Garmin 920 won't pair to cadence sensor

Options
marlt
marlt Posts: 27 Member
I just bought a Garmin 920 last month and I love it. I also bought the new ant+ Garmin magnetless speed and cadence sensors for my bike. I had them installed in a bike shop. When I went to pair the sensors to my watch the speed sensor worked right away but my watch doesn't seem to "see" the cadence sensor. I tried to just search for sensors and then I also choose cadence sensor from my watch menu and it still didn't sync. Any one have any ideas of what else to try? Note: I live quite far from the bike shop otherwise I would just take it back and get them to figure it out. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Did you check to see if the cadence sensor has a battery in it?

I am not familiar with the magnetless ones, but on my GSC-10 when the pedal passes the sensor there is a little LED that flashes. If yours has something like that check to see if the sensor is working.
  • marlt
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Did you check to see if the cadence sensor has a battery in it?

I am not familiar with the magnetless ones, but on my GSC-10 when the pedal passes the sensor there is a little LED that flashes. If yours has something like that check to see if the sensor is working.

I'll check that tonight and make sure it has a battery. Not sure if there's a light or not so I'll check that too.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Turn the bike over and spin the pedal while you are syncing. That is what activates the sensor. It comes with a battery from what I recall ( I have one too) so that shouldn't be the problem.
  • marlt
    Options
    hazleyes81 wrote: »
    Turn the bike over and spin the pedal while you are syncing. That is what activates the sensor. It comes with a battery from what I recall ( I have one too) so that shouldn't be the problem.

Do you mean to turn the bike upside down, and then spin the pedal while its upside down?
  • hazleyes81
    Options
    Yes. Or of course you could just get on and ride and pair it. Whichever way you want to do it.
  • marlt
    Options
    Nope, still can't get it to pair. Any other thoughts? Is it possible to sensor is no good/defective?
  • hazleyes81
    Options
    Sorry, i don't come here often. My guess is it isn't any good, the battery is dead, or you aren't doing something right. If no light is coming on when you are spinning the pedal, then try replacing the battery. If it still doesn't come on, the sensor is defective. If it does come on (in either case) you aren't pairing right. Try taking the speed sensor off and putting it somewhere else (as well as any other ANT+ devices) while you pair the cadence sensor.
  • marlt
    Options
    Ok, update on this to complete the thread. It seems as though my initial battery, installed at the bike shop (brand new) was dead. I installed another battery on my own and for some reason that one was also dead. I have installed a third battery and tested it with a battery tester to make sure it was good and the sensor has been working perfectly for the past few days. So, moral of the story a new battery doesn't mean its not dead! Thanks for the comments.
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    This is happening to me right now... it worked perfectly on my first ride, and after all the software updates, it won't work anymore. I will check for the light and possibly change the battery if I don't see it. What a hassle.

Thanks for posting.