
    Options
    Oooh good tip above too. If you're riding deep dish wheels, run by your LBS and get a valve extender to keep with you. Cheap and it will save you if you have to borrow a tube. I had one very bad day as well before I learned that one :(
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    racing wheels might not happen until next years tri-season
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Another x-lab torpedo user here.

For 70.3 and 140.6 I would use a single down tube bottle cage and a Single rear mounted bottle. I found though with the linger races the bottle hand ups were at about the hour mark so I'd end up just skipping the first to drink everything I was carrying and then pick up one at a time with nothing behind me. Tools and a tube were in a ready loaded jersey I threw on over the tri suit in T1.

For oly I would have a single bottle only maybe 2 gels and no spare kit. If I get a puncture or mechanica it's race over anyway so not to fussed.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Gatorskin tires are great if you are prone to flats and the reminder to carry a tube with a long valve for race tires is a good one. My brother had a new P3 and double flatted about 30 miles into an Ironman and lost almost 2 hr waiting for a valve extension and just made the bike cutoff. For hot, long rides, I carry a bottle of water and one of sport drink on my tubes plus the aero bottle. I'm prone to sunburn and wear coolers, so the water gets used for cooling if I don't need the fluids.

There is zero point to paying extra money for a P3, and then running Gatorskins.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Oooh good tip above too. If you're riding deep dish wheels, run by your LBS and get a valve extender to keep with you. Cheap and it will save you if you have to borrow a tube. I had one very bad day as well before I learned that one :(

I always carry a spare with an 80mm stem, but also have an extender just in case.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Or just pre-mount a valve extender. Seriously though please don't race on Gatorskins. You take all the advantages you get from a tri bike, or race wheels, or an aero helmet away in one action by adding extra rolling resistance. Just learn to change a flat
  • jds916
    jds916 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a P2. I've raced 2 ironman, and many halfs/oly. For long training/race, I use the down tube speedfill (about 1000mL). I also have 2 read cages on the XWING with Gorilla cages. There's a small benot (better than that gross pink one in the pic) that fits my phone (for training) and snacks as needed. I have a rear bag for a tire, co2, valve extenders and the like. I personally follow a low carb diet, so even on an ironman, I only need a handful of almonds, pack of pb, and a thick concentrate of UCAN in on of my rear bottles. But with that much water on the downtube, there's plenty of places for more snacks elsewhere :D
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    jds916 wrote: »
    I have a P2. I've raced 2 ironman, and many halfs/oly. For long training/race, I use the down tube speedfill (about 1000mL). I also have 2 read cages on the XWING with Gorilla cages. There's a small benot (better than that gross pink one in the pic) that fits my phone (for training) and snacks as needed. I have a rear bag for a tire, co2, valve extenders and the like. I personally follow a low carb diet, so even on an ironman, I only need a handful of almonds, pack of pb, and a thick concentrate of UCAN in on of my rear bottles. But with that much water on the downtube, there's plenty of places for more snacks elsewhere :D

My setup is very similar to hers. Speedfill on the down tube for hydration, XWING with gorilla cages, mini bag in the XWING, and a mezzo bag under the XWING if I'm on a longer training ride so I can have a couple of tubes. When it comes to race time I pull the mezzo bag off.