Healthy Foods Nutritional challenge

Options
Melodieccurn
Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Here you list your favorite foods and why you like them , texture, taste color or seasoning.

Replies

• lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Ok I love oranges. All kinds of oranges. Clementines, navel, Cara Cara, Blood oranges. I like to peel them or slice them, even juice them. I could eat them all day. They quench my thirst to. The texture is so juicy and they are delicious. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Cara Cara for sure!
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Tacos. They can be made so many different ways, ground meat, grilled, or in the crock pot, you can even go vegetarian or vegan with them! You can season them in a lot of different ways and never get bored with them. And if you don't want all the calories from the shells, you can turn them into salads and just crumb a few chips or a shell on top of them.
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    @mswanger09 You stole my favorite! :p
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm big on rice, which alone isn't the best for you. It's so versatile and can take on any flavor which any seasoning. My favorite recipe that I grew up eating was making rice with chicken broth, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning, then throwing in a ton of cheese and eating it off tortilla chips. I used to make this aaallll the time (at least once a week).

I haven't made it in a while now (because I'll eat far too much of it), but I've started adding in veggies like corn, peppers, even chopped green beans (it gets hidden!) and different types of beans. I haven't perfected my brown rice cooking skill, but it's something I really should work on (with that amount of seasoning, you can't taste any difference between white and brown rice.)
  • llmg970
    llmg970 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This is difficult for me I have many different foods that I absolutely love and it could depend on the time of year. I absolutely love soups on the winter especially lasagna soup. Love this as it is an easy soup that has a taste like lasagna and even has some cheesy yum

Anytime of the year I live ice cream, that just melts in your mouth and is so creamy and it needs ta have some sort of chocolate covered something in it

I am a huge fan of cooking on my grill. Love my rotisserie for a nice prime rib roast with garlic and pepper seasonings and my slow cooked fall off the bone spareribs

And lastly I love a good burger. Well done with sweet baby rays smothered and cooked on top of the burger. Don't forget the fixings that go with it

Sorry for the long post, it is just before lunch and I am so very hungry and this is just making me hungrier
    :)
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    hawkins410 wrote: »

Sorry, not sorry! :p LOL

I think it is really more like great minds and all!
  • hawkins410
    hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I love Jamba Juice Chunky Strawberry Energy Bowls! They are rich, creamy, sweet, and have a tasty crunch. Plus you can fool yourself into thinking you are eating something healthy. BUT, they pack a whopping 920 calories/24 oz! :o So, as an alternative, I make my own using Light & Fit Greek Protein Yogurt (I use two, so 160 cal.), 2 Tbs. Reduced Fat Peanut Butter (170 cal.), 1 cup frozen blueberries (80 cal.), all mixed together in the blender. I let it sit in the freezer for about an hour to harden up a bit and then top with a small handful of crushed almonds (100 cal) to get that fun crunch. Altogether the calorie count is down to 510, and it is a lot healthier.
    Perfect for a weekend treat after a long hike in the heat! :)

• bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Since I love carbs (potatoes & pasta), My new obsession Is cauliflower. I love it because it ALMOST tastes like potatoes. So far I have made cauliflower soup, mashed cauliflower, cauliflower au gratin, and roasted cauliflower. ( I have recipes for cauliflower buffalo bites and fried cauliflower rice, but I haven't made those yet). I also love sweet potato's (another replacement for baked potatoes & fries). And I am loving Zoodles (squash or zucchini noodles) Which I use instead of pasta.
  • CeruleanCoffee
    CeruleanCoffee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    mswanger09 wrote: »
    Tacos. They can be made so many different ways, ground meat, grilled, or in the crock pot, you can even go vegetarian or vegan with them! You can season them in a lot of different ways and never get bored with them. And if you don't want all the calories from the shells, you can turn them into salads and just crumb a few chips or a shell on top of them.

Tacos are one of my favorites, too! I often cook for groups and it's one of the more allergy friendly/group friendly foods I've found!

• CeruleanCoffee
    CeruleanCoffee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love veggies! I love their different textures and versatility. My stand-by vegetable is sugar snap peas. The crunchy texture and soft taste helps it to pair well with different things - hummus is my favorite.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one for me as I don't have a favorite food ... but if I had to choose one food that I would want to always have available it would be the egg.

What I like about eggs is that they are healthy and versatile. They are quick cooking, keep well, can even be pickled and they taste good. Their texture is ever changing also depending on how they are prepared and their purpose in a dish.

I add one egg to my almost-daily oatmeal bowl to provide some extra protein and healthy fat so that I can eat my whole grain and not have my blood sugar spike from the carb content of the meal. I just whisk an egg into 1 cup of water until combined, then add my 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats and microwave until cooked to my liking. Then I top the bowl with some cinnamon and fruit ... and with my morning coffee I am off to a good start on the day. I do not add sweatener or salt to my morning porridge as I find the taste just fine without them.

A long time ago, when I was a little girl, I couldn't stand eggs. That's because my mom made an egg for my breakfast every day and she liked to cook them in butter sunny side up until the yolks were hard. More often than not they ended up overcooked and had an unpleasant sulfer aftertaste in my mouth, thus I began to refuse to eat eggs. It wasn't until I cooked breakfast for my husband, years later, that I learned to like eggs again. He liked them over-easy with a side of German style home fried potatoes.

To this day, I'll make a fast dinner for myself by frying up one potato and adding a couple of over-easy eggs to them, with a side of tomato slices. Yumm ... however that dish can easily become too fatty so I shred the potato and cook it in just a tiny bit of oil like a hashbrown, and use a non-stick green pan to cook the eggs so they can be done without much butter in the pan.

• leti126
    leti126 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    mswanger09 wrote: »
    hawkins410 wrote: »

Sorry, not sorry! :p LOL

I think it is really more like great minds and all!

Team 6 love of tacos right here too!!

• leti126
    leti126 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is hard because I love soo many different foods tacos, pizza, burgers, chocolate, ice cream ugh all so good!

But I guess I'll share that one of my other favorites is homemade mashed potatoes! I love them country style chunky with the red peels! My mom makes me the most yummy mashed potatoes when I go home to visit which is another reason I think I love them so much!

If we're talking more healthy favorite food I'll go with strawberries! I love picking them in the summer! So sweet and refreshing and I put them in everything in the summer!
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    mmm too many to list! I am going to with a few ingredient's. Olive oil and garlic, we use it all the time it adds such great flavor to meats or veggies! Eating healthy doesn't have to be bland and boring its all about the flavor in my house :smiley:
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love pierogies and onions with bacon and sour cream. I love the saltiness of the bacon, the creaminess of the cream and the strong onion and cheese flavour. I can lighten it up by using 0% sour cream, and leaving out the bacon from time to time. Onions are soooooooo good and good for you. BTW, I figure all food is healthy in moderation, so I can add portion control to the mix.
  • MrTubbs
    MrTubbs Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Food Analysis:

Favorite Foods:
    Cereal (light brown, crunchy, easy) - portion control
    Granola bars (grown, crunchy/chewy, easy) - by healthy bars (less sweet = less cravings)
    Soups (all colors, easy) - minimize sodium
    Breakfast Sandwich (light brown, chewy, easy) - don't add sauce, add veggies instead
    Yogurt (white, soft, easy) - add berries for fiber
    Chicken (white/brown, chewy) - prepare ahead. It is one of my only non easy access foods
    Asian Pears (white, crunchy, easy) - try to have more on hand so I pick it over other easy foods
    Coffee (black, easy) - stay black, no cream/sugar
    Water (clear, easy) - drink before eating meal. Try to remember to drink water at work and not be distracted.

So, from my analysis I really have an affinity to easy made foods that are whitish/brown.
    I should probably pre-make meals that are healthy, and then accessible for when I want to eat. And try to add a little color.
  • tfisher678
    tfisher678 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like all types of food..even the healthy stuff like okra I have to watch my portion control especially if I add salt. I like tortilla soup. Easy slow cooker for busy days and I add plain Greek yogurt to sub for sour cream. I also like sauteed greens cooked in avocado oil...pbfit peanut powder banana smoothie with almond milk for a sweet treat. I don't have 1 go to only food, or at least I always find something to replace it...variety is the spice of life!
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes! Not the ones you can get at the supermarket now, but the luscious, late summer harvest kinds. Salty, sweet, and/or tangy, I love them all.
  • leannev68
    leannev68 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My food weaknesses are breads! Especially anything baked at the cottage bakery where our cabin is in the summer. Dangerous!!! The scent in there!!! Yum! Also, I really enjoy high quality cut meats! I can never say no to prime rib!! Steaks on the BBQ!!! Ok. I'm getting hungry writing this...just have to remember...moderation is key right?
  • bsehorn
    bsehorn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican food (Americanized); beef enchiladas, chicken soft tacos, crunchy beef tacos, chicken nachos, quesadillas...and I like it a little spicy! Even if I am eating something soft like an enchilada, I like something a little crunchy with it. I try to make it as healthy as possible, but it's hard to do sometimes.