10 Years Later ( How Do You Maintain the Weight Loss)

Options
tosha250
tosha250 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003 I have gain most of the weight back. In the last few years I have been working to lose the weight. I started at 261 lbs in 2002. I was down to 163 lbs and now I am at 225. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to get the weight back down?

Replies

• lissaeve124
    lissaeve124 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am struggling with this as well. Had surgery in 2009, lost 100lbs and have put 50lbs back on. Im not sure why this is happening to us and Id love to know the best ways for folks with our bodies to lose this weight!

Thanks for posting.
  • dawnfivetwelve
    dawnfivetwelve Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Have gained back 40
  • melissashea68
    melissashea68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also had RNY in 2003. I started at 380 and lost down to 199. I found out I was pregnant at 17 months post-op. I gained back up to 240 and stayed there until recently. I have had 3 children since, lost the weight and stayed at 240. After my youngest, I had the Implanon birth control put in. I gained 50 lbs in 6 months!! I have since had it removed and have managed to lose back down to 279. Ugh. But it is HARD to lose now! I don't know what plan to follow, as most info is for post-ops in the first year. It is another game 13 years out.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think tracking your food is a good start. That way you can really see where the calories are coming from and the nutritional breakdown and make adjustments from there. Focus on protein and water, add more vegetables, stay away from processed carbs and added sugar.

Calorie amounts are a very personal choice, but I wouldn't go under 1200 a day. There are many BMR and TDEE calculators that could help. I would say cut about 500 calories from your daily TDEE and try to exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Even just walking can help!

Some folks swear by the 5 day pouch test to somewhat reset the feeling of restriction from your surgery and break the sugar craving cycle. Remember when eating a meal to try and eat dense protein first to help feel full faster. If you need to snack make sure its not mindless snacking and a purposeful healthy snack that will help stave off hunger until your next meal. Typically I aim for snacks to be 100-150 calories and protein rich. Hydration is also very important and taking your vitamins.
  • lissaeve124
    lissaeve124 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am super curious about the pouch test. Anyone want to do it together?

I agree, I don't feel like there are tons of resources for folks 5+ years out.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What is dense protein murphyraven?
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    annglenn wrote: »

Think meats and cheeses; not sliders or carby foods. 2-3oz of chicken or lean steak will stay with you longer than yogurt, mac n cheese etc. Some don't find shakes sit long (keeping you full) in comparison to dense protein.
  • annglenn
    annglenn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    boomerkae wrote: »
    annglenn wrote: »

• julieandmaddy
    julieandmaddy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just had a meeting with my surgeon yesterday to help me get back on track. I had RNY in 2002, lost over 140 pounds and was happy to maintain at about 120 for several years. The last couple of years, jobs, kids and life have been allowed to take over. I have gained about 12 pounds that HAVE to come off before it gets any worse. I also have been non compliant with my vitamin intake and it is showing in my lab work. SO, this week, I have been tracking my food intake and I ordered the vitamins that he suggested yesterday. I do not have a choice, if I want to live and be healthy, I have got to get back on track. My surgeon gave me a meal plan, aiming at 1000-1100 calories a day and 60-80 grams of protein. No snacks, drink 64 ounces of water and TAKE MY VITAMINS. I know 12 pounds seems like so little, but in my head, it might as well be a whole ton.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @julieandmaddy 12 pounds IS a whole ton. No one's struggle is greater than anyone else's. You've come a long way and maintaining what you have is huge. You can get back on track and thank you for sharing your story. I'm not even seven months out, it helps reality set in to see posts like yours...so far post-op, and so much maintained. The struggles are important and kudos to you for getting the help you needed and not letting yourself spiral.
  • jen82cook
    jen82cook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2007 was almost 300 pounds and 5 ft I lost over 170 pounds last two years iv gained 40 pounds went to my gastrointestinal doctor and I had hardly any b12 or iron in my body been getting shots on daily bases and I had 5 rounds of iron infusion. Seems to really help me get on track. Now I got my energy back see if I can lose this weight again
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Getting back on track is exactly right! You probably know what to do. It's not easy, but you know you can do it!