The Daily Little Update Thread...

Options
arguablysamson
arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
...for all to update whenever they need to shoot out some insignificant piece of personal news!

Replies

• arguablysamson
    Options
    Just been shopping. Everybody is going nuts on sweets from the pastel Easter colors!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Hey! You're back!

Pics shall be forthcoming!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Easter snacks, we are making homemade peanut butter cups, nutella cups and chocolate covered oreos on Monday. Needless to say I will probably have to taste test one or two before my meal time. But no more than 2, I promise o:)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Who else has the heater turned way up tonight?
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    My heater has been turned up since November.

Got an early start on the flock today, 15 baby chicks all sitting under their heat lamp to stay warm. They'll be in the brooder for a couple of weeks and then outside to meet the rest of the chickens and the resident goat. This batch is all laying birds so they will be around for a while, but the meat birds come in a couple of weeks and their fate doesn't look as good.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I need to order some chickens! We've usually had laying hens but haven't last two years. My spring garden is comming up though! Garlic, onions, beets, carrotts, parsnips, radishes, peas, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, swiss chard, mustard, collards, and some other greens! Yum yum. I've got 5 beehives going (had to order some, they died) and some fruit trees too.
  • arguablysamson
    edited March 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    @arguablysamson - I don't know if you're country folk but I totally dug the guitars hanging on the wall of your latest Youtube video. Either you're a guitar salesman or you collect and play a bunch of them. Either way, I love all things guitar. I wish I'd kept up with my lessons when I was in third grade. But the strings were really hurting my fingertips and I gave up on it. Too bad.

I learned to play in maybe 6th grade and grandpa and I just taught McKayla (2nd grade) to play. It's tough when you're young and your hands aren't quite big enough to really get around the neck. It does take a while to toughen the fingers, but a kid would have a harder time. I remember mine breaking open and bleeding.

That vid was shot at the family home, so those are dad's guitars. I still play, but not often at all. Dad's got all sorts of stuff lying around in that place. Some guitars we've gotten rid of, some higher dollar ones recently. We do deal them on the side. Dad gets discontented rather quickly. lol Me, I can be happy with a Conn and play rhythm and be happy.
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    Still have about month and a half before our garden can be planted. Yours sounds great! We have plans to replace some apple trees that the deer ruined last year. Just waiting for the weathers cooperation.

Love living in the country, will never move back to city.
  • blambo61
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    Still have about month and a half before our garden can be planted. Yours sounds great! We have plans to replace some apple trees that the deer ruined last year. Just waiting for the weathers cooperation.

Love living in the country, will never move back to city.

I do live in the city but fortunately have a big yard (.42 acres). I really wish I had at a minimum 1 acre though. I would like a lot more fruit trees and I would like to do a bigger garden and have some goats, pig, and other stuff. My garden is about 56'x14' is all. Half of it is planted for a spring garden and the other half will be a summer garden. Not much room for melons and squash or corn. I also used to rent a garden plot close by that was 100'x40'. It was only $40.00/yr and came with water included. I couldn't keep the deer out of it though so gave up on that one. I had a nylon mesh fence around it that worked for 3 or 4 years and then they discovered they could easily break through it. I could turn more of the yard to garden but don't want to mess up the landscaping (I bought it already put in). I've got 1 bing cherry tree, 2 peaches, 1 apricot, 1 plumb, 1 apple, 1 nectarine, and 1 pear tree. I've also got some grapes, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, currents, elderberries, and rhubarb.

When I retire, I will probably try to get a place with more yard in a more rural setting if possible.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Lipka 1le

What part of the country do you live in?
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Lipka 1le

I live in Michigan, north of lansing. Property is 15 acres with another 10 acres about 10miles away. My biggest set back is the deer, I have tried every trick (with the exception of heavy chemicals due to our animals ) and nothing works.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    How do you make your homemade peanut butter cups?
  • blambo61
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Lipka 1le

I live in Michigan, north of lansing. Property is 15 acres with another 10 acres about 10miles away. My biggest set back is the deer, I have tried every trick (with the exception of heavy chemicals due to our animals ) and nothing works.

I've read that a double fence about 6 or 8 feet apart will work. They apparently don't have great depth perception and won't take the chance of jumping over it even if it isn't real tall is what I've read. Google it to see if it sounds like it might work for you.

Sounds like you have a nice place! If the ground isn't frozen though, it isn't too early to plant stuff like peas and spinach. If you see any volunteer stuff coming up or it is greening up a little, then your spring garden can be growing. I sometimes will plant my spring garden in early winter in Nov after it is cold enough that it won't sprout but the ground not covered with snow yet. That way I get the earliest spring garden possible. You have to plant a lot of seed due to losses and also deeper than normal. That works here but don't know if it would work where your at since your in a colder climate. I'm in Norther Utah at 4500ft elevation. I think it is growing region 6. If I don't plant early, I'm usually late due to not getting a dry spring weekend when I have time to do something and by the time I get going, I have 8 in tall volunteer onions and other stuff already growing which tells me I'm late.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Did some filling in for someone at work...and got a free Domino's Pizza. So yeah, pretty good!

And did someone mention homemade peanut butter cups?! :p
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    Temper chocolate an Put in into a silicone candymold half way up side. Mix 1cup powder sugar with1.5 cups peanut butter(I use the creamy and but u can use crunchy ). Put the peanut butter mix in candy mold leaving enough room to cover peanut butter with more chocolate. Put in fridge to set. Take out of moldand try to East just one!
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Uh oh. You guys didn't eat up all the Easter candy without taking pics, did you? You did. Didn't you.

I was good only had 1 nutella cup and 1peanut butter cup. All the rest went to family as their Easter gifts. I need to start taking pics I'm bad at that.