Whole30 2016

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
It's time to get back to basics, as I've fallen off the wagon, and have been miserable since. I know what I need to do, just have to get off my *kitten* and do it!

I couldn't find the Whole30 group from last year, so if there is a newly formed group, please let me know, otherwise, i'll just post here.
I plan on starting fresh, so I'll spend the weekend ridding my cupboards of the non-Primal/Paleo stuff and preparing some yummy meals.

And if anyone is considering doing a Whole30 (& beyond), I could use the company!
Thanks, and Grok on!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    As you know, I'm doing something even more "restrictive" (it's actually awesome, not restrictive imo) so I'm cheering you on! I don't have a stop date though if I ever get my health and weight to an ideal point I might add in a few plants that I can tolerate and be more Paleo once again.
  • GrokRockStar
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I commend you for going VLC! I remember being at my very best (mind & body-wise), when I was eating under 20g. I'm planning on being at about/below 50g during Whole30, which is a huge improvement from where I was. My consumption plans are protein (of course), green-leafy veggies, and olive/coconut oil. No fruit, no grains, and no dairy. I look forward to getting back to healthy eating and being! I look forward to sharing in your success as well!
  • Akimajuktuq
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ideally I'm no carb. I did it for two months last spring and it was the best but then I let my big move derail me. I'm managing no carbs unless I buy a coffee at the shop by my work in which I can't resist adding cream (and I know it's not full fat cream). lol

I've done many long terms where I was at 20-25 g of carbs but even that didn't work for me.

I'm having a bit of coconut oil right now but will eventually eliminate it too and just have butter or nothing in my coffee. No other plant oils. Other than that, some light seasoning of pepper and garlic are all the plant foods I'm eating. Oh and wine when I'm camping no doubt! (but pressed with soda water so I'm satisfied on less)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    That's awesome! Wish I had the discipline to go no carbs, as my blood sugar would likely regulate to normal levels. But at 20g or below, I'm pretty much at normal levels. And yes, Wine is a must LOL!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    It was interesting cleaning out all the junk out my fridge and cupboards, although, some would call most of the foods "healthy." Although I've had some success with a modified version of the SAD, my success was short-lived. I've come to terms where I'm certain grains have no nutritional value to my body, most fruits have always been problematic, I don't eat dairy, so giving it up isn't a big deal. Processed sugar (splenda) will be a bit more challenging, but I'm willing to take this through the entire 30 days, and beyond.

Shooting for April 1st start date, while I wean on to the program versus starting cold-turkey.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It was interesting cleaning out all the junk out my fridge and cupboards, although, some would call most of the foods "healthy." Although I've had some success with a modified version of the SAD, my success was short-lived. I've come to terms where I'm certain grains have no nutritional value to my body, most fruits have always been problematic, I don't eat dairy, so giving it up isn't a big deal. Processed sugar (splenda) will be a bit more challenging, but I'm willing to take this through the entire 30 days, and beyond.

Shooting for April 1st start date, while I wean on to the program versus starting cold-turkey.

When I did the Paleo kitchen purge, I ended up with about 6 bags of food. I gave it to my daughter and her roommates (felt a little bit guilty about that, but they would eat anything and were broke lol)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    My neighbor was grateful to get the free stuff, so I didn't feel too bad.
  • closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    April 1. Hmmm. I think I can eat the rest of the cheese in my house by then. The hard part will be coffee. . . I can't drink it black. :)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I believe bulletproof coffee is Whole30 friendly, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.
  • closetlibrarian
    Options
    I think if you use coconut oil and forego the butter it is. I'll probably go back to canned coconut milk.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Well, coconut oil or ghee can go in coffee, blend with immersion blender. (Imo most people do tolerate butter well, but not everyone, and some ghee isn't great either, nor coconut oil... I'm thinking I could try other animal fats like bacon grease! lol)

But. I do take issue with using the word "can't". It's a choice. You could avoid coffee, put whatever you want in it, try other stuff, or drink it black. I don't love it black either but if the coffee is really really good coffee I can learn to like it if I choose, or not if I don't.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So I have to do some research on the whole30 to be able to follow it, but I am game for a 30 day challenge. going to do it here? Were did you have in mind? Daily checkin/support?
  • GrokRockStar
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's the link to the page that I've followed: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

And yes, how about we check in daily (here), just to share experiences, and provide support/encouragement. It's easy for me to give up if I'm not accountable, so I'll check in to keep myself motivated. Two more days!
  • brennerjlb
    Options
    AWESOME - Starting for sure on Friday. I will be researching until then. I will try and figure out what I am setting MFP at as for carb/protein/fat. Do you know that? Thanks for starting! And the link.
  • GrokRockStar
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • brennerjlb
    Options
    Lunch over - I am fully educated on Whole30. Bummer about the scale rule - but I will go all in (: I am actually excited. Until this weekend - then I will be CRABBY!
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Yeah, I pretty much gave everyone around me heads-up that I’m gonna be a cranky bear for a few days :#
  • closetlibrarian
    Options
    I'm in. Did a bit of a pantry purge yesterday. April Fool's day is exempt, right. . .? (kidding)
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    My Whole30 Plan:

Food for the month: Eggs (boiled, scrambled), beef (pressure cooked), bison (pan fried) chicken (grilled), fish (tilapia grilled, baked), veggies (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cucumber, tomatoes, cauliflower (rice & mashed), spring salad mix, asparagus, onions, garlic, bell pepper), and fats (avocado, black olives, mac nuts. coconut oil, ghee). I like to keep it simple and pretty much eat the same types of foods every day. My food goal is not to exceed 40g net carbs daily.

Starting Weight (arghh): 193lbs. I know I’m only supposed to weigh once, but I’ll likely check in periodically to see how I’m going.

I may exercise, but it depends. If so, it’ll be later when I’m feeling more energetic and will consist of brisk walking, squats (maybe burpees) and some light weights.

One more day!
  • RiottGirl73
    RiottGirl73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited to see this! I just agreed to start a Whole30 challenge with some facebook friends earlier this week, and am starting tomorrow. Mind if I join in?