Why Mindful Eating is for me

lknjohnson
lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
Hi, I just join the group and hopefully more people will too. A little about me I am currently 8 months pregnant and I have a binge eating disorder. I did the all of the crash diets, diets supplements, working out everyday, and counting calories. I lost weight and then gain it all back plus more. I am a emotional eater and I have moments where I would go on binges, not for hours, but for days. I would hide food from my spouse and eat for hours when he wasn't home. I didn't realize how bad it was until he said he notice that I started replacing food as if I never ate it at all, However he would see the evidence in the trash can. I came clean to him and myself about my binge eating. I want to do mindful eating because I feel like when I count calories, I look at food as numbers, I get obsessed and beat myself up when I have 1 calorie over my limit or when I go out with friend I can't enjoy myself. Well that stops now.

For the past 2 weeks I've been practicing mindful eating, eating in moderation and portion control. Not denying myself of my cravings but carefully listening to my body on when I am hunger or not. And when I feel a binge coming on, Writing down the triggers. I still read nutrition labels and check the content of calories, carbs and sugar but I don't really log. I just eat serving sizes that is listed on the labels. I watch my carb intake and sugar. I use measuring cups or my scale when I eat at home and when I eat out I just choose a healthier option or if its not so healthy, I just eat half of it. So far in 2 weeks I lost 9lbs, No I am not trying to lose weight while pregnant but I am already overweight and my doctor said it was fine because now that put me in the right range on weight gain for my pregnancy. However I don't need to continue to lose at this point.
But hopefully mindful eating works for me. I want a health relationship with food and be in tune with my body on when to eat and stop eating. No more being stuff or extra full but eating until I am satisfied. I know it will take some time to overcome my disorder, and it won't happen overnight but as long as I understand why I do what I do, is when I can get to the root of the problem and do better. No longer is this a quick fix for me, but a lifestyle. I will not just work out to lose weight but to train to be better and stronger. That is my goal. Sorry so long! lol

Replies

• sarahwylder
    sarahwylder Posts: 7 Member
    I just wanted to say good luck! You sound like you have a sensible plan here. How are you doing now?